This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NHL 2017.1: We turn over a new Leaf and still find a Penguin

+\- is a worthless stat but I'm not arguing he's a bad player he's just not nearly as elite at his position (albeit a more important one).

But yeah I forgot how bad the Russell contract extension was.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
      +\- is a worthless stat
      Is there a way to make it less useless? Maybe normalizing it against overall team +/-?

It seems like it should be able to tell us things, but obvs the simple metric just tells me whether the team sucks.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
        +\- is a worthless stat but I'm not arguing he's a bad player he's just not nearly as elite at his position (albeit a more important one).

But yeah I forgot how bad the Russell contract extension was.
        I knew you were going to say it is a worthless stat I usually agree, but when a team is that bad and a dman is +15 it says something. The Oilers don't need him to be elite, just need a stay at home dman when the rest of the team is rushing the puck.

Nice chatting NHL with you, enjoy the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Is there a way to make it less useless? Maybe normalizing it against overall team +/-?

It seems like it should be able to tell us things, but obvs the simple metric just tells me whether the team sucks.
          Normalizing versus team +/- would be best. I mean if a team is -22 but a guy is +15 that seems to be an indication of something.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Basically you're better off using shot attempt +\- due to the sample size and (as a result) predictive nature. You're also better off normalizing that stat to account for zone starts/deployment. Also now they're using expected goals models which contain even more data than shot based metrics.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Normalizing versus team +/- would be best. I mean if a team is -22 but a guy is +15 that seems to be an indication of something.
            Not really because the sample size is far too small to be repeatable from year to year (which is basically how you know something is luck vs an actual skill) and like I said you need to account for zone starts. Like Larsson might've been +15 that year (guessing Schneider had a good year) and it wasn't that long ago that PK Subban (easily a top 10 Dman) was a minus on the year probably due to Price getting hurt and the backup being terrible.
            Last edited by trixR4kids; 09-30-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Dave Strader passed away. That really sucks, man.

Comment

Jagr reportedly agrees to 1 year deal with Calgary.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  Jagr reportedly agrees to 1 year deal with Calgary.
                  Thank god for socialized medicine.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So, remember when Malcolm Subban was a trendy pick for the Vegas Golden Nights for the expansion draft? And then they didn't?

No worries, they snatched him on waivers today.

Comment

• Re: NHL 2017.1: We turn over a new Leaf and still find a Penguin

Tom Wilson (WSH) gets a 4 game vacation courtesy of George Parros.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

@ByMHarrington: Repeating specifics: Eichel signed 8 years/$80M. Kicks in for 2018-19. Runs through 2025-26 -- age 29. http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/03/re...hel-extension/
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Assuming he stays healthy, that gives him plenty of gas left in the tank to leave Buffalo as an UFA in 8 years when they're still Cup-less.

Comment

• Hockey season begins tonight!
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Bryan Bickell signs a one day and retires with the Blackhawks.

Never forget his goal against Boston in the Final and a fine career with the Hawks.

Best wishes.

Comment

The Wild's Salary Cap situation sucks.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X