This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    Argos win the Grey Cup, Toronto FC wins MLS Cup.
    I'm sensing a trend here.

Oh, and Leafs lead the Pens 3-0.
    It's the Raptors' year?
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: NHL 2017.1: We turn over a new Leaf and still find a Penguin

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      Argos win the Grey Cup, Toronto FC wins MLS Cup.
      I'm sensing a trend here.

Oh, and Leafs lead the Pens 3-0.
      Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      It's the Raptors' year?

Comment

House cleaning in Ottawa???

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017...ade-block.html
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Get it done, Kenny.

Comment

Off to Detroit bright and early to catch a couple games (FLA, BOS). Going to be first time at the pizza box, looking forward to checking it out.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              Off to Detroit bright and early to catch a couple games (FLA, BOS). Going to be first time at the pizza box, looking forward to checking it out.
              Haven't been yet. Reviews I've heard from other fans are mixed.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Haven't been yet. Reviews I've heard from other fans are mixed.
                I was only on the 100 level, but it's quite nice. A whole lot more to choose from, concourses don't get corralled with cattle like the Joe always did, comfortable seats. Lower level is decently steep, uppers more so. Gives great sight lines though, while staying relatively close to the ice. Scoreboard is massive.

That said, I'll always miss the Joe. You can't replace the charm and character of an old rink.

Seeing how I've been to Tampa's Amalie arena a lot, they share a lot of similarities. Both great rinks in their own way. Probably 2 of the top 5-10 in the league.

That and obviously with new rink comes decently pricier tickets. Again, comparing to Tampa, where as the Joe was on par or slightly cheaper than Amalie, LCA is slightly more expensive for comparable seats.

Staying at the Crown Plaza riverfront, took the Q line light rail thingy to/from. Super cheap ($1.50 for 3 hours/$3 day pass unlimited (only good for day of use, not 24 hours from purchase)), relatively efficient despite the snow (got slowed down right near the rink, guessing traffic back up), but an easy way to get to/from downtown to the rink.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  I was only on the 100 level, but it's quite nice. ...

Staying at the Crown Plaza riverfront, took the Q line light rail thingy to/from. ...
                  Thanks! That answers any questions I was going to have. The wife and I found it super easy to get around via people mover when we stayed at either the Crown or Courtyard to go to games at JLA. And Greektown was right off the people mover too. I was wondering how much of a PITA it was going to be to stay down there and get to games at the Pizza Box.

Not sure if we'll make it to a game this year, we lucked into getting to three games last season (including the finale).
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    Thanks! That answers any questions I was going to have. The wife and I found it super easy to get around via people mover when we stayed at either the Crown or Courtyard to go to games at JLA. And Greektown was right off the people mover too. I was wondering how much of a PITA it was going to be to stay down there and get to games at the Pizza Box.

Not sure if we'll make it to a game this year, we lucked into getting to three games last season (including the finale).
                    Ya. Q Line runs up/down Woodward, starting from Congress and heading N. Only 4 stops to LCA. Seemed really convenient.

Conversely, if you wanted to eat/drink pregame, I believe Cobo Joe's and Tommy's have shuttle service as well.

In neat news, just secured tickets to the all star weekend in Tampa.

Comment

Leafs-Wings in what looks like a half empty Pizza Box. Sad, really really sad
                      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Melnyk with some... interesting... comments regarding the Sens future today.

Comment

Looks a wee bit chilly in Lansdowne Park. Old time hockey!

I'd be curious how the temp compares to the Alumni game at Comerica when Det/Tor played. THAT was a frigid, bone chilling day.

Comment

Not sure about the Comerica Alumni Game / Big House Winter Classic but...
                            https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Heritage_Classic
                            "Temperatures of close to −18 °C, −30 °C (−22 °F) with wind chill"
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Not sure about the Comerica Alumni Game / Big House Winter Classic but...
                              https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Heritage_Classic
                              "Temperatures of close to −18 °C, −30 °C (−22 °F) with wind chill"
                              I think they had the graphic that said the WC at the big house was -11C, but the alumni game seemed worse than that.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                                I think they had the graphic that said the WC at the big house was -11C, but the alumni game seemed worse than that.
                                -13C (8F) in the third period last night. Toronto Sun reports it was the coldest outdoor game since temps hit -30C in the 2003 Heritage Classic in Edmonton --- and that was in the afternoon!
                                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
                                X