X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Aaah, so first it was Demographics that's going to fix it. Now it's Generational. After they lose again what's the excuse?
    Refused to join Bernie's cult!
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...esidential-run

I'm in.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I'm mostly leaving these Tweets here to get Rover and Kepler's reactions...

Comment

Sounds like that guy huffs a lot of glue.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            I'm mostly leaving these Tweets here to get Rover and Kepler's reactions...
            I like the tweets. Bernie is correct on the economics but he can be terribly short-sighted on Grand Strategy, and he steps in it again and again. The tweets show perfectly how vulnerable that makes the ideas.

Rover is actually a perfect exemplar of the forces within the Democratic party which liberals need to either co-opt or circumvent to recapture the party. His heart is clearly in the right place but he has drunk deep of the Clinton-Obama waters. His ambition is to contain Republican fascism and limit their damage. His solution is one word: Electability. Everything else can wait.

The problem is across an interval of elections that has led to a ratchet effect where the centerpoint of American politics keeps migrating farther to the right. We win and we roll back some of the derp; they win and perpetrate not just that same derp but even more. And so it has moved, for forty years, and America is now an all-but-unrecognizable fascist rogue state run by billionaires hooted on by the brainless braying of our least mentally and morally capable citizens.

We have to find a way to observe Rover's concern but also to chart a generational change. And we can't just go back and unwind all the fascist derp. Clearly, where we came from was not satisfying enough voters. It didn't improve their lives or protect them, at least not enough. We have to build a whole new system to replace not just the Republican death machine but also the old, obsolete Democratic system.

Rover and I will never do that -- we are far too old and too compromised. There may be a handful of political visionaries over 40 who can see the mountaintop and help get America there, but it sure aint Hillary and him and clearly it aint Bernie or me. So anything that embarrasses Bernie and cleaves liberals off of him is fine by me. His time is long past. We need an army of young, radical Americans who will drive a stake into the heart of the plutocracy. Their way will be unrecognizable to the Rovers and Keplers of the old, dying world. Is this your world or isn't it? If it is, then seize it!

"With fading hands w-- hey! You stole my torch!"
            Last edited by Kepler; 02-23-2018, 02:12 AM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'll play along.

My goal isn't to "contain Republican fascism". My goal is to destroy everything about them and burn that treasonous, brainless, knuckledragger party to the ground. On that score we are of the same mind. Recall you're the person who thought last year that like half the GOP base could become Dem votes based on Bernie's message, where I was telling you unless Bernie wants to start pimping racism as part of his message (and he'd be about the last guy to do that) he has no prayer of winning over GOP voters. Its a cult and IMHO you now realize that.

Where we differ, strongly, is on tactics. Some people would like to see a purity test for all Dems with the possible exception of those running in tough races such as Joe Manchin or Doug Jones. I stress the word "possible" because I'm sure there's a great deal of far lefties who don't see a difference between a Dem or a Gooper representing WVA. My take is far different. Have a primary. Everybody in. In that case there's no bitterness on my end for Bernie running. He has every right and made a good show of it. BUT, whoever loses the primary, it is your duty 99% of the time to support the nominee for whatever race is being contested, because Republicans are all, to a man (or woman) fuking insane or total cowards. Yes there will always be an unacceptable nominee but those cases are exceedingly rare. If the lefty beats the mod, then we all get behind the lefty. Same goes if the mod beats the lefty. That logic is missing in the Democratic party nowadays, but in the age of Trump needs to be beaten over the head of anybody who still thinks sitting home or worse voting FOR Trump as apparently a couple of million butthurt Sanders supporters did last year, is an appropriate response to not getting 100% of your way.

So, the #1 goal is getting elected. Once you do that and you control the political process, you can sort things out. If you aren't in the majority in the House for example, you have zero power even if you've achieved 100% purity. I'll also close by noting so called "conservaDems" have won 4 out the last 7 Presidential elections, and drew more votes in 6 out of 7. True blue lefties have not won a Presidential election since LBJ in 1964.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                So, the #1 goal is getting elected. Once you do that and you control the political process, you can sort things out.
                I agree with this as long as we learn to lie on the campaign trail. Campaign as centrists, govern as radicals. The GOP has done it since 1980 and they have succeeded in foisting their sick agenda on the country. They proved democracy is only as strong as the voters' mental acuity, which means a universal electorate turns elections into derpfests. OK, lesson learned. Learn to lie. Run on moderation, confirm judges who are sixteen standard deviations to the left of the 9th.

We both agree the GOP is a diseased tick that has to be burned off the body politic for democracy to survive. Start there and end there.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I agree with this as long as we learn to lie on the campaign trail. Campaign as centrists, govern as radicals. The GOP has done it since 1980 and they have succeeded in foisting their sick agenda on the country. They proved democracy is only as strong as the voters' mental acuity, which means a universal electorate turns elections into derpfests. OK, lesson learned. Learn to lie. Run on moderation, confirm judges who are sixteen standard deviations to the left of the 9th.

We both agree the GOP is a diseased tick that has to be burned off the body politic for democracy to survive. Start there and end there.
                  That's all I'm sayin'.

Comment

Well then we are in violent agreement.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Well then we are in violent agreement.
                      And I'm on board as well. A banner day.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

His heart is clearly in the right place but he has drunk deep of the Clinton-Obama waters.
                        I love how Clinton-Obama is used as some sort of pejorative. If you want to be a true progressive, start measuring people by actual progress, not how pretty the same piece of legislation they submit every year is, even though it will never pass in a million years. Obama passed a major national health care bill. What's Bernie's big accomplishment? Getting a Ben and Jerry's flavor named after himself?
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                          I love how Clinton-Obama is used as some sort of pejorative. If you want to be a true progressive, start measuring people by actual progress, not how pretty the same piece of legislation they submit every year is, even though it will never pass in a million years. Obama passed a major national health care bill. What's Bernie's big accomplishment? Getting a Ben and Jerry's flavor named after himself?
                          It's not a pejorative. Try reading.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            Bernie is way cool
                            Everybody likes Bernie
                            Everyone wants to hang out with him
                            Anything he wants to do, he did

He could turn water into wine
                            Or if he wanted to
                            He could have turned wheat into marijuana
                            Or sugar into amphetamines
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              He's the guy pushing single payer, affordable college, getting money out of politics, legal marijuana, securing voter rights, and various other progressive platforms that are in line with the current political landscape.

Originally posted by Rover
                              My take is far different. Have a primary. Everybody in. In that case there's no bitterness on my end for Bernie running. He has every right and made a good show of it. BUT, whoever loses the primary, it is your duty 99% of the time to support the nominee for whatever race is being contested, because Republicans are all, to a man (or woman) fuking insane or total cowards. Yes there will always be an unacceptable nominee but those cases are exceedingly rare. If the lefty beats the mod, then we all get behind the lefty. Same goes if the mod beats the lefty.
                              Totally agree on this and it sounds like the DNC is fixing some of its processes related to their primary system.
                              Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-23-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                                He's the guy pushing single payer, affordable college, getting money out of politics, legal marijuana, securing voter rights, and various other progressive platforms that are in line with the current political landscape.
                                And how is that working out for him? I'm sure the ice cream is delicious.
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X