Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WCHA 2017-18 Season

Re: WCHA 2017-18 Season

Regarding St. Cloud State Goalie Taylor Crosby:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/s...&nlid=34431758

Let's go RED!

So what does the playoff system look like this year with 7 teams?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    So what does the playoff system look like this year with 7 teams?
    Regular Season Champ gets a bye to the semis, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Regular Season Champ gets a bye to the semis, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5.
    That sucks, I may be deprived of 2 more home games.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    That sucks, I may be deprived of 2 more home games.
    ...and UW's only loss (so far) came after a bye week. As 2-through-7 are playing, UW will be getting a bye week. A 'good problem to have', but a potential problem nonetheless.

Final Score From Saturday, December 2nd
    Ohio State 0
    St. Cloud State 0
    (Ohio State Wins Shootout 1-0)

Leftover Meatloaf; Accompanied By Le Shootout Du Jour
    The Meatloaf reference is retiring after this write-up, no matter what the second half of the season brings. But what to do when the same recipe produces the same result? Just like Friday, our scenario is that 2 out of 3 points ain't bad.

Another day, another serving. Whether this variety of meatloaf is comfort food I'll leave for the reader to decide. But I certainly haven't forgotten that for many on this board, watching a shootout is about as appealing as having a Spinal Tap.

I do agree with the opinion expressed by others that Saturday's game was actually better than Friday's, despite the lack of scoring in the re-match. Good compete level and good pace for both clubs. On the other hand, those who think good defense is dull fare were undoubtedly left with a major case of indigestion.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

#3 Star: (tie) Dani Sadek, Ohio State; and Emma Turbyville, St. Cloud State
    We'll let #8 and #10 represent their respective defensive corps. Turbyville had an especially noteworthy night, blocking 4 Buckeye shots.

#2 Star: (tie) Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State; and Emma Polusny, St. Cloud State
    Both goalies faced a number of difficult shots. Both were more than up to the task. Both recorded 65 Minute Shutouts. A double shutout. Now there's something you don't see every day. Or, for that matter, in most seasons.

#1 Star: Liv Halvorson, Ohio State
    Hate me if you must, but the #1 Star goes to the Shootout Goal Scorer. Despite the contempt that so many fans feel toward shootouts, today's players seem to genuinely embrace them. It was an authentically electric moment when Liv scored. Then, a few seconds later, she found herself at the bottom of an all-team hug pile.

As for the goal itself, Halvorson calmly skated down the middle of slot, slowed, then blew a slapshot by the SCSU Keeper. Liv's shot found the inside of the left post. A fine blast indeed.

One redeeming quality of shootouts is that they give unsung heroes a chance to shine. Which was certainly the case for this #1 Star.

Up Next: Final Exams; Followed By A Trip To Mercyhurst on December 15th & 16th.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post

Another day, another serving. Whether this variety of meatloaf is comfort food I'll leave for the reader to decide. But I certainly haven't forgotten that for many on this board, watching a shootout is about as appealing as having a Spinal Tap.
    so which is worse, a shootout or 3 on 3? neither is hockey
    at least in the WCHA they play 5 minutes of hockey if tied after 3, going straight to 3 on 3, that's just bizarre
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    so which is worse, a shootout or 3 on 3? neither is hockey
    at least in the WCHA they play 5 minutes of hockey if tied after 3, going straight to 3 on 3, that's just bizarre
    The extended argument on this board regarding shootouts (a few years back) was enough to last to last a lifetime. Don't remember for sure, but I think you missed the "fun" that time.

I will say a few words about 3 on 3. Back in the '70s, before the Gretzky Rule, 3 on 3 play was fairly common. It was certainly part of the sport back then. Teams with a superstar would instigate enough penalties to create the 3 on 3, then put the star on the ice with a greatly improved opportunity to score. The Oilers & Gretzky had a lot of success with the tactic. The same strategy was occasioinally used at the D-1 Level as well. You're probably too young to have first hand memories of North Dakota's James Patrick. But he was a highly skilled defenseman who went on to play for the NY Rangers for many years. The Sioux weren't shy about creating the same situation for Patrick.

The Coincidental Penalty Rule greatly reduced the frequency of 3 on 3. But it is hockey, and it can still happen.

That said, should 3 on 3 be used as a tiebreaker in college hockey? Personally I'd say no. But then again, my ideal OT rule for the regular season would be a 10 minute, sudden death period with standard rules. If still tied after 10 minutes, the game ends in a tie. IIRC, this was actually used in the Late '70s and Early '80s. Good rule, IMHO. Regrettably the rule is long gone, and almost certainly isn't coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    The extended argument on this board regarding shootouts (a few years back) was enough to last to last a lifetime. Don't remember for sure, but I think you missed the "fun" that time.

