X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
    Four games?!? Can that few Ohioans read?
    https://www.si.com/more-sports/2018/...ensive-jerseys
    That is the section of Ohio that a lot of Kentuckians moved to, right?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      That is the section of Ohio that a lot of Kentuckians moved to, right?
      They don't say "Cincinnati is the capital of Kentucky..."* for nothing.

* "And Philadelphia is the capital of New Jersey."
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm late to the conversation, but a few things:

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I'm pretty sure everybody know even runs EW, odd NS, and x95s are beltways.

But I didn't actually know there were other conventions.
        I-95 does have a few beltway offshoots, but not all x95 are beltway (ex. 795). The last digits of an offshoot or beltway match the interstate it shoots off from.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

ETA: Also, if the offshoot highway is a loop, it begins with an even number; if it's just a branch, it's an odd number. For Minneapolis, 494/694 are the bypass loop for 94. 394 is an E/W branch of 94 that only connects at one point to the main interstate.
        Is this true? I've never noticed. Not sure how 696 North of Detroit fits this.

Is this always the convention? That would help a little.

I've always wanted beltways to be labeled C and A ("Clockwise" and "Anti-clockwise") instead of directions. I can never remember whether I'm going clockwise when I'm on the f-cking Beltway.
        I grew up close enough to Baltimore that I never had an issue differentiating inner loop and outer loop. Inner loop is clockwise, Americans drive on the right.
        My problem was the first time I drove myself and a friend to the O's game. I had no problem getting there, but leaving I went the wrong way on I-95. I figured, 'Westminster is North, I want to go North'. Nope. I-95 South gets me to the beltway far more quickly on the West side of Baltimore, where I needed to be. We made it home. I knew I'd get to the beltway eventually from I-95 North...I just didn't realize how far out of the way I was going.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G
        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
        2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          I'm late to the conversation, but a few things:

I-95 does have a few beltway offshoots, but not all x95 are beltway (ex. 795). The last digits of an offshoot or beltway match the interstate it shoots off from.

Is this true? I've never noticed. Not sure how 696 North of Detroit fits this.
          Looking at the map, I think 694 gets the six rather an odd digit because it ends by connecting with 94 rather than a state or non-interstate federal highway.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

696 is labeled correctly. It doesn't necessarily have to connect to 96 on both sides. It just has to on one end and bypass the city 96 goes through. May have been designated 694 if that wasn't already taken. (Construction for 696 began in 1961, 694 in 1956)
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

[odd#]##: Spur into a populated area. No limitation on cardinal directions.
              [even#]##: Loop around or through a populated area. No limitation on cardinal directions.

That being said, not sure how 476 in PA stays as 476 between Germantown and Scranton, unless it's only a certain section that has to qualify (it does loop through northern parts of Philadelphia). I know 481 and 690 in NYS continue beyond the confines of the loop, albeit as state routes.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                I'm pretty sure most people don't realize the even/odd mix. Thirty years ago? Likely, yes. Today, with younger generations, they're not driving as much or starting as early, so they don't have the same love of the process as earlier generations. Thus they don't learn it. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a conversation where one of the guys is giving this grand revelation to a woman or younger person who've been driving at least ten years. It's remarkable, IMO.

ETA: Also, if the offshoot highway is a loop, it begins with an even number; if it's just a branch, it's an odd number. For Minneapolis, 494/694 are the bypass loop for 94. 394 is an E/W branch of 94 that only connects at one point to the main interstate.
                Just don't tell the people around Flint, where I-69 is E/W.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  The I-35E / I-35W thing in MSP never made sense until I looked at a map.
                  They do the same thing in DFW. In fact, a lot more other interstates had the same designation, but were later changed so one remained the regular 2-digit, while the other became a 3-digit. Such as I-190 in Buffalo, which used to be I-90N.

Comment

Is this always the convention? That would help a little.

I've always wanted beltways to be labeled C and A ("Clockwise" and "Anti-clockwise") instead of directions. I can never remember whether I'm going clockwise when I'm on the f-cking Beltway.
                    In Charlotte, they designate that beltway (I think it's 485) as "Inner" and "Outer".

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      They do the same thing in DFW. In fact, a lot more other interstates had the same designation, but were later changed so one remained the regular 2-digit, while the other became a 3-digit. Such as I-190 in Buffalo, which used to be I-90N.
                      If you did that in DFW, no biggie: I-35 would run through Dallas and I-835 would break off and reconnect ... and just happen to run through Ft. Worth. --> Dallas >> Ft. Worth

But heaven help us in MSP: Would I-35 run through Minneapolis or St. Paul, and which would be the "lesser bypass" with I-235 running through it?
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                        If you did that in DFW, no biggie: I-35 would run through Dallas and I-835 would break off and reconnect ... and just happen to run through Ft. Worth. --> Dallas >> Ft. Worth

But heaven help us in MSP: Would I-35 run through Minneapolis or St. Paul, and which would be the "lesser bypass" with I-235 running through it?
                        I'd give 235 to the one with the bridge that fell apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          I'd give 235 to the one with the bridge that fell apart.
                          Nah. It doesn't slow down to 45 MPH.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            Nah. It doesn't slow down to 45 MPH.
                            I-81 through Syracuse NY goes to 45; that's no reason to state one over the other.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Just don't tell the people around Flint, where I-69 is E/W.
                              It's horizontal.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                It's horizontal.
                                We ain't bringing US 11 into this.

Comment

Working...
                                X