WCHA 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    No Doors Fans, eh? Well I guess the L.A. Woman album is pretty old. Early 70's release, IIRC.

Perhaps the more recent Hunger Games reference resonates a bit better?
    For those too young to appreciate the classics

https://youtu.be/WwnLt6b7YHk
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: WCHA 2017-18 Season

Originally posted by joecct View Post

I'd endoorse it. The Bucks are dangerous when Sauve is healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
        I'd endoorse it. The Bucks are dangerous when Sauve is healthy.
        I had to listen to LA Woman (love that song) and did see many references to the song. Well done and appreciate what you do with the 3 stars and your unbelievable creativity. Keep it up but next time pick a song that doesn’t stay in your head all day! Looks like the Buckeyes rode the storm.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Thanks for the link; I gave it an immediate listen & enjoyed doing so.

This "Original Version" is the one I remember. Apparently the lyrics were tweaked slightly in later versions; perhaps live versions?

I'd endoorse it.

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
          I had to listen to LA Woman (love that song) and did see many references to the song. Well done and appreciate what you do with the 3 stars and your unbelievable creativity.
          The kind words are much appreciated.

Keep it up but next time pick a song that doesn’t stay in your head all day! Looks like the Buckeyes rode the storm.
          All of us, after all, are born into this world as Riders On The Storm. You got immediate payback, BTW. That's another Doors song that's tough to shake loose from.

By coincidence, we're on a Snow Day here in Central Ohio. Not all that much snow. But the Storm was partially unexpected, and came in the overnight hours. Timing, as they say, is everything. Anyhow, with apologies to REO Speedwagon, today we're:

Riding The Storm Out!

Ridin' the storm out, waitin' for the thaw out
          On a full moon night in the rocky mountain winter
          Wine bottle's are low, watching for the snow
          Thinking about what have I've been missing in the city

And I'm not missing a thing
          Just watchin' the full moon crossing the range
          Ridin' the storm out, ridin' the storm out
          Ridin' the storm out, ridin' the storm out

Lady beside me and she's there to guide me
          She says that alone we've finally found our home
          And the wind outside is frightening
          But it's kinder than the lightning life in the city
          It's a hard enough to live but it gives back of what you give

Oh when I'm not missing a thing
          And I'm ridin' the storm out, ridin' the storm out
          Ridin' the storm out, ridin' the storm out, woah, yes I'm baby

Ridin' the storm out, just waitin' for the fall out
          On a full moon night in the rocky mountain winter
          Wine bottle's are low, just watching for the snow
          Thinking about what have I've been missing in the city

Oh, oh, oh and I'm not missing a thing baby
          Ridin' the storm out, ridin' the storm out, oh yeah
          Ridin' the storm out, I've been ridin', gonna keep on ridin'
          Ooh baby I've been ridin' the storm out, yes I will

Songwriters: GARY RICHRATH
          © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
          For non-commercial use only.
          Data From: LyricFind

Enjoy the intra-cranial replays.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, January 19th
            Ohio State 3
            Minnesota 2

Buckeye Breakthrough
            It was a tightly contested affair. In the end, most of the stats were pretty close. But it was also a game of fairly dramatic momentum swings. The Buckeyes controlled much of the first period; the Gophers much of the second. After two, the Gophers led 2-1. That lead looked a little forbidding. Overall, the Buckeyes had played well, but it seemed like it might not be enough. Fortunately in the third, OSU broke on through to the other side.

One odd byproduct of the momentum swings was that all five of the goals were scored at the North End. Rumor has it that the North End Goal Judge was complaining of a sore thumb after the match. Most likely that's an embellishment, but it is a good line. What it is true is that the Buckeye Pep Band had the best seats in the house tonight, immediately facing the North Net.

