Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2017-18 Season

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I like your insertion of lyrics into the 3 Stars! When it comes to our Bucks, I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.
    Point well taken. I know our "Sisters" down on the ice share that. And let's not forget the team made it happen two nights in row.

Go Bucks!

Comment

Final Score From Friday, February 16th
      Ohio State 4
      Bemidji State 0

High Water Marks

With Friday's win, the Buckeye's clinched 2nd Place in the WCHA Standings -- the best regular season finish in program history. As nicely chronicled on www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com, the evening saw a number of other records fall, including most wins in a season, most shutouts in a season, and career saves. It was a fitting start to Senior Weekend.

A rising tide lifts all boats. The tide has been rising all season long for this Buckeye team, and we're now in uncharted territory. Keep it going, Buckeyes. Your supporters will be glad to keep charting your progress as the water continues to rise.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Stars of the Stands: The Lauren Spring Fan Club
      Loved the youthful enthusiasm and creative signage that Lauren's entourage brought to the Ice Rink. I'm guessing Lauren did too.

Bemidji State Honorable Mention: Kiki Radke
      While the effort was certainly there, most of the Beavers spent most of the evening struggling to get positive results. But Kiki was a sparkling exception in the face-off circle, winning 10 of 12 draws.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Julianna Iafallo
      Two goals, and only an Honorable Mention? Well, when the whole team contributes, it gets crowded at the top. Julianna sealed the deal in the third period. First came an unassisted goal; forechecking pressure from Maddy Field helped produce the turnover on that one. Iafallo also proved to be a long range sniper, nailing a short-handed empty net goal from the neutral zone. No icing worries when you're short-handed!

#3 Star: Jacyn Reeves, Ohio State
      Lots of ice time Friday for the fourth line, and it was very nice to see. Reeves, along with linemates Erin Langermeier & Olivia Soares, proved to be highly effective energy players, noticeably inspiring the Buckeyes on the bench. Jacyn cracked the scoresheet with a smart one-time pass to Iafallo on the empty-netter.

#2 Star: Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State
      Coming back from injury, Kassidy didn't look 100%, and battled the puck at times. So we had to be content with limited results, right? Think again. All Sauve did was make 38 Saves and post her 9th Shutout of the season. Courageous performance. Our admiration for Kassidy grows with each passing week.

#1 Star: Tatum Skaggs, Ohio State
      Bemidji can be stingy. So Tatum's goals late in the first period, and early in the second, were enormous.

Being that I almost never miss a game in person, I rarely hear the play-by-play call on the live stream. But this time I checked out the highlight package on the website. Had to laugh out loud at the description of Skaggs' first goal as a "hand pass to herself." I was thinking Tatum knocked down the BSU pass with her glove, then ran down the resulting loose puck. But legalities aside, Skaggs created her own breakaway. From there, she squeezed a thrilling 5 hole shot into the net, an option I frankly didn't think was there as she entered the slot.

On the second tally, linemates Emma Maltais & Charly Dahlquist won a four player scrum along the boards in front of the Buckeye bench. The puck popped out to Tatum, and she quickly fired it into the far side of the Beaver net. The shot seemed to surprise the Bemidji goalie, who never moved on the play.

Up Next: Senior Day Festivities & The Rematch With Bemidji. The Usual Saturday Face-Off Time Of 3:07 Applies.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, February 17th
        Bemidji State 2
        Ohio State 1

Buckeyes Celebrate Seniors; Beavers Celebrate Win
        It stings a bit to lose on Senior Night. Bemidji State eked out the win to hand Ohio State just its second home ice loss of the year.

The defeat doesn't diminish the Buckeyes' magical season. Nor does it diminish the fine careers of the five Buckeye Seniors. But let's just say I'm grateful we've got another home ice opportunity next weekend, as the playoffs begin.

