WCHA 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2017-18 Season

Watch out, fellow WCHA teams. Our #12 is just getting going!

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...110717aac.html
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Watch out, fellow WCHA teams. Our #12 is just getting going!

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...110717aac.html
      Let's she how she does against the top teams. Speaking of, the WCHA has a love for Wisconsin goaltenders as evidenced by KC's defensive player of the week award for the 2nd consecutive week. She stopped 35 shots in 2 games or a little less than 6 a period or a shot every 3 or so minutes! Does this not seem like a pretty light workload? Now was there not a defenseman out there that had a great weekend that is more worthy of this award? Week after week, we see goalies being recognized for the defensive award while the unsung heroes playing defense are ignored. One solution might be to have a "Goalie of the Week Award" and a "Defensive Player of the Week Award" as is done in other conferences. Then and only then will good defensive performances by valuable defensive minded players be recognized....

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
        Week after week, we see goalies being recognized for the defensive award while the unsung heroes playing defense are ignored. One solution might be to have a "Goalie of the Week Award" and a "Defensive Player of the Week Award" as is done in other conferences. Then and only then will good defensive performances by valuable defensive minded players be recognized....
        Even when a defenseman is chosen it's invariably because she had a good game offensively, not because of her defensive performance. I suspect the problem is that those voting can not possibly see all the games, so they have nothing else to go on other than what shows up in the box scores.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Even when a defenseman is chosen it's invariably because she had a good game offensively, not because of her defensive performance...
          Ask, and ye shall receive. Will try to recognize some portion of the defensive effort in this installment of the Stars.

Final Score From Friday, November 10th
          Ohio State 2
          Minnesota State 1

Buckeyes Bust Blockade
          The Buckeyes faced a determined defensive stand by the Mavericks in the series opener. Intense back-checking made odd man rushes hard to come by. Good positioning and fearless shot blocking made quality shots equally scarce. But the Buckeyes gained strength as the game went on, and finally broke through with five minutes left in regulation time.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Minnesota State Honorable Mention: Third Line Forwards
          The Maverick back-check was a full roster effort, but the hustle of the third line was particularly noticeable. Other contributions by the line: Corbin Boyd was 9 of 13 in the face-off circle. Hanna Davidson had 4 blocks. Sara Bustad had a couple of blocks of her own.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Amanda Zeglen
          OK, 13 shots isn't an overly taxing evening. But Amanda played quite well and came very close to a shutout. Yes, one wraparound shot leaked through -- a shot that I know Zeglen would like another try at. But otherwise it's nothing but congratulations to Amanda on her first NCAA win.

#3 Star: (tie) Emma Wittchow, Minnesota State; and Jordan Jackson, Minnesota State
          The first 'D' Pair led the stingy, and occasionally suffocating, Maverick defense. Both players had 3 blocked shots. Both were +1 in a losing cause. No need to break this tie; both earn a star.

#2 Star: McKenna Wesloh, Ohio State
          McKenna was very active at both ends of the ice. With good size to go along with the hustle, Freshman Wesloh is emerging nicely as a defensive force. Full Disclosure To D2D: Yes, her McKenna's initial shot led to the first Buckeye goal. So again, offensive production creeps into the recognition. All I can is this star is a package deal.

#1 Star: Maddy Field, Ohio State
          While McKenna's Star is a first occasion. I've long since lost track of how many times I've recognized Maddy. But her #1 Star is richly deserved for this game. Field was +2 for the contest, the only player to earn that distinction. Maddy led a tireless onslaught on the Mankato net, putting nine shots on goal by herself. The game-winning shot was the best of the bunch; a top shelf laser beam that cut right through the MSU barrier.

I would be remiss if didn't mention the assist on the GWG. Lauren Boyle intercepted a Maverick clearing attempt, then whistled a gorgeous cross-ice pass directly to Field. As you know, Maddy did the rest.

Immediately Up Next: I'm About To Leave For The Ice Rink For Today's 12:07 Rematch.

Comment

Schlossmann at the Herald in Grand Forks is still writing women's hockey.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...w-destinations

The peripherals (writers, interviews, video, announcing) in Grand Forks around the women's team was one of the very best in women's hockey and is sorely missed.

Don't forget to send an occasional "Go To Hell" to President Kennedy and UND.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
              Don't forget to send an occasional "Go To Hell" to President Kennedy and UND.
              "Go to hell" seems redundant considering they are already in Grand Forks

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, November 11th
                Ohio State 5
                Minnesota State 3

Same Recipe, Larger Portions
                More goals were scored in the rematch. But otherwise Saturday afternoon provided another helping of the Friday evening fare. The plucky Mavericks jumped out to an early lead. The Buckeyes fought gamely to pull even; then broke through and finished the job in the third period. Good thing hockey has three periods. The Buckeyes started these games on a simmer. It took a while to reach a full Boyle.

It didn't affect the game itself, but I would be remiss if didn't mention McKenna Wesloh's experience on Saturday. That morning I wrote that McKenna was "emerging nicely as a defensive force." Little did I know. A short while later, I saw her in full goalie gear, taking shots in warm-ups. Ever feel like an insurance policy? I'm guessing that McKenna was just as glad that no claim was filed on this occasion! Overall, a pretty memorable weekend for the Freshman from Elk River, MN.

Minnesota State Honorable Mention: The Power Play
                The Maverick PP applied a lot of pressure; particularly during a brief 6 on 4 sequence as the game was winding down. The MSU PP also opened the scoring. Good thing the Buckeyes stayed mostly out of the box.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Charly Dahlquist
                When your first line center is also one of your hardest workers, that's a special thing. Charly brings lots of energy to the rink every time, but Saturday she took her game to the next level. With one assist she didn't make a huge splash on the scoresheet, but she kept many a play alive with her aggressive play along the walls and in the slot. To my eye, it looked Mankato was making a special effort to shut down the Buckeyes' top line. Or, maybe the D pair of Jackson & Wittchow is just that good. Regardless, on Friday they largely succeeded. But on Saturday, the Dahlquist-to-Skaggs tying goal was at the heart of the breakthrough.

Michigan State Honorable Mention: The Guy In The Green Spartans Hockey Jersey
                Don't know the full story. Perhaps someone told him that MSU was playing hockey at the OSU Ice Rink? I am going guess that he opted to leave the American Rules Football Game at halftime. But hey, if Women's Hockey won another fan over the weekend, that's a good thing!

#3 Star: Jordan McLaughlin, Minnesota State
                Just 8 seconds into the middle period McLaughlin, along with teammates Amanda Conway & Jordan Jackson, struck with lightning quickness to grab a two goal lead. In the end, that lead didn't hold up. But at the time, it looked like it might be the key moment of the game. I'm not sure if that was a set play or just good hockey instincts. But that goal had a wow factor.

#2 Star: Julianna Iafallo, Ohio State
                A hat trick of primary assists lands Julianna in the number two slot.

#1 Star: Lauren Boyle, Ohio State
                Pretty easy selection; Lauren's performance on Saturday was a tour-de-force. With 2 goals and 2 assists, her scoring totals jump off the page. There were no defensive blemishes, as evidence by the fact that Boyle was +4 for the game. Lauren's performance was the very definition of the word hustle. Nice to see all that hard work rewarded with a bountiful harvest of points.

Up Next: Road Trip To Bemidji State.

Comment

I am thankful that Kelly Schultz is doing "This Week in the Women's WCHA"! I appreciate her efforts and I don't think we can take any contributions for granted. She seems to do a good job with PBP for the Beavers, as well.

Since I'm at it I'm thankful for Dan Hamann's PBP and interviews for the Gophers home and away and all of it. He does a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    I am thankful that Kelly Schultz is doing "This Week in the Women's WCHA"! I appreciate her efforts and I don't think we can take any contributions for granted. She seems to do a good job with PBP for the Beavers, as well.

Since I'm at it I'm thankful for Dan Hamann's PBP and interviews for the Gophers home and away and all of it. He does a great job!
                    Stop praising Hammann! He is better than anyone currently doing the men's broadcast & they might poach him! (Wally used to be good but I think he spent too much tome with Woog, now it seems he wants to talk about everything but the game while the game is going on)

Comment

Final Score From Friday, December 1st
                      Ohio State 2
                      St. Cloud State 2
                      (Ohio State Wins Shootout 1-0)

Another Serving Of Meatloaf
                      I've made this reference before, but it applies again. When you get a tie on home ice, that first standings point is the one you really need. Finding yourself in the shootout, you really want that second point. But without that third point, there ain't no way you're ever going to love the final result. Still, as the song goes: Don't be sad. Cuz two out of three ain't bad.

From a glass-half-full perspective, the Buckeyes rallied from a two goal deficit to earn the tie.

St. Cloud State Honorable Mention: Janine Alder
                      The New York Times published an article about another St. Cloud Goalie this week. Great piece. But just maybe they should have added a little shout out to Janine. Without Alder's 41 saves, the Huskies don't earn their standings point.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Grace Zarzecki
                      Zarzecki won the shootout with a heavy metal shot to the upper right hand corner. The goalies dominated the shootout -- until Grace rocked the rink.

#3 Star: (tie) Dana Rasmussen, St. Cloud State; Lara Kluge, St. Cloud State; and Kayla Friesen, St. Cloud State
                      That was the scoring line on the second Huskies goal. And in a more general sense, it was the Huskies scoring line, period. They accounted for both Visitor tallies; they were hungry and effective all throughout the contest.

BTW: Welcome back to Columbus, Dana. Great to see you doing so well.

#2 Star: (tie) Tatum Skaggs, Ohio State; and Emma Maltais, Ohio State
                      The freshman phenoms continue to impress. Two point nights for both. Seven shots from Emma; 5 shots from Tatum. They're always dangerous; just what you want from top line forwards.

#1 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
                      Dunne is both a stabilizing force and a sparkplug. All. Game. Long. In this case, if you trace both Buckeye goals back to the source, you'll find #33. On the first, a shot from the point. On the second, a perfect breakout pass. The latter doesn't show up on the scoresheet because hockey doesn't award tertiary assists. But some of us notice.

Jincy, watching you play is an honor. Thank you for being a hockey player.

Up Next: Today's 3:07 Rematch Between The Buckeyes & The Huskies

Comment

Regarding St. Cloud State Goalie Taylor Crosby:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/s...&nlid=34431758

Comment

So what does the playoff system look like this year with 7 teams?
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            So what does the playoff system look like this year with 7 teams?
                            Regular Season Champ gets a bye to the semis, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5.
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                              Regular Season Champ gets a bye to the semis, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5.
                              That sucks, I may be deprived of 2 more home games.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                That sucks, I may be deprived of 2 more home games.
                                ...and UW's only loss (so far) came after a bye week. As 2-through-7 are playing, UW will be getting a bye week. A 'good problem to have', but a potential problem nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                                X