Was this just one fine night to remember, or does the win have larger significance? Impossible to say at this juncture. What we do know is that the Buckeyes have now won the regular season series with the Gophers. That's a nice accomplishment right there. But here's to hoping there are bigger things to come.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

#3 Play of the Game: GWG, Ohio State
            Buckeye Stars: Liz Schepers; Julianna Iafallo; Maddy Field
            Time: 16:04 (3rd Period)
            OK, it's a bit irregular to put the game-winner in the third slot. If you want, you can redo the rankings to suite your taste. Regardless, the GWG was generated by a neutral zone turnover. All three of the Buckeye Stars participated in the forecheck. Maddy completed the turnover near the center circle. Julianna quickly collected the loose puck and fired it ahead to Liz. Schepers took off for the net, and smartly deposited the puck in the lower left hand corner.

#2 Play of the Game: Go Ahead Goal, Minnesota
            Gopher Stars: Grace Zumwinkle; Sydney Baldwin; Taylor Wente
            Time: 8:24 (2nd Period)
            Taylor was a brilliant demon on the draw, winning 16 of 23 opportunities. Fittingly enough, Wente's face-off prowess led directly to goal. In the circle to the left of the Buckeye net, Taylor won the draw cleanly back to Sydney Baldwin on the left point. To my eye, Baldwin was the best Gopher on the ice tonight; controlling the defensive end and earning two assists on offense. This time Sydney fired for the inside of the right post. Meanwhile, Rising Star Grace Zumwinkle broke for the slot. Somehow Grace got just enough of the puck to redirect it into the OSU net. Even in the small, friendly confines of the OSU Ice Rink it was tough to tell exactly what happened. But the great ones get to the right place at the right time, and figure out a way.

#1 Play of the Game: Tying Goal, Ohio State
            Buckeye Stars: Charly Dahlquist; Jincy Dunne; Kassidy Sauve
            Time: 10:48 (3rd Period)
            How many times per game does a goalie tee up the puck for a teammate? One Dozen? More? Kassidy performed this most routine of duties. But on this occasion it earned Sauve an assist. Next came the Smooth Magic of Jincy Dunne. Facing a determined Gopher forechecker, Jincy executed a spin to the inside. The forechecker whiffed. From there, Dunne ziplined a pass to Charly. The determined Dahlquist blasted up the middle, literally splitting the Gopher defense; and ultimately willing the puck into the net. Dahlquist leather from Dunne lace. The play was jaw droppingly, OMG good; and proved to be the turning point of the game.

Up Next: That Was Fun! Let's Play Another. How About Saturday At 3:07PM?

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, January 20th
              Ohio State 5
              Minnesota 1

Much To Celebrate As The Buckeyes Continue The Climb
              Winning a championship is like climbing a tall mountain. It isn't accomplished in a single day. Few are even invited to the base camp. And those that are must reach a series of intermediate camps before even attempting to summit. Accomplishing each of those goals along the way is cause for satisfaction and celebration. For a particularly dramatic description of the climbing enterprise, I refer you to Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air.

Armed with scholarships, motivation and talent, the Buckeyes arrived at "Base Camp" last Fall. You might say that the successful 1st Half of the season was similar to reaching Camp 2. Sweeping the Gophers and solidifying 2nd Place in the standings constitutes reaching Camp 3. To get to Camp 4, you need to win a WCHA Regular Season Title, a Final Face-Off, and/or get an NCAA bid. To reach the ultimate summit? The answer is obvious.

Now, about Camp 3. It's been a while since the Buckeyes have been this far up the mountain. It's more than appropriate to take a moment to relish the accomplishment. OK, at this altitude there aren't any roses to smell. But the air is clean, crisp and good. Draw in some long, luxurious breaths. We'll be needing that oxygen as we continue upward. The higher you go up the mountain, the thinner the air gets.

This weekend OSU had a distinct advantage in the motivation department. Saturday warm-ups provided an example. The Buckeyes were loose, yet focused. Intense, yet joyous. Hungry to play the game; ready to rock and roll. In contrast, the Gophers were a little too business-like. A bit lacking in passion.

While the Buckeyes can't let up, this advantage won't persist. Wisconsin is waiting. Minnesota will be back. BC, Clarkson & Colgate all have special seasons going. To make a real run at the summit, the Buckeyes will need to be everything they were this weekend, and more.

We're in great position to make the attempt. Can't wait to try.