Honorable Mention: Ohio State's Senior Class
        Ohio State honored five Buckeye careers in pre-game ceremony on Saturday: #8 Dani Sadek; #9 Liv Halvorson; #13 Jessica Dunne; #18 Julianna Iafallo & #27 Lauren Spring. Best Senior Moment on the weekend? You'd probably point to Julianna's two Friday goals, and her Saturday assist. Iafallo was also a cumulative +3 for the series.

#3 Star: Jacqueline Kaasa, Bemidji State
        Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time. Of course it takes hockey sense and hard work to get to that place. Kara Werth fired a blast at the Buckeye net from the left wing boards. At the same time, Jacqueline was crashing the net from the right. As puck luck would have it, the Werth shot rebounded directly to Kaasa. The puck appeared to hit Jacqueline just above the right knee, and caromed into the net.

#2 Star: Kerigan Dowhy, Bemidji State
        Kerigan had a pretty manageable workload in the first two periods. But she faced a Buckeye onslaught in the third, as OSU urgently tried to tie the game. Dowhy stood tall, rejecting all 15 of the Buckeye SOG. Kerigan finished with 28 saves and an impressive win.

#1 Star: Alexis Joyce, Bemidji State
        Alexis was a defensive stalwart for the full 60 minutes, and would have earned a star on that basis alone. Still, the game-changing moment came on her offensive contribution. Teeing up the puck on the left point, Joyce launched an absolute bomb toward the Buckeye net. The initial shot beat Kassidy Sauve, but hit metal. The rebound came straight back, hit Sauve, and pinballed just over the goal line. More puck luck? Yes, a little of that. But my take is that Bemidji earned their breaks.

Up Next: 1st Round WCHA Playoff Series vs. Minnesota State. The Face-Off Times Are 6:07PM Friday; 3:07PM Saturday; & If Necessary, 3:07PM Sunday.
        Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-18-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Sounds like the Buckeyes had themselves a tough game.....3 Bemidji stars!

Comment

That's a fair reaction to what I wrote. But I've unintentionally misled you.

The game was very competitive. The Buckeyes got stronger as the game went on, gaining urgency after they fell behind. I just didn't feel there was any single OSU difference-maker who stood out from her teammates. In contrast, each of the 3 Bemidji contributions was vital to the upset.

Another Factor: Since I gave all three stars to OSU on Friday, it seemed appropriate to give all three to BSU on Saturday, given the split.

Finally, there's a lot of artistic license in my version of the 3 Stars. I've always assumed that this was beyond obvious. But for the record, I'm not grading players. Someone breaking down game film as a serious endeavor would likely come up with a different list.

Thanks for the comment!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
              Sounds like the Buckeyes had themselves a tough game.....3 Bemidji stars!
              Not really the case. Bemidji just got some bounces. As Coach Muzerall alluded to in the postgame interview, though, we need to play with a sense of urgency the entire game, not just in the third period after we get behind 2-1. Now that we are into playoff hockey where it's win or go home, I expect the Buckeyes to step it up like they have been known to do at the OSU Ice Rink. Practices will probably be tough this week after Saturday's loss, but come Friday, our kids will be ready to play.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                That's a fair reaction to what I wrote. But I've unintentionally misled you.

The game was very competitive. The Buckeyes got stronger as the game went on, gaining urgency after they fell behind. I just didn't feel there was any single OSU difference-maker who stood out from her teammates. In contrast, each of the 3 Bemidji contributions was vital to the upset.

Another Factor: Since I gave all three stars to OSU on Friday, it seemed appropriate to give all three to BSU on Saturday, given the split.

Finally, there's a lot of artistic license in my version of the 3 Stars. I've always assumed that this was beyond obvious. But for the record, I'm not grading players. Someone breaking down game film as a serious endeavor would likely come up with a different list.

Thanks for the comment!
                Gracias! You always do an amazing job with the three stars and it is always tasteful. I was curious about the game and how the local team played. Reading later comments on the ceremony, maybe the emotion of the ceremony pregame had something to do with the slow start, who knows.

