Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East Preseason Thread 2017

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Are we really boasting about showing up red headed stepchildren? c'mon!!!!

We are all red headed step children in Norm Bazin's eyes

Everyone seems to be getting a bit antsy (The BU thread is just starting to heat up with [a] chest beating NU fan{s}), so it seems like as good a time as any to start up this thread. Here is your chance to make an idiot out of yourself by December and be redeemed in March. Last year was definitely a down year for the conference, and looking at some of the predictions from last year, I would say we were all off our game a bit (except Patronick and some Golden Domer for whatever reason :P).

Predict!

Standings 1-11
    Tournament Champion
    NCAA tournament team(s)
    POY
    COY
    ROY
    Goaltender of the year?

Fun/Non-traditional Predictions
    Does Whistling Dick reach # 600 (13 wins?)
    Any coach firings?
    Does Norm Bazin get a contract extension?
    Does BU have any Seniors on their team entering 2018?
    Who has higher admissions standards, UNH or BC?

A few highlights from last years thread.

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
    You are delusional if you think Maine is going to finish in the basement or if Gendron is going to be fired. He just signed an extension for a good reason.

Basement +1 =/= basement

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    NU also returns Jim Madigan. Let's see if he was a one hit wonder.

Half his team went down with injuries, BUT he didn't ever bench Ruck. I'd say this is still up for debate. NU should sign him to a nice long extension

Originally posted by m1_ping View Post
    1. Boston College
    2. Notre Dame
    3. Boston University
    4. Massachusetts - Lowell
    5. Providence
    6. Vermont
    7. Merrimack
    8. Northeastern
    9. Connecticut
    10. New Hampshire
    11. Massachusetts
    12. Maine

Actually probably will be the closest thing to a winner. Issue is you're a Notre Dame fan and I ain't giving you any awards. Sorry

The NU Fan Section (RIP Gr8sk8M8 and KRoy4Hobey, I will accept the adulation of all for running them off)

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
    Northeastern should be embarrassed if they finish behind Vermont.
    Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
    It is funny seeing everybody diss NU on this board. Mostly by bc and bu fans that are so butt hurt that NU the underdog for years won the championship. .
    Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    To paraphrase the children's song:

Nobody likes us, everybody hates us,
    We're gonna go eat worms!
    Big fat juicy ones,
    Eensie weensy squeensy ones,
    See how they wiggle and squirm!
    Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
    Wake us up when Vermont does anything of note. Try getting past round 1 of the playoffs even. We will happily take talking to's from BC, BU, Lowell, PC fans on here with actual sustained success but man, win a few games first.
    Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
    I appreciate all of the Feedback that's being left - anonymously of course - in my "rep"...
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Re: Hockey East Preseason Thread 2017

To be fair to my contingent, Vermont finishing sixth and giving up 14 goals to BC in round 2 is not actually as good as NU's goaltending disaster makes it seem, but anyway.

Standings 1-11
    1. BU
    2. PC
    3. UML

Pretty clear cutoff here.

4. NU
    5. BC
    6. UVM

Pretty clear cutoff again.

7. UMass
    8. Merrimack
    9. UConn

Smaller gap here

10. Maine
    11. UNH

Tournament Champion PC because BU is as 18 years old as ever.

NCAA tournament team(s) BU, PC, UML, and someone from that 4-6 group. Saying that because the team in fifth will probably beat the team in 4th in the PWR to be annoying.

POY - Adam Gaudette (NU)

COY - Nate Leaman (PC)

ROY - *looks up BU freshman list* I guess let's try Tkachuk this time. I picked Bellows last year so I'm probably going to be wrong again.

Goaltender of the year? Everybody except Ryan Ruck. (Woll)

Fun/Non-traditional Predictions

Does Whistling Dick reach # 600 (13 wins?) Nope

Any coach firings? Can I count Dick? If not, no, because Maine probably still can't afford to fire Gendron.

Does Norm Bazin get a contract extension? Does he not have a lifetime contract yet? Somebody should work on that.

Does BU have any Seniors on their team entering 2018? Are you implying that Shane Switzer, the greatest BU defenseman of all time, might not sign the most lucrative ELC of all time?

Who has higher admissions standards, UNH or BC? UNH, since that is the single only reason why they never get good recruits anymore and it has nothing to do with anything else.
    Last edited by TheRevengeance; 09-07-2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Just going with the regular season standings: 1. BC 2. BU 3. UMass-Lowell 4. Providence 5. Vermont 6. Northeastern 7. Maine 8. UNH 9. UConn 10. UMass 11. Merrimack.

Comment

Maine and UNH suck
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Maine and UNH suck
          Stop giving umo too much credit!!
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            Just going with the regular season standings: 1. BC 2. BU 3. UMass-Lowell 4. Providence 5. Vermont 6. Northeastern 7. Maine 8. UNH 9. UConn 10. UMass 11. Merrimack.
            What is your rationale for putting BC #1?

Comment

Few quick thoughts...
              1. Looking forward to seeing NU fall on their face (again).
              2. Hoping BU's resurgence will spark BC to move forward SOON to keep up with Quinn. While I'm ok with their general success, the fewer trophies they get during this upswing the better, unfortunately in league that would mean leaving it for one of the gutter programs of the league or the annoying nouveau riche folks from Providence so... really no thanks to all options other than Jerry York pulling off a miracle.
              3. Nice to see Our Lady or Moral Victory is back in a league where they (probably don't) belong... and probably one they can be more competitive in. Now I don't have to look at those stupid helmets and watch their goalie kick the posts off 30 times a game.

Drop the puck!
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Standings

1. PC
                2. BC
                3. Lowell
                4. NU
                5. BU
                6. UConn
                7. UVM
                8. MC
                9. UMass
                10. UNH
                11. Maine

Tournament Champion - PC
                NCAA tournament team(s) - Lowell, PC, BC, BU, NU
                POY - Wall (BC)
                COY - Leaman (PC)
                ROY - Ferraro (UMA)
                Goaltender of the year- Wall (BC)

Does Whistling Dick reach # 600 (13 wins?) - Nope
                Any coach firings? - Gendron just got an extension, so no
                Does Norm Bazin get a contract extension? - Please for the love of god yes
                Does BU have any Seniors on their team entering 2018? Greenway sticks around because he wants to win a trophy (not share) while at BU, plus more gets to choose NHL destination
                Who has higher admissions standards, UNH or BC? BC just lost a top 10 recruit in the country, who is lighting it up overseas. Its BC, but by midseason we will hear the goalie who decommitted from UNH to go to BU was told he would not get accepted to UNH anyways
                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                  Goaltending, Solid game planning by York....and players that know about winning.

Comment

BU-Someone has to be #1, I see this as a down year for Hockey East
                    NEU-They should be really good if the frosh goalie is any decent
                    UML-Giving them this position based on reputation and lack of talent in Hockey East
                    PC -See above
                    BC-Think some posters are overrating them based on reputation
                    UVM-Were solid last year and should be again this year
                    Maine-Need a couple freshmen forwards to step up, should be a more solid team than Maine has had in awhile
                    UConn-Rate Cavanaugh very highly
                    MC-Not as bad as UNH and UMass
                    UNH-Not quite as bad as UMass, but close
                    UMass-They have a very good freshmen class but not much else
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Didn't make the collection of NU fans in the original post. Means I gotta be either more divisive or more abrasive

Standings: 1) BU 2) PC 3) UML 4) NU 5) BC 6) UVM 7) UConn 8) UMass 9) MC 10) Maine 11) UNH

Champion: PC
                      NCAA Teams: BU, PC, UML, NU, BC
                      POY: Gaudette. Yes I'm a homer. Think Greenway has a legit shot too.
                      ROY: Tkachuk, but very excited to watch Cale Makar
                      COY: Nate Leaman
                      GOY: Oettinger

Umile: Doesn't get 600. Finishes at 599, comes back one more year to try and get #600
                      Firings: None, but Red's seat gets the hottest
                      Bazin extension: Yes, he's gonna coach there forever
                      BU seniors: Yes
                      Admissions: Depends on which thread you read when a player gets denied entry!
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        Few quick thoughts...
                        2. Hoping BU's resurgence will spark BC to move forward SOON to keep up with Quinn. While I'm ok with their general success, the fewer trophies they get during this upswing the better, unfortunately in league that would mean leaving it for one of the gutter programs of the league or the annoying nouveau riche folks from Providence so... really no thanks to all options other than Jerry York pulling off a miracle.
                        3. Nice to see Our Lady or Moral Victory is back in a league where they (probably don't) belong... and probably one they can be more competitive in. Now I don't have to look at those stupid helmets and watch their goalie kick the posts off 30 times a game.

Drop the puck!
                        I see BC has 2 good size Dmen coming in. Lack of size on the blue line was glaring last season. Although Lohan is only here for 1 year as a transfer grad student from UM.

I'm hoping the new forwards can add needed offense after last year. Losing Tolvanen is big.

Another down year for BC unfortunately. Who knows maybe we will be surprised.
                        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                          He wanted to anger Tater/hates BU

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            I just checked and see Jim Madigan is STILL the head coach at NU. Your take checks out.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I just checked and see Jim Madigan is STILL the head coach at NU. Your take checks out.
                              you guys talking NU Huskies.. good, he must be doing something right.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X