Honorable Mention: The Full Roster Of Ohio State Players & Coaches
              A total team effort led to a highly successful weekend. In comparison to the opposition, the Buckeyes were more productive on offense, more effective on defense, and stronger in the nets. While also true on Friday, the difference in that game was razor thin. In the rematch, the margin was substantial in all categories. Congratulations to everyone on the team for a job very well done.

#3 Star: Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State
              Another confident, aggressive, dominating performance by our keeper.

#2 Star: Tatum Skaggs, Ohio State
              Brilliant individual effort to open the scoring. Tatum single-handedly created a turnover along the right wing boards, then lasered a shot into the upper left hand corner of the net.

#1 Star: (tie)Lauren Spring, Ohio State; and Maddy Field, Ohio State
              Great day for the OSU Power Forwards. Lauren had the primary assist on both second period goals, when the Buckeyes truly broke the game open. Though not reflected on the scoresheet, forechecking pressure from Maddy actually started the second scoring play. Field did get credit for two goals and finished the day at +3. As time was winding down, Maddy's crash-the-net goal put a dramatic exclamation point on the festivities.

Up Next: The Mountaineering Adventure Continues With A Series in Duluth Against The Bulldogs.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, January 20th
                Ohio State 5
                Minnesota 1

Much To Celebrate As The Buckeyes Continue The Climb
                Winning a championship is like climbing a tall mountain. It isn't accomplished in a single day. Few are even invited to the base camp. And those that are must reach a series of intermediate camps before even attempting to summit. Accomplishing each of those goals along the way is cause for satisfaction and celebration. For a particularly dramatic description of the climbing enterprise, I refer you to Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air.

Armed with scholarships, motivation and talent, the Buckeyes arrived at "Base Camp" last Fall. You might say that the successful 1st Half of the season was similar to reaching Camp 2. Sweeping the Gophers and solidifying 2nd Place in the standings constitutes reaching Camp 3. To get to Camp 4, you need to win a WCHA Regular Season Title, a Final Face-Off, and/or get an NCAA bid. To reach the ultimate summit? The answer is obvious.

Now, about Camp 3. It's been a while since the Buckeyes have been this far up the mountain. It's more than appropriate to take a moment to relish the accomplishment. OK, at this altitude there aren't any roses to smell. But the air is clean, crisp and good. Draw in some long, luxurious breaths. We'll be needing that oxygen as we continue upward. The higher you go up the mountain, the thinner the air gets.

This weekend OSU had a distinct advantage in the motivation department. Saturday warm-ups provided an example. The Buckeyes were loose, yet focused. Intense, yet joyous. Hungry to play the game; ready to rock and roll. In contrast, the Gophers were a little too business-like. A bit lacking in passion.

While the Buckeyes can't let up, this advantage won't persist. Wisconsin is waiting. Minnesota will be back. BC, Clarkson & Colgate all have special seasons going. To make a real run at the summit, the Buckeyes will need to be everything they were this weekend, and more.

We're in great position to make the attempt. Can't wait to try.

Honorable Mention: The Full Roster Of Ohio State Players & Coaches
                A total team effort led to a highly successful weekend. In comparison to the opposition, the Buckeyes were more productive on offense, more effective on defense, and stronger in the nets. While also true on Friday, the difference in that game was razor thin. In the rematch, the margin was substantial in all categories. Congratulations to everyone on the team for a job very well done.

#3 Star: Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State
                Another confident, aggressive, dominating performance by our keeper.

#2 Star: Tatum Skaggs, Ohio State
                Brilliant individual effort to open the scoring. Tatum single-handedly created a turnover along the right wing boards, then lasered a shot into the upper left hand corner of the net.

#1 Star: (tie)Lauren Spring, Ohio State; and Maddy Field, Ohio State
                Great day for the OSU Power Forwards. Lauren had the primary assist on both second period goals, when the Buckeyes truly broke the game open. Though not reflected on the scoresheet, forechecking pressure from Maddy actually started the second scoring play. Field did get credit for two goals and finished the day at +3. As time was winding down, Maddy's crash-the-net goal put a dramatic exclamation point on the festivities.

