X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 14: You People Make Me Sick

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    When someone other than the long-time primary care giver makes a lot of noise about putting someone into memory care that noise-maker is normally wrong.
    Is "Memory Care" specifically for Alzheimer's? I have not heard that term before.

My Mom is 92, 100% still all there mentally, but of course very frail. She still lives in the original house, which is a death trap, because my sister is Borderline (as in, clinically) and they co-enable and prevent me from solving either problem. The obvious solution is Mom needs to go to a 24/7 care facility which starts out as Independent and transitions to Assisted and then Critical as she needs it. But the presence of the sister is preventing me from even addressing short term steps like an Elder Care lawyer, because she muddies the waters whenever she detects any hint of me selling the house to fund Mom's living plan.

Even more frustratingly, the sister is married (ostensibly) and has a house with her husband in MA. She just refuses to live there because they aren't the best of friends. Oh, and she hasn't worked in 14 years, and is now convinced she can't.

Anybody know a guy in Jersey?
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-22-2018, 09:21 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Is "Memory Care" specifically for Alzheimer's? I have not heard that term before.
      All forms of dementia, not just Alzheimer's. I had to put my mother into such a unit back in 2010, but had full backing from my brothers.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        All forms of dementia, not just Alzheimer's. I had to put my mother into such a unit back in 2010, but had full backing from my brothers.
        That must have been awful, you have my sympathy. We are very fortunate that my Mom is still all there. She's just obstinate as hell, but hey, good on her, she's earned it.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Most facilities in this region are tiered like you say: Independent (meals and some ala carte support services), Assisted (assisting with some tasks of daily living like dressing or hygiene), Memory Care.

Memory Care is for folks medically deemed to need 24 hour supervision and monitoring due to mild cognitive impairment or worse. It will take in folks with dementia (Lewy body, Alzheimer's type, Parkinson's, et al) or folks who may have other problems where they need that constant monitoring.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            Most facilities in this region are tiered like you say: Independent (meals and some ala carte support services), Assisted (assisting with some tasks of daily living like dressing or hygiene), Memory Care.

Memory Care is for folks medically deemed to need 24 hour supervision and monitoring due to mild cognitive impairment or worse. It will take in folks with dementia (Lewy body, Alzheimer's type, Parkinson's, et al) or folks who may have other problems where they need that constant monitoring.
            Thank you.

When I looked at places back around 2012 when my Dad died I looked for places that had an available path to that if it was needed. At the time, and granted out in fairly rural MD, that sort of intensive treatment was still restricted to individual wards -- basically they had a lot more protections and also curtailment of what the resident was permitted to do because of safety -- for example, no kitchen in the unit, etc.

Independent Living under those circumstances was basically living in a golf club retirement community surroundings -- residents could still have a car, they had all their own appliances etc, and the units were spread out like a typical HOA townhouse development -- it was nicer than my house. Assisted Living moved the residents into a main facility, no cars, and concentrated on group activities -- bridge clubs, movie nights, themed cafeteria days where local restaurants catered, chaperoned bus trips to church or the mall, etc. Then Critical Care was where residents were segregated to protect them from themselves, on the spot 24/7 medical and nursing care.
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-22-2018, 09:28 AM.
            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Same year for my mom. One sibling (local) complete agreement; other sibling (half a country away), well, I learned the definition of "seagull" from someone (from Alzheimer's ***'n) to describe her.

seagull: annoying entity that flies in, squawks loudly and flaps about, craps on everything you've done, then flies out.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

When I looked at placed back around 2012 when my Dad died I looked for places that had an available path to that if it was needed. At the time, and granted out in fairly rural MD, that sort of intensive treatment was still restricted to individual wards -- basically they had a lot more protections and also curtailment of what the resident was permitted to do because of safety -- for example, no kitchen in the unit, etc.
                Yes, you want a place with a "path" as you say. The staff there gets to know the person. They can be objective and help you to see when transitions need to happen.

The big service providers around here are Touchmark and Edgewood. The new kid is Maple View and is more single-tier (memory).

PS - One more thing. Some places here also offer semi-skilled (can do certain procedures but not all) or skilled nursing care. (Skilled nursing care is what you'd think of as a tradition nursing home with an RN always on site and a doctor always on call.)
                Last edited by The Sicatoka; 05-22-2018, 09:33 AM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Southern Baptist leader tells a woman to not report a rape and instead forgive her attacker.
                  The best people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...945a&tid=sm_fb

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    Southern Baptist leader tells a woman to not report a rape and instead forgive her attacker.
                    The best people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...945a&tid=sm_fb
                    I wonder what his position on Bill C was.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      I wonder what his position on Bill C was.
                      He wasn’t a private citizen
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        As much as that lady was being petty, and sitting on the phone with the police for two hours over it is absurd...she was right. Charcoal is not allowed to be used in that section of the park.
                        Pretty sure they were in the section designated for charcoal grills. Which is clearly besides the point and not worth calling the cops over even if you aren’t a racist POS like her.
                        Last edited by trixR4kids; 05-22-2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                          Pretty sure they were in the section designated for charcoal grills. Which is clearly besides the point and not worth calling the cops over even if you aren’t a racist POS like her.
                          No, they weren't. Like I said, though, she was being petty and absurd. I doubt most normal people call the cops in this situation.

Lake Merritt has six designated barbecue zones ― three that permit charcoal grills and three designated for “non-charcoal portable grills,” according to the Oakland city website. The family was in a barbecue-designated area, but had a charcoal grill in a “non-charcoal” zone.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Ah yeah you're right, I misread that part.

Comment

Women attempts to drive through half marathon.

The accents make it such a more sophisticated interaction.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                No, they weren't. Like I said, though, she was being petty and absurd. I doubt most normal people call the cops in this situation.
                                What's the charcoal vs non-charcoal deal there? Does it have to do with risk of fires, or is it an air quality deal, or what?
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X