Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers

Is this the start of a new bit?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      This bit is ancient. And it's 100% true.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So that’s a yes?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
          So alot of people seem to think that Oprah's acceptance speech as the Golden Globes last night was a stump speech to launch her campaign.....
          Do we all get a brand new, stripped down, Ford Fiesta if she wins?
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            He stole it from me. That's my bit.

Comment

So alot of people seem to think that Oprah's acceptance speech as the Golden Globes last night was a stump speech to launch her campaign.....
              celebrity presidents are probably going to become the norm now. It's going to be based on name recognition and personality now I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                celebrity presidents are probably going to become the norm now. It's going to be based on name recognition and personality now I guess.
                Sadly I agree. Hey why not Mark Cuban! He's a billionaire with a reality TV show too, right?!?!?!

Now Jerry Springer would have been fun. Especially since he was actually an elected official in a prior life. Unfortunately he bagged a run for Ohio Gov this year.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  So, the trick isn't to counter absurd neo-conartist policies with loony lefty ones.
                  I always find it ironic that UBI gets labeled as a loony lefty policy when in a more sane world, it would probably be the conservative position. The whole idea is that you know how to spend your money better than the government does.

It should be noted that the campaign platform I was asked about was $1000/month, which Handy ballooned into $1000/week in order to go into his hysterics. Could a person live off that? No, but it's enough to bump anyone taking it up a standard deviation or two. It's like a non-BS version of W's stimulus that the right loved. You could probably even rope in the White Genocide lunatics on the right(I believe they're called 'Republicans'), because I can't tell you how many middle class white families I know that would have another kid if it wasn't so ****ing expensive.

So how do you pay for it?

First of all, the number of people getting it is a lot smaller than assumed earlier. Nobody at the top is taking it because you can give them a tax incentive to not take it. And nobody at the bottom is getting it because they're already getting it(and hopefully more) through welfare.

Second, it's not fair to say we have a $4T federal budget and we'd be adding another $3-4T on top of that, because a good percentage of the latter is already covered by the former. If you say we need to be spending money on college education and healthcare, guess what? A good chunk of that UBI money is going to be spent on college education and healthcare anyway. An extra $12K a year in your pocket is $12K you don't need to take out in student loans. Again, shrinking the size of bloated government social programs, which leads to inefficiencies, is a very conservative principle.

As far the rest, pull up any chart on wage stagnation for the majority of American workers. There's been more than enough money stolen by the rich from the lower/middle class to make up the difference. Giving some of that back strengthens the middle class back to something closer to what it once was and would do wonders for the economy. It's not millennials that are killing Applebee's. It's that it's a family restaurant which most families can't afford to eat at more than once in a blue moon.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

I’m not sure I want her negotiating with North Korea, Russia, or Iran. She’s be better than the doofus we have now, but come on. Can’t we get someone who understands and knows geopolitical issues?
                    Oh come on, think of the fun. "You get a sanction, and you get a sanction, and you get a sanction...."
                    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

So now I'm confused....

If we're shrinking "bloated government programs" - which ones? Do you want to replace Medicare/Medicaid with UBI? Or govt assistance with student loans. Get rid of Pell Grants? How are you making people any better off if you give with one hand and take with the other? At the end of the day then, aren't these people just break even at best?

To your point about not covering 150M people @ 1000 a week (Handy's assumption IIRC) okay. Lets cut it back. 12K a year for 100M people (less than 1/3rd of the US population). That's still 1.2T bucks. Every year. I'm also curious if UBI changes with inflation or stays at 1000.

Finally, and no offense, but the notion that you'd get the Republicans to go along with this is fantasyland thinking. Its like when Kep thought Bernie would walk away with half of the GOP vote due to economic issues, completely ignoring that most Goopers vote the way they do based on emotional/race issues.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          Finally, and no offense, but the notion that you'd get the Republicans to go along with this is fantasyland thinking.
                          I never said they would, just that in a sane world they would. But of course....*gestures broadly toward national government*

You wouldn't be replacing big programs, but benefits for those programs are based on income level, and with everyone however much richer, that means you'd be using less of those programs. It's not necessarily a magical cure-all that is going to drastically change everyone's lives, but it does give people greater economic flexibility to where, if they don't need it for that stuff, they have that money to spend however they want, rather than it ending up in some billionaire's hedge fund or sitting in Panama.

Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Comment

I’m not sure I want her negotiating with North Korea, Russia, or Iran. She’s be better than the doofus we have now, but come on. Can’t we get someone who understands and knows geopolitical issues?
                            Stupid people are uncomfortable with smart people because it reminds them of their stupidity. That's the whole basis of "I'd like to have a beer with him."

We've already had celebrities as presidents: the war heroes in the 19th century. Those guys weren't logistical geniuses or brilliant field commanders, they were just darlings of a voracious and sycophantic legend-building media. William Henry Harrison was the Oprah of the War of 1812, Zachary Taylor was the Kanye of the Seminole War, and James Garfield was Justin Bieber at Shiloh and Chickamauga.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That's quite unfair to Garfield to put him in with the other two. Grant, absolutely, but Garfield was a pretty sharp guy with lots of political experience, and only ended up on the presidential as a compromise candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                That's quite unfair to Garfield to put him in with the other two. Grant, absolutely, but Garfield was a pretty sharp guy with lots of political experience, and only ended up on the presidential as a compromise candidate.
                                That may be. Grant I would not lump in with the starlets. I was looking for guys who didn't really do anything on the battlefield either but be in the right place at the right time. Grant was, militarily, legit.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X