Up Next: The Mountaineering Adventure Continues With A Series in Duluth Against The Bulldogs.
                I like the mountaineering analogy. No one will take the Buckeyes for granite anymore. Great to see Jincy D. healthy. I always thought she had a knack for making the game look easy.

Comment

I like the mountaineering analogy. No one will take the Buckeyes for granite anymore. Great to see Jincy D. healthy. I always thought she had a knack for making the game look easy.
                  I shale accept those compliments! Thanks for reading.

Haven't given much thought to the geology of the famous climbing mountains. But indeed, granite and shale are both possibilities...

Comment

Watching the St. Cloud/Wisconsin game on Fox Sports Network (FSN). Very good telecast with a knowledgeable crew doing the game. After a slow start Wisconsin scored twice to take a 2-0 lead into the second.

Also of note: one of the announcers mentioned that Mikaela Gardner was injured yesterday and will be out "indefinitely" with an upper body injury.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Whoa, St. Cloud scores to make it a one goal game with 12 minutes to go.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Final Score From Friday, February 2nd
                        Ohio State 1
                        Wisconsin 0

Total Team Takeover (TTT)
                        A Total Team Effort paid off with a win over the Consensus #1. This game would make any OSU Alum proud. But none more so than '86.

Now I'll Grant that there's a bit of trademark infringement here. B/C on this board, TTT usually refers to Tony The Tiger. Here's to hoping that the real TTT will tolerate this one-time liberty. Perhaps he'll even help us translate what the result in means in Pairwise terms. Probably in partnership with robertearle, though the latter analyst was no doubt disappointed with the final score.

Confidential to Puckdrop14: This was one of the fun ones.

Lots to be proud of from a Buckeye perspective. But rarely has there been a game more ill-suited to the selection of three individual stars. Hope you'll enjoy an unconventional approach.

Honorable Mention: Both Goalies & Both Defenses
                        26 Saves apiece for Kassidy Sauve and Kristen Campbell. Both would be the first to say they had defensive help from Teammates cleaning up rebounds. When you play against top offenses, rebounds occur. Meaning more than normal. At the end of the day, both goalies had turned in fine performances. But the ultimate credit goes to excellent Team Defense -- for both clubs.

#3 Star: Wisconsin Team, 1st Period
                        Impressive Team quickness. Crisp, quick release passing. A well structured forecheck, particularly along the walls. All these Badger attributes were on display during the first period. Outshot 12-2, the Buckeyes were fortunate to escape the first period still tied at zero.

#2 Star: Ohio State Team, 3rd Period
                        Obviously the most even of the periods. The Badgers were more productive on the shot chart, primarily in the last ten minutes as the Buckeyes focused on protecting the slim lead. But many of those shots came from medium range or longer. Quality chances weren't all that plentiful in the 3rd. And every Buckeye on the ice contributed to that. Yes, there was some chaos as time wound down. A couple of odd bounces added a little drama. But for better (Buckeyes) or worse (Badgers) those bounces didn't go directly to anyone. The precious 1 goal lead stood up.

#1 Star: Ohio State Team, 2nd Period
                        The Total Team Takeover occurred in the 2nd Period. Had this period been described to me prior to the start of the game, I never would have believed it. Playing flat-out yet utterly focused, the Buckeyes dominated the whole 200 feet. The 21-2 shot disparity was no fluke. Tenacious back-checking prevented shots; tenacious forechecking created shot opportunities. Over and over again. This kind of dominance isn't supposed to happen against anybody, much less the #1 Team in the nation.

The lone goal seemed to be something of a designed play. In the opening seconds of the period, Dani Sadek launched a stretch pass from her own zone to the Badger blue line. Though bothered by the Badger 'D,' Tatum Skaggs was able to tip the puck. Somehow the puck and Emma Maltais both squeezed through the Wisconsin defenders. Now on a breakaway, Emma calmly approached the Badger net, and smartly deposited the puck just inside the post.

Best period of the season. So far.