The Buckeyes had an amazing season and expect them to be tough in the playoffs. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                  Reading later comments on the ceremony, maybe the emotion of the ceremony pregame had something to do with the slow start, who knows.
                  That is precisely why I think they should do that stuff after the games instead of before ... too emotional. It's been a great season, but from what I am reading, we cannot move up high enough to get into the top four of the pairwise and get a home game in the NCAA Tournament, so this coming weekend will be it when it comes to seeing the team at the OSU Ice Rink. Hope everyone shows up! We actually had what appeared to be a standing-room-only crowd Saturday, which was really neat to see. The announcer actually got on the microphone and requested that people scoot closer to each other.

Comment

All Conference teams:

http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1718/201802/feb23as.php

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2017-18 Season

Final Score From Friday, February 23rd
                      Ohio State 6
                      Minnesota State 0
                      (Buckeyes Lead Best of Three Series 1-0)

Offense of Olympic Proportions
                      It's been a remarkable week for Women's Hockey. The players in Pyeonchang gave us amazing passion, skill and determination. Maybe it's just my overactive imagination, but it felt like the Buckeyes drew inspiration from the heroic play in the Olympic games.

Regardless, the first home playoff game in 11 years didn't disappoint. The Buckeyes produced goals of every make and description, getting the playoff run off to a fine start. And in an unprecedented wrinkle for the 3 Stars, one player was so nice I named her twice. She shined so bright it just seemed right.

Honorable Mention: Amanda Zeglen, Ohio State
                      On this occasion we're honoring the offensive juggernaut. But we'd be remiss if we didn't mention that the Buckeye keeper was also a difference-maker. Amanda was a perfect 21 for 21 in saves. She really sparkled in the 2nd Period, when the Mavericks made their best offensive push.

#3 Star: Maddy Field, Ohio State
                      It was a Power Forward's masterpiece. Drives to the net with pedal to the metal. Precision marksmanship upon arrival. Three times Maddy proved to be an irresistible force, earning a playoff hat trick.

#2 Star: (tie) Lauren Boyle, Ohio State; Jincy Dunne, Ohio State; and Dani Sadek, Ohio State
                      The Buckeyes have relied heavily on three defenders all season long. If they played for Team Sweden, they'd be the Tre Kroner. Thankfully, they're all Red, White & Blue. Call them the Trident Defense.

As brilliant as our defensive core has been, I can't remember the last time all three were on the ice together. But on a Buckeye Power Player late in the first period, there they were, set up in an umbrella formation. Watching it was like opening up a Christmas package and finding a really cool toy. The toy didn't disappoint. Masterful passing from one to another. Then Lauren identified a target area inside the right post, took careful aim, and fired. Perfect placement.

#1 Star: (tie) Emma Maltais, Ohio State; Jincy Dunne, Ohio State; and Charly Dahlquist, Ohio State
                      The fourth goal simply had it all: Grit, Grace & Gold Medal Quality. Charly got things started with her tenacious forechecking, a talent we've come to crave. Dahlquist extracted the puck from along the boards, and served it well to Dunne. From the end line, Jincy launched a majestic stretch pass to Emma, creating a breakaway. Couldn't help but think of the USA stretch pass to Monique Lamoureux early Thursday morning. Emma was completely clear of the defense, essentially creating a shootout opportunity. The Maltais Five Hole Move was calm, practiced, polished and jaw-droppingly good. Couldn't help but think of the shootout heroics in the Gold Medal Game -- by both North American teams.

Up Next: Game 2 Of The WCHA Playoff Series. Face-Off At 3:07PM.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, February 24th
                        Ohio State 5
                        Minnesota State 2
                        (Buckeyes Win Best of Three Series 2-0)

Mavericks Stubborn; But Buckeyes Sweep
                        Clearly the Mavericks didn't have the series or the season they wanted. Dejection was detectable at various points of the weekend. And yet Mankato channeled the frustration into a strong compete level on Saturday.

In the end, things played out about the way you'd expect in a #2 vs. #7 match-up: A sweep, with one close game. It's fair to say that MSU is a few recruits away from making a serious run at a WCHA title. But's that's not to criticize the current Mavericks. They already have many gifted players in place. I'm pleased to honor a couple of them in this installment of the 3 Stars.

