No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University Hockey 2017-18: The Grant Potulny Era begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northern Michigan University Hockey 2017-18: The Grant Potulny Era begins

Big win for NMU tonite.... NMU 5 UAH 2 (Final).... The 5:00 Major penalty was definitely a factor in the NMU win.... BG (22-10-6) @ NMU (23-13-3) next weekend in WCHA Semifinal.... MTU (19-15-5) @ Mankato (28-7-1) in the other Semifinal.... "Go Cats Go" as Goofus would say!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
      IMO, the major wasn't warranted, but that's just from the comforts of my couch and the WCHA.tv feed. Cats got a break from the call and took advantage of it.

UAH is a good team. For your sake, I hope you don't loose too many players. For the Wildcats sake, I hope they all sign pro contracts this summer.

On to the semi-finals for the first time since the 2010-11 season.
      “Contact to the head. Any time a player makes direct contact with the head or neck of an opponent it is a major penalty and game misconduct at a minimum.”

Elbow square in the facemask. The official had no choice.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
        IMO, the major wasn't warranted, but that's just from the comforts of my couch and the WCHA.tv feed. Cats got a break from the call and took advantage of it
        From my viewpoint in the arena I didn't think it was warranted either. Head contact is head contact though. I think it could have gone either way.

Comment

2017-18 NMU Hockey (23-13-3) Scoring Leaders

March 5th, 2018

Jr. C Adam Rockwood (8 Goals & 37 Assists) = 45 Points
          Jr. F Troy Loggins (21 Goals & 23 Assists) = 44 Points
          So. D Philip Beaulieu (10 Goals & 29 Assists) = 39 Points
          So. F Darien Craighead (17 Goals & 15 Assists) = 32 Points
          Sr. F Robbie Payne (22 Goals & 9 Assists) = 31 Points
          Sr. F Zach Diamantoni (5 Goals & 16 Assists) = 21 Points
          Fr. C Joseph Nardi (8 Goals & 11 Assists) = 19 Points
          Jr. F Denver Pierce (13 Goals & 5 Assists) = 18 Points
          Sr. D Jordan Klimek (3 Goals & 15 Assists) = 18 Points
          Jr. D Ryan Black (0 Goals & 18 Assists) = 18 Points

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            “Contact to the head. Any time a player makes direct contact with the head or neck of an opponent it is a major penalty and game misconduct at a minimum.”

I understand; it's to eliminate the head hunting/concussions. Leaving it up to the discretion of the referee can cause problems.

Just one of those breaks the Cats have long been burned by that they finally were on the good end of the call.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

It was pretty clear, and it sucked. Let's put it most importantly: the guy that got hit (Payne) is apparently okay.

I hate that UAH lost, but I don't mind losing to NMU. Go ground those Falcons!

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Heckuva series. Let’s see an all UP final!!!

Comment

• Reserved tickets for this weekend's semifinal series are $19, up from the usual $17. Does anyone know if it's NMU or the league that sets the prices?

Comment

I’ve heard the league charges schools a flat fee to host each game. Ticket prices are left up to the schools to cover that expense.

There could be a rule against how much more you can raise prices but I have no idea.
                    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Bwahahaha. Fire Grant Potulny!

Totally kidding. Alabama has been trouble all season for us. 2-2-0, and I believe it was 11 goals apiece scored for each team for the season. If you really thought UAH was just going to roll over after Friday night, you obviously haven't looked at the schedule and seen that the Cats couldn't win against Huntsville on Saturdays.

In fact, in four years (including tonight), the Cats have gone just 2-5-1 on Saturday nights against UAH.

The only ones who thought this weekend was a "bye" week to the second round were the same ones who thought the Cats could be an at-large qualifier for the NCAAs.
                      I knew Huntsville was going to give us trouble. Good solid goaltending and the team does a nice job taking shot lanes away. I was worried about this series.
                      “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                      – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                      when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

• Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                        I’ve heard the league charges schools a flat fee to host each game. Ticket prices are left up to the schools to cover that expense.

There could be a rule against how much more you can raise prices but I have no idea.
                        This is why student tickets cost money as well. For example, at Minnesota State they allocate non season tickets to the student body at a first come, first serve basis every Wednesday before a home game. (Season ticket holders pay $30/annually, and can pick up their tickets Monday and Tuesdays)

All students pay $7/ticket for playoff tickets.
                        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post

I would argue that the officials do have a choice. During the last home game at UAA, one of the Seawolf players was hit with a stick to his head. It even cut his forehead and he was bleeding pretty badly. The refs didn't even blow the whistle, so our trainer went on the ice DURING play and got the player to the locker room. He returned wearing another jersey, with a different number and no name on it ... clearly his jersey had a lot of blood on it. And NO PENALTY was called. So the officials do have a choice. Sometimes they show better judgement than at other times.
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            I understand; it's to eliminate the head hunting/concussions. Leaving it up to the discretion of the referee can cause problems.

Just one of those breaks the Cats have long been burned by that they finally were on the good end of the call.
                            It looked like the refs reviewed the penalty with replay before assessing the 5 minute major, from what I saw on the WCHA feed. If that is the case I was wondering why major penalties can be reviewed in the playoffs but not the regular season?

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                              It looked like the refs reviewed the penalty with replay before assessing the 5 minute major, from what I saw on the WCHA feed. If that is the case I was wondering why major penalties can be reviewed in the playoffs but not the regular season?
                              It's probably easier to have someone staged off-ice to assist with reviews when there are just four games a night.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                I would argue that the officials do have a choice. During the last home game at UAA, one of the Seawolf players was hit with a stick to his head. It even cut his forehead and he was bleeding pretty badly. The refs didn't even blow the whistle, so our trainer went on the ice DURING play and got the player to the locker room. He returned wearing another jersey, with a different number and no name on it ... clearly his jersey had a lot of blood on it. And NO PENALTY was called. So the officials do have a choice. Sometimes they show better judgement than at other times.
                                Same officials worked both the last Anchorage home game and this weekend’s series in at NMU. You do realize that they may not have have the same view as you did in Anchorage.

Comment

Working...
                                X