I will say a few words about 3 on 3. Back in the '70s, before the Gretzky Rule, 3 on 3 play was fairly common. It was certainly part of the sport back then. Teams with a superstar would instigate enough penalties to create the 3 on 3, then put the star on the ice with a greatly improved opportunity to score. The Oilers & Gretzky had a lot of success with the tactic. The same strategy was occasioinally used at the D-1 Level as well. You're probably too young to have first hand memories of North Dakota's James Patrick. But he was a highly skilled defenseman who went on to play for the NY Rangers for many years. The Sioux weren't shy about creating the same situation for Patrick.

The Coincidental Penalty Rule greatly reduced the frequency of 3 on 3. But it is hockey, and it can still happen.

That said, should 3 on 3 be used as a tiebreaker in college hockey? Personally I'd say no. But then again, my ideal OT rule for the regular season would be a 10 minute, sudden death period with standard rules. If still tied after 10 minutes, the game ends in a tie. IIRC, this was actually used in the Late '70s and Early '80s. Good rule, IMHO. Regrettably the rule is long gone, and almost certainly isn't coming back.
    Definitely agree on the 10 minute OT and having the game end in a tie if there is no goal. Having said that, I have to admit that I really do find myself enjoying the 3 on 3 OT period in the NHL. It is extremely exciting to watch. I am not sure what the statistics look like but it seems like quite a few games are settled before going to the shootout but I could be completely off on that.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

The NHL is a different animal, they want a result, and they want it now so everyone can go home. I suppose the same can be said of the Canada-US game, in the end it was a meaningless game so end it as quickly as possible, which a 3 on 3 will do, and send everyone on their way.

But it isn’t hockey. 3 on 3 is rare, as an alternative, how about playing with 5 skaters but only four of them have sticks?
    Ridiculous you say? That situation comes up far more often than 3 on 3 or a penalty shot, which is what a shootout is. In the Canada-US game there were at least 2 instances of players playing without sticks, there was no penalty shot and no 3 on 3.
    Really folks, we should forgive Al Franken, that is one hot babe, how could he resist grabbin' her? .... maybe if he'd have remembered he's married?

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    ... I have to admit that I really do find myself enjoying the 3 on 3 OT period in the NHL. It is extremely exciting to watch. I am not sure what the statistics look like but it seems like quite a few games are settled before going to the shootout but I could be completely off on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    The NHL is a different animal, they want a result, and they want it now so everyone can go home.
    You're both correct on the NHL version. And I believe that a check of the stats would confirm Puckdrop14's impression that the number of shootouts is reduced.

Why is the NHL different? The length of the NHL season is largely driven by economic considerations. From a competitive standpoint, it's simply too long. And at least in the West, the travel burden is too great. No team can bring its 'A' game every night. Avoiding protracted overtimes in the regular season keeps the situation from getting even worse. For that reason, a bit of gimmickry is a little more palatable at the NHL level.

With that said, I will be bitterly disappointed if the NHL ever uses one of the tiebreaker gimmicks in playoff competition.

Circling back to college hockey, the number of games is much more reasonable, much closer to the sweet spot. Now I would be against unlimited OT in the regular season. But I think our athletes would handle a single 10 minute session just fine.

In short, the gimmicks are unnecessary at the college level. We already have the world's greatest sport to work with; using the normal rules should be the preferred option.

Mostly, Americans just need to accept that a tie is a perfectly valid result. Imagine them trying to process cricket, where not only is a draw a perfectly acceptable outcome, but where a draw and a tie are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Mostly, Americans just need to accept that a tie is a perfectly valid result. Imagine them trying to process cricket, where not only is a draw a perfectly acceptable outcome, but where a draw and a tie are not the same thing.
    Gotta love those 8 hour baseball games that go 20+ innings to determine a winner. Perhaps after about 12 they should just settle it with a Home Run Derby contest?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Raises hand!!

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Gotta love those 8 hour baseball games that go 20+ innings to determine a winner. Perhaps after about 12 they should just settle it with a Home Run Derby contest?
    8 hours? A proper cricket match takes 5 days.* They only have two innings, though.

*Test cricket is the only true form of the game. ODIs are tolerable if nothing better is at hand, but Twenty20 is an abomination that must be scourged from the earth.

Thread Information