X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    The insider trading is just the icing on the cake.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/cred...consumers.html
    The biggest info sec and financial scandal of the 2010s is on deck. Continue.

Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

The biggest info sec and financial scandal of the 2010s is on deck. Continue.
    Fear quotient is up as well. The guy living off $50K stashed under his mattress suddenly looks like he knows what he's doing. People will see that. Less buying, fewer loans taken out...

All it takes is one domino. Playing dicky-dick with the creditworthiness of half the nation is a pretty nice-sized domino.

Econ 101: it's not what you're worth, it's what people THINK you're worth. If that trust vanishes from either end...welcome to 1929.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
      Fear quotient is up as well. The guy living off $50K stashed under his mattress suddenly looks like he knows what he's doing. People will see that. Less buying, fewer loans taken out...

All it takes is one domino. Playing dicky-dick with the creditworthiness of half the nation is a pretty nice-sized domino.

Econ 101: it's not what you're worth, it's what people THINK you're worth. If that trust vanishes from either end...welcome to 1929.
      What they think you're worth, and what they think you can pay. I'm not worth much, but when I got my car loan, they took the odds and knowledge of my (minute) credit history and figured I could pay the monthly bill. I haven't made a min payment yet, always has been a few dollars more. They are rather pleased with that.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I haven't made a min payment yet, always has been a few dollars more. They are rather pleased with that.
        No they're not, because you're costing them interest. They LOVE minimum payments.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          No they're not, because you're costing them interest. They LOVE minimum payments.
          Allow me to rephrase: I'm not missing payments. That is what they are pleased about. The bank actually asked if I *ever* took out a loan. I have. Once. 15 years ago. So, no history of loans. Just minimal credit card crap.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

You guys need to take off your tinfoil hats. They didn't hack and take control of Equifax or the credit market. At worst the credit history of Americans was stolen. That's hardly worth worrying about.

The Great Recession was because trillions of dollars were poorly invested and a once-in-a-lifetime* bubble burst.

*ETA: Unless Republicans have their way.
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 09-07-2017, 11:21 PM.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              You guys need to take off your tinfoil hats. They didn't hack and take control of Equifax or the credit market. At worst the credit history of Americans was stolen. That's hardly worth worrying about.

The Great Recession was because trillions of dollars were poorly invested and a once-in-a-lifetime bubble burst.
              It's not that it was stolen, it's what they can do with it. It could be nothing. It could be everything.

Comment

Virtually nothing.

I don't think you guys understand the magnitude of what happened in the Great Recession.

The average person doesn't know their credit score from their phone number.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Virtually nothing.

I don't think you guys understand the magnitude of what happened in the Great Recession.

The average person doesn't know their credit score from their phone number.
                  Yeah, I do. I had the privilege of knowing 3 of my great-grandparents (2 of whom came off the boat from Oslo just before that time). Told me many a story. Sadly, some of their practices ended their lives a little early (like eating gristle because it was edible, and they did that until the day they died).

Comment

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with what I wrote.

I'll give 5:1 that nothing even remotely close to what you loonballs are predicting happens.

Credit cards aren't going to have much impact since the consumer isn't going to pay for fraudulent charges. On top of that, if the breach was six months ago, most of the cards will have already been replaced or will be shortly. Credit card companies are getting very good at stopping fraud.

Credit history? Big deal. I'll tell you mine. Social security number and address? I would strongly prefer you didn't have it, but the smart consumer checks their credit report once a year. Most consumers who have credit cards now get their credit report monthly for free.

In order for what happened in 2008 to happen again from this breach, tens of millions of mortgages would need to be fraudulently taken out and allowed to go into default. Not going to happen.
                    Code:

Comment

We're not saying it's GONNA happen. The potential is there. Big time. BIG time. You just got 'splained to by people much smarter than I am in this sort of thing. This is a HUGE hack. Some people, because as you say they don't pay attention, will be affected. It's the end number of people that will determine the effect.

Comment

I'm not the one predicting economic havoc.

This is still a massive info sec scandal emanating from a company whose business is confidential data and PII, not to mention the apparent insider trading.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          We're not saying it's GONNA happen. The potential is there. Big time. BIG time. You just got 'splained to by people much smarter than I am in this sort of thing. This is a HUGE hack. Some people, because as you say they don't pay attention, will be affected. It's the end number of people that will determine the effect.
                          No it's not. No I didn't. No, at worst it's going to be a headache for a handful of people.

I'm not the one predicting economic havoc.

This is still a massive info sec scandal emanating from a company whose business is confidential data and PII, not to mention the apparent insider trading.
                          That's probably good, because we'll forget about this by next year. Just like target, Home Depot, chipotle, Blue Cross, and every other major breach.

It is a big security breach and I'm sure some people will set their hair on fire. The biggest thing to come of this will be the insider trading scandal.
                          Code:

Comment

No it's not. No I didn't. No, at worst it's going to be a headache for a handful of people.

That's probably good, because we'll forget about this by next year. Just like target, Home Depot, chipotle, Blue Cross, and every other major breach.

It is a big security breach and I'm sure some people will set their hair on fire. The biggest thing to come of this will be the insider trading scandal.
                            You realize this is one of three (IIRC) companies to manage ALL credit data? This isn't some department store.

Comment

From the article on CNN:

Equifax is one of three nationwide credit-reporting companies that track and rates the financial history of U.S. consumers. The companies are supplied with data about loans, loan payments and credit cards, as well as information on everything from child support payments, credit limits, missed rent and utilities payments, addresses and employer history, which all factor into credit scores.

Comment

Working...
                              X