Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS 45.19: Being Douced by Irma makes me sad!!

Re: POTUS 45.19: Being Douced by Irma makes me sad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    So you didnt look at any of the pictures from Charlottesville then? Most of the people marching werent old... (see also: The Burning Cross Picture from HS students in Iowa)

You need to take a step back and look at the big picture, not just the whiners on cable news. The youth in America are no less racist or sexist than the old just walk on a college campus you will see.
    Pretty sure the data shows that there's a clear shift to dems among young voters. And that's not to say racism doesn't exist anymore amongst young people, it clearly does, but big picture wise these things have gotten better over time as we've seen throughout the history of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    JTC, math just isn't that hard.
    Handy is not a big fan of stats/data/math from what I gather

The problem with Kepler's math is they have power everywhere in the United States. The Democrats may not even exist anywhere outside of a large city.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Math. Math. Math.

There are young racist as-sholes now.

There were more in the past.

They've been dying off. That doesn't mean they're dead. It doesn't mean the racists you meet will be old -- most old racists are hunched over the bar or the barber chair in Nobuttsecks, Jesusland drooling about Dubyadubyatwothebigone. The ones who get out and around are going to be the young ones. They still exist. As long as there are trailer parks fat prairie brood sows will be splooshing out litters of them.

But there are fewer now.

JTC, math just isn't that hard.
    You know just because you make assumptions doesnt make the math correct right? Cite some numbers for proof or your whole premise is as flawed as an opinion by Drew S.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Pretty sure the data shows that there's a clear shift to dems among young voters. And that's not to say racism doesn't exist anymore amongst young people, it clearly does, but big picture wise these things have gotten better over time as we've seen throughout the history of this country.
    There's that and there's also this.

The right is starting to run out of uneducated people. As long as Americans continue to be better educated than their parents, the country will continue to move leftward. That is not because liberalism is inherently more intellectually rigorous than conservatism, but because what passes for "conservatism" in the US is just reactionary authoritarianism, and that is extremely susceptible to education because it rests on ignorance and fear.

As Americans become more educated the real beneficiary will be the right because conservatism will start to move back towards the principled, intellectual conservatism before the Culture War. The right has taken a vacation from thinking these last fifty or so years, but the vacation is ending. Since obviously the right will adapt rather than die, we will eventually see a right that is no longer reactionary and fascistic but creative and liberating -- a right worth voting for, in fact. But until that happens they will be the same sad sack sadists of the last several generations.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

You know just because you make assumptions doesnt make the math correct right? Cite some numbers for proof or your whole premise is as flawed as an opinion by Drew S.
    Not flawed, but yes, unsupported.

Here is some support, to start.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Handy is not a big fan of stats/data/math from what I gather
    So your premise is that Democrats arent racist? (since according to Kep less youth are racist now and more you are Democrats) Please...name your price I will bet you any amount. I may not be a stats nerd but even I know that basic stats dont bear that out. The whole notion is ridiculous on its face. (and easily disproven just like Kepler's idiotic notion that the Dems arent in any way Misogynistic)

And my problem with stats is sports related because nerds think they can quantify everything. You cant. Stats are tools, very helpful tools but they cannot account for everything and they often dont prove what people think they do.

But please...you math guys explain to dump ole math hating me. Show me the numbers that prove racists are "dying off". Shouldnt be hard seeing as Kepler keeps telling us in no uncertain terms it is true.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Some Democrats are also misogynists. Whether Kepler thinks they are or not. And the number is higher than you think. And they're not "dying" off either.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Some Democrats are also misogynists. Whether Kepler thinks they are or not. And the number is higher than you think.
    Source?

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Source?
    http://nypost.com/2016/06/06/stanfor...onscious-coed/

That happened in the most liberal state in the country.

So your premise is that Democrats arent racist? (since according to Kep less youth are racist now and more you are Democrats) Please...name your price I will bet you any amount. I may not be a stats nerd but even I know that basic stats dont bear that out. The whole notion is ridiculous on its face. (and easily disproven just like Kepler's idiotic notion that the Dems arent in any way Misogynistic)

And my problem with stats is sports related because nerds think they can quantify everything. You cant. Stats are tools, very helpful tools but they cannot account for everything and they often dont prove what people think they do.

But please...you math guys explain to dump ole math hating me. Show me the numbers that prove racists are "dying off". Shouldnt be hard seeing as Kepler keeps telling us in no uncertain terms it is true.
    Let me guess. In baseball you favor the "eye test"?

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

There's that and there's also this.

The right is starting to run out of uneducated people. As long as Americans continue to be better educated than their parents, the country will continue to move leftward. That is not because liberalism is inherently more intellectually rigorous than conservatism, but because what passes for "conservatism" in the US is just reactionary authoritarianism, and that is extremely susceptible to education because it rests on ignorance and fear.
    Well they're trying to fix that with Betsy as well as in all the knuckle-dragger states (looking at you Kansas and WI). I'd like to share your optimism here but as college costs go up and no remedy is available to make it more accessible I'm not sure there's any reason to be. I haven't read the whole article but does it state whether more people are going to college on average than say 10-20 years ago (obviously it's increased since the baby boomer era)?

Sports are WAY too complicated for the scientific process to apply you see, even though they use it to explain way more difficult phenomena...
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 09-08-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Not flawed, but yes, unsupported.

Here is some support, to start.
    It takes more than showing who voted for Obama to prove racists are dying off. First of all it hinges on the idea that ONLY whites are racist and they are ONLY racist towards Blacks. Now we both know that isnt true. Plus, people can vote for a Black Person and still dislike Black People. If it helps them they can overlook anything we prove this every day. Hell the SEC has been making billions on it yearly for decades. People can hate all darkies except "their darkies".

Here is the thing I think the levels stay flat, it is how the rest of society treats them which effects whether we see them or not. Think of it like the way you talk about how cops treat Black People. They always pulled the crap they are getting caught doing now but now cameras catch it. Racists are always here they just hide when society shames them and/or if things are prosperous. When things go negative or they are ignored they come out guns blazing. Now that is just a FEELING so I of course could be completely wrong
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

does it state whether more people are going to college on average than say 10-20 years ago (obviously it's increased since the baby boomer era)?
    The numbers for HS and college attainment have been on a steady rise for a century.

If you like your lessons in dramatic charts, check out row 1, column 1, in what could be called "how the Democrats lost the Deplorables."
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-08-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

I'm not gonna pretend to be well versed on the stats of this honestly but we've seen over time that attitudes have shifted and people on average have become less racist. 150 or so years ago we had slavery, 50 years ago we had Jim Crowe laws, now we have people who sorta just beat around the bush and do the false equivalency routine etc. At the very least in that sense it has improved albeit begrudgingly/more slowly than most would like.

No. Lots of factors figure into things. (situational) But lets not pretend like advanced stats are the be all end all of things either...you still need things beyond that. If that wasnt the truth Moneyball wouldnt be a movie that ends with the A's losing to the Twins in the playoffs.

Stats matter, but sometimes you have to look beyond them to.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Left wing ideology: "Anyone who disagrees with me is a racist."
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

I'm not gonna pretend to be well versed on the stats of this honestly but we've seen over time that attitudes have shifted and people on average have become less racist. 150 or so years ago we had slavery, 50 years ago we had Jim Crowe laws, now we have people who sorta just beat around the bush and do the false equivalency routine etc. At the