This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Hopefully if there's a video there's a charge.

I'm not wild about taking action against somebody solely on an accusation. Yes, a private entity has that right, but that's not the same as a should.
    And in instances where it's just "an accusation" solely because trials are backed up, but the private entity is certain he's guilty days agree it happened?

Or where the private party knows but the criminal system screws up and let's a guilty man go free?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Hopefully if there's a video there's a charge.

I'm not wild about taking action against somebody solely on an accusation. Yes, a private entity has that right, but that's not the same as a should.
      You might sing a different tune if it's your team/company taking the heat...

And again no one is saying the player/employee should be kicked out/fired he has a right to defend himself and if he is innocent in court he can sue for his missed wages and defamation.

And again the court conviction standard is lame. By that standard Michigan State did nothing wrong nor did the players and coaches at Baylor. No college athlete at a major school would ever be punished because evidence is scant and we all know every chick wants to gang bang the football team
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        And in instances where it's just "an accusation" solely because trials are backed up, but the private entity is certain he's guilty days agree it happened?

Or where the private party knows but the criminal system screws up and let's a guilty man go free?
        No conviction so no punishment.

Hey the 1919 Sox were truly screwed!!!
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

Two black men were arrested at Starbucks for... not ordering anything yet?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/foot...133435563.html
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Mother lets her 2 year old smoke weed and meth.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...say/517107002/
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              No conviction so no punishment.
              I don't think anyone is saying that. There is nothing stopping the company/school/league from doing their own investigation and arriving at their own conclusion before the court.

I would argue they have a responsibility to.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                I don't think anyone is saying that. There is nothing stopping the company/school/league from doing their own investigation and arriving at their own conclusion before the court.

I would argue they have a responsibility to.
                Brent literally talked about there being no conviction so I disagree. He definitely is saying no conviction no punishment.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Brent literally talked about there being no conviction so I disagree. He definitely is saying no conviction no punishment.
                  Missed that part.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

In New Hampshire, coaches conspired to "bean" the lone girl player and make her quit, report alleges.

https://deadspin.com/report-new-hamp...-to-1825275589

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      I did say that, I'll own up. As Kepler said, the teams/businesses/etc have the right to dole out their own punishment (for lack of a better word). It just doesn't mean they *should*. They *can*, though.

Edit: think of it as a criminal case vs a civil case. That sort of thing.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        I did say that, I'll own up. As Kepler said, the teams/businesses/etc have the right to dole out their own punishment (for lack of a better word). It just doesn't mean they *should*. They *can*, though.

I'm not thinking of it as any case...teams and businesses aren't courts of law.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          I'm not thinking of it as any case...teams and businesses aren't courts of law.
                          That's where my civil case POV kicks in. You can be "not guilty" but still pay a price. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is a consequence of giving your employer a black eye.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

They can, and they should. What if that hypothetical video was obtained improperly and is therefore inadmissible in court and the accused is therefore found Not Guilty. Is the team supposed to ignore the fact that their player committed a crime just because the state was not able to prove it beyond reasonable doubt within the court's rules of evidence?
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              I don't necessarily agree with it.
                              Why? civil cases are "preponderance of the evidence." Criminal is "beyond all reasonable doubt."

There's a huge gap between 50.01% and 95%.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

Trials being backed up doesn't stop the cops from arresting you and charging you, and you getting arraigned* or at least an arraignment scheduled (* note: I spent less than 10 weeks in law school and never took Criminal Procedure, so I know nothing -- but I thought habeus corpus means the accused has to be either charged expeditiously or released).

I already said the private company has the right to apply the "no bad publicity" standard. An entertainment entity like pro sports will be tempted to do so (unless you're a star). And I fully appreciate both that courts are unfair and societal pressures bend HARD against women accusers. But presumption of innocence is precious.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X