Up Next: Fasten Your Seatbelts; We Go Again Saturday Afternoon At 3:07PM

Comment

"This game would make any OSU Alum proud. But none more so than '86."

Thank you for the shoutout Pgb! Three of the seniors and RS-junior Kassidy Sauve have been through three coaches in four seasons. Charly Dahlquist had the rug pulled out from under her after her program was dropped. I am definitely proud of these young ladies and with the tough times they have been through, I cannot think of a group more richly deserving of this type of success than our Ohio State Women. Cannot wait to see the three stars from today's/yesterday's game. I am thinking that top line of Emma-Charly-Tatum, which has been on fire this season, is going to appear in the three stars somewhere!

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, February 3rd
                            Ohio State 3
                            Wisconsin 1

Buckeyes Sweep The Badgers? Believe It!

The empty-netter with three seconds to go...the group hug after the final horn...the singing of Carmen Ohio...

I looked down at the joyous scene before me and saw the faces of the players. I realized these women aren't Monkeeying around; this team is for real. I'm a believer. I couldn't leave this if I tried.

These wins should put the Buckeyes in great shape for an NCAA bid. We're livin' large in the hockey world. Just give us the bid. We'll take the midnight plane to an-y-where. We might win. We might lose. But this weekend, the Badgers sang the blues.

Did a quick count. Our home ice record this season is 14-1-2. Both ties matured into shootout wins. The resume includes home sweeps over UMD, Minnesota and now Wisconsin. The winning just goes on and on and on and on.

Yes, Saturday's celebration is something we should never forget. Hold on to that feeling. And don't stop believing -- as we continue on the wonderful Journey of 2017-18.

Honorable Mention: Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State
                            Like Friday's game, the rematch featured amazing team effort by both sides. But for this edition of the 3 Stars, we'll try to return the focus to difference-makers. With 34 Saves on 35 Badger shots, Kassidy certainly qualifies.

#3 Star: (tie) Lauren Williams, Wisconsin; and Mekenzie Steffen, Wisconsin
                            In a series like this, the margin between difference-makers and also-rans can be razor thin. But there's no denying the accomplishment of UW's Second D Pair. Both assisted on the lone Badger goal. Despite the 3-1 UW loss, Lauren was +1 for the game. Translation: No goals against. Mekenzie wasn't far behind, finishing even for the day. The only blemish on her transcript was the empty net goal. Both 'D' were strong, steady and unyielding throughout the contest.

#2 Star: (tie) Jincy Dunne, Ohio State and Dani Sadek, Ohio State
                            Very complete game by the Buckeye Starting D. 4 blocked shots apiece. +/- Totals? +3 for Jincy; +2 for Dani. Perhaps most importantly of all, Jincy's slick pass to a wide open Emma Maltais resulted in the game-tying goal -- and the turning point in Saturday's game.

#1 Star: (tie) Emma Maltais, Ohio State; Charly Dahlquist, Ohio State; and Tatum Skaggs, Ohio State
                            Since being reunited, the first line has been one perfect thing; and it feels so good. 1 goal apiece, to account for all the scoring. Emma tied it; Charly won it; and Tatum put the game away with a calm, celebratory march to the empty net. She was practically at the crease before gently lobbing the puck into the middle of the netting. These women have the scoring touch. Oh, and Tatum also had 5, count 'em 5, blocked shots. Add courageous to the list. Highly determined as well. And those attributes apply to the whole line, individually and collectively.

Thanks to ALL the Buckeye players & coaches for an awesome, memorable weekend.

Up Next: Road Trip To Mankato
                            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-04-2018, 11:37 PM.

Comment

OK, it's stopped snowing in Columbus. The Stars from Saturday's OSU/UW game are now plainly visible in the post below!

(Or above, as the case may be. The previous post...)
                              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-05-2018, 06:49 AM.

Comment

OK, it's stopped snowing in Columbus. The Stars from Saturday's OSU/UW game are now plainly visible in the post below!

(Or above, as the case may be. The previous post...)
                                I like your insertion of lyrics into the 3 Stars! When it comes to our Bucks, I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X