Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 720 of 1001

Thread: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

  1. #701
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,574

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Hopefully if there's a video there's a charge.

    I'm not wild about taking action against somebody solely on an accusation. Yes, a private entity has that right, but that's not the same as a should.
    This.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #702
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,446

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Doesn't matter. In the court of public opinion, you're guilty without trial. And if you somehow prove your innocence, you got away with it.
    Yeah, us guys are just so oppressed.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  3. #703
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,277

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Yeah, us guys are just so oppressed.
    World's smallest violin for white males.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  4. #704
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,574

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    World's smallest violin for white males.
    No. Not categorizing it. Simple statement of "innocent until proven guilty." This goes for anyone.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  5. #705
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,446

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Sorry, but your employer is within their right to suspend you from operations if you've, "called the good name of the company into question, suspicion, or ridicule", innocent or guilty. I remember this going all the way back to Catholic school, which had the same policy for students.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  6. #706
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Hopefully if there's a video there's a charge.

    I'm not wild about taking action against somebody solely on an accusation. Yes, a private entity has that right, but that's not the same as a should.
    And in instances where it's just "an accusation" solely because trials are backed up, but the private entity is certain he's guilty days agree it happened?

    Or where the private party knows but the criminal system screws up and let's a guilty man go free?

  7. #707
    (((NPC)))
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Hopefully if there's a video there's a charge.

    I'm not wild about taking action against somebody solely on an accusation. Yes, a private entity has that right, but that's not the same as a should.
    You might sing a different tune if it's your team/company taking the heat...

    And again no one is saying the player/employee should be kicked out/fired he has a right to defend himself and if he is innocent in court he can sue for his missed wages and defamation.

    And again the court conviction standard is lame. By that standard Michigan State did nothing wrong nor did the players and coaches at Baylor. No college athlete at a major school would ever be punished because evidence is scant and we all know every chick wants to gang bang the football team

  8. #708
    (((NPC)))
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,836
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    And in instances where it's just "an accusation" solely because trials are backed up, but the private entity is certain he's guilty days agree it happened?

    Or where the private party knows but the criminal system screws up and let's a guilty man go free?
    No conviction so no punishment.

    Hey the 1919 Sox were truly screwed!!!

  9. #709
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,277

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Two black men were arrested at Starbucks for... not ordering anything yet?

    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/foot...133435563.html
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  10. #710
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,277

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Mother lets her 2 year old smoke weed and meth.

    https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...say/517107002/
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  11. #711
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    30,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    No conviction so no punishment.
    I don't think anyone is saying that. There is nothing stopping the company/school/league from doing their own investigation and arriving at their own conclusion before the court.

    I would argue they have a responsibility to.

  12. #712
    (((NPC)))
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,836
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that. There is nothing stopping the company/school/league from doing their own investigation and arriving at their own conclusion before the court.

    I would argue they have a responsibility to.
    Brent literally talked about there being no conviction so I disagree. He definitely is saying no conviction no punishment.

  13. #713
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    30,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Brent literally talked about there being no conviction so I disagree. He definitely is saying no conviction no punishment.
    Missed that part.

  14. #714
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,277

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    In New Hampshire, coaches conspired to "bean" the lone girl player and make her quit, report alleges.

    https://deadspin.com/report-new-hamp...-to-1825275589
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  15. #715
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,574

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Brent literally talked about there being no conviction so I disagree. He definitely is saying no conviction no punishment.
    I did say that, I'll own up. As Kepler said, the teams/businesses/etc have the right to dole out their own punishment (for lack of a better word). It just doesn't mean they *should*. They *can*, though.

    Edit: think of it as a criminal case vs a civil case. That sort of thing.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  16. #716
    (((NPC)))
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I did say that, I'll own up. As Kepler said, the teams/businesses/etc have the right to dole out their own punishment (for lack of a better word). It just doesn't mean they *should*. They *can*, though.

    Edit: think of it as a criminal case vs a civil case. That sort of thing.
    I'm not thinking of it as any case...teams and businesses aren't courts of law.

  17. #717
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,574

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I'm not thinking of it as any case...teams and businesses aren't courts of law.
    That's where my civil case POV kicks in. You can be "not guilty" but still pay a price. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is a consequence of giving your employer a black eye.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #718
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    8,053

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I did say that, I'll own up. As Kepler said, the teams/businesses/etc have the right to dole out their own punishment (for lack of a better word). It just doesn't mean they *should*. They *can*, though.

    Edit: think of it as a criminal case vs a civil case. That sort of thing.
    They can, and they should. What if that hypothetical video was obtained improperly and is therefore inadmissible in court and the accused is therefore found Not Guilty. Is the team supposed to ignore the fact that their player committed a crime just because the state was not able to prove it beyond reasonable doubt within the court's rules of evidence?
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

  19. #719
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,081

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with it.
    Why? civil cases are "preponderance of the evidence." Criminal is "beyond all reasonable doubt."

    There's a huge gap between 50.01% and 95%.

  20. #720

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,367

    Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    And in instances where it's just "an accusation" solely because trials are backed up, but the private entity is certain he's guilty days agree it happened?

    Or where the private party knows but the criminal system screws up and let's a guilty man go free?
    Trials being backed up doesn't stop the cops from arresting you and charging you, and you getting arraigned* or at least an arraignment scheduled (* note: I spent less than 10 weeks in law school and never took Criminal Procedure, so I know nothing -- but I thought habeus corpus means the accused has to be either charged expeditiously or released).

    I already said the private company has the right to apply the "no bad publicity" standard. An entertainment entity like pro sports will be tempted to do so (unless you're a star). And I fully appreciate both that courts are unfair and societal pressures bend HARD against women accusers. But presumption of innocence is precious.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •