9. Maine
    10. Amherst
    11. UNH
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Comment

Re: Hockey East Preseason Thread 2017

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      Wow, not a single mention so far for Oettinger for the goalie award. He was All-Rookie and 2nd team HE last year.

Maybe thinking he won't see enough shots given the 7 drafted defensemen in front of him???
      that could be, he's outstanding

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
        If Bazin didn't win for taking a 5 win team to 24, a first ncaa appearance in 15 years and a ncaa tournament win, I really doubt Carvel has a shot at the Penrose.
        Fair point. I certainly would have voted for Bazin that year (and most years, he's the best in the business right now IMO) and I'm always one that thinks COTY is about exceeding expectations more than anything. That could be a "pro sports" way of looking at it I guess, since college coaches are responsible for personnel and therefore the expectations to begin with.
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          Wow, not a single mention so far for Oettinger for the goalie award. He was All-Rookie and 2nd team HE last year.

Maybe thinking he won't see enough shots given the 7 drafted defensemen in front of him???
          He doesn't have to bail out Charlie anymore after he gets caught up ice

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
            Fair point. I certainly would have voted for Bazin that year (and most years, he's the best in the business right now IMO) and I'm always one that thinks COTY is about exceeding expectations more than anything. That could be a "pro sports" way of looking at it I guess, since college coaches are responsible for personnel and therefore the expectations to begin with.
            I think you're right that achieving most above expectation generally wins conference COY but I'd doubt national COY would ever go to someone who didn't make the tournament. Obviously nominations include conference COY winners, but the national vote partly because the voters are more separate, trends toward coaches with more tangible accomplishments
            BS UMass Lowell 2015
            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

I did fairly well last year (nailed the bottom third) with a very cloudy crystal ball so here’s this year’s stab in the dark (crystal ball still cloudy):

1 – University of Kentucky—Boston (one-and-done is how we do it...care for a Julep?)
              2 – Providence (making up for doubting Leaman in last year’s predictions)
              3 (tie) – Northeastern (assumes Primeau is the real deal and the injury bug stays away)
              3 (tie) – Lowell (consistency is Norm Bazin’s middle name)
              5 – BC (it will be crowded at the top this year)
              6 – Vermont (goaltending got shaky down the stretch last year and losing Dman Abramson won't help with that)
              7 – UMass (riding Cale Makar to become the surprise team of the year)
              8 – Merrimack (losing Colin Delia will be tough to overcome)
              9 – Connecticut (if they couldn’t do better last year with Tage Thompson, it will be hard to improve this year without him...losing faith in the #Icebus)
              10 – Maine (They’ll burn some people along the way but still too many obstacles in their path)
              11 – UNH (if the players are hell-bent to get Umile his 600th, they'll spoil some parties)

Tournament Champion: Providence
              NCAA tournament team(s): NU, UML, PC, BC, UK-B
              POY: Dylan Sikura
              COY: Greg Carvel, if his team does indeed surprise (otherwise Leaman)
              ROY: One of the one-and-dones from UK-B
              Goaltender of the year: Jake Oettinger

Fun/Non-traditional Predictions
              Does Whistling Dick reach #600 (13 wins?): Do two ties count as a win?
              Norm Bazin get a contract extension? Yes, unless he has his sights set on other things.
              Does BU have any Seniors on their team entering 2018? Only if UK hoops does.
              Any coach firings? No. UNH will see DU thru to #600; Maine’s issues are bigger than Red.
              Who has higher admissions standards, UNH or BC? Umm…it’s “Which,” not “Who.”

All-Name Team: Hayden Hawkey (C) (PC); Brett Boeing, Shane Bear (A), Ryan Badger (all UMass); Craig Puffer (A) and Max Suave (both UVM); Coach: Greg Carvel (UMass)
              Last edited by Split-N; 09-16-2017, 08:19 PM.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

All-Name Team: Hayden Hawkey (C) (PC); Brett Boeing, Shane Bear (A), Ryan Badger (all UMass); Craig Puffer (A) and Max Suave (both UVM); Coach: Greg Carvel (UMass)
                No love for Biagio Lerario?

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                  No love for Biagio Lerario?
                  Final cuts are always the toughest. In the end, it came down to Biagio Lerario, Vladislav Dzhiosvili (UVM), Kasperi Ohantakanen (UConn) and Max Suave. Max was just too smooth and required fewer keystrokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    Goaltending, Solid game planning by York....and players that know about winning.
                    I don't know about #1, but the man can certainly coach.
                    Last season, BC lost 6 forwards and 2 key D-men to early defection (lost 174 points... poof... gone!). The man coached the team with 9 frosh in the starting lineup to 1st place in Hockey East. Been a STH for 20 years. He can turn chicken pooh into chicken salad. Last season was one of the best coaching performances I've ever seen. Never count Jerry York out.
                    Last edited by FiveHole12; 09-19-2017, 05:57 AM.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Max Suave (both UVM)
                      Sorry to rain on your parade, but Sauve is neither at UVM currently, nor is he committed to us anymore.
                      https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

I've got one for the Chris Berman version of the All Name Team: UVM's Anthony "Rico" Petruzzelli.

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                          Sorry to rain on your parade, but Sauve is neither at UVM currently, nor is he committed to us anymore.
                          Guess they'll have to play shorthanded

Comment

Guess they'll have to play shorthanded
                            We have a player named Ace (Cowans) if that does anything for ya =P
                            https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                            https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                            NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                            Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

I'll toss Veli-Matti Tiuraniemi for Maine into the mix for the All-Name Team.

Try and say that three times fast.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                                I'll toss Veli-Matti Tiuraniemi for Maine into the mix for the All-Name Team.

Try and say that three times fast.
                                Gesundheit
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X