Meanwhile, the Buckeyes ended their opponent's season. Always a tough thing to do. And sometimes after a giant win, a team can experience a letdown. Stating the obvious, that's happened to Ohio State a couple of times this season. After Friday's offensive tour-de-force, that had to be a bit of a concern in the Buckeye camp. But there was no letdown this time.

Honorable Mention: Megan Hinze, Minnesota State
                        Great effort by the Maverick Defense, and Megan led the way. Despite the final three goal margin, Hinze was a +1 for the day.

#3 Star: Lauren Boyle, Ohio State
                        Lauren gave us a great two-way performance, as she always does. On offense, she finished with a three point night, collecting assists by passing, shooting and holding the zone. On defense she was constantly disrupting the Maverick attack with great anticipation and quick steals. Overall, she was a +4 to lead all players. Another fine game for Boyle.

#2 Star: Jordan McLaughlin, Minnesota State
                        Quite honestly Jordan made the play of the game. Maverick Goalie Chloe Crosby made a difficult save, and steered the rebound to her left, out of harm's way. McLaughlin collected the loose puck and made an end-to-end rush that Bobby Orr would have been proud of. Along the way, she made multiple Buckeyes miss. Not a good thing from a Buckeye perspective. But for a fan of the Women's WCHA, Jordan's skill and determination were thrilling to see. This will be my lasting image of the 2017-18 Minnesota State team, and I'm glad that's the case.

#1 Star: Maddy Field, Ohio State
                        Maddy has the Midas Touch right now, and we certainly hope she can keep that going. Or is that the Maddy Touch? Two more tallies gave her a robust total of 5 goals for the weekend. Field's first goal opened the scoring, getting the Buckeyes off on the right foot. The second was a vital response to the McLaughlin goal you just read about. True, Maddy's Saturday didn't end with a second hat trick. But these goals were actually more crucial than their Friday counterparts. A well-earned #1 Star.

Up Next: The Beat Goes On With The WCHA Final Face-Off In Minneapolis. Go Bucks!

Comment

Who all plans on being in Mpls for the finals? Maybe a meet up?

Comment

• WCHA needs to redo their playoff format and get rid of the last place team from the regular season. That makes a nice tidy format of 1v6, 2v5, 3v4. Will they be looking at that possible change for the future?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              WCHA needs to redo their playoff format and get rid of the last place team from the regular season. That makes a nice tidy format of 1v6, 2v5, 3v4. Will they be looking at that possible change for the future?
                              Which would basically ruin the Final Face-Off. With 3 surviving teams, you'd almost have to give the top seed a semi-final bye. Meaning a free win in the middle of the tourney, and a major rest advantage in title game.

If you're going to stack the deck that heavily in favor of the regular season champ, why have the conference tournament at all? Better to just give the auto-bid to the regular season champ.

I'm not automatically opposed to new formats. I do sincerely commend you for brainstorming. But I have to give a thumbs down to this particular idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Which would basically ruin the Final Face-Off. With 3 surviving teams, you'd almost have to give the top seed a semi-final bye. Meaning a free win in the middle of the tourney, and a major rest advantage in title game.

If you're going to stack the deck that heavily in favor of the regular season champ, why have the conference tournament at all? Better to just give the auto-bid to the regular season champ.

I'm not automatically opposed to new formats. I do sincerely commend you for brainstorming. But I have to give a thumbs down to this particular idea.
                                Ya my bad. I've been looking over a lot of conferences and what they all do and how many teams advance and simply had a brain fart. Here's my do-over:

Still get rid of 7. Top 2 get a "rest weekend" while 3 hosts 6 and 4 hosts 5 (best of 3 format). Final Faceoff: Lowest remaining seed then plays 1 while highest remaining seed plays 2. Winners advance to play each other for conference title.
                                Last edited by shelfit; 02-26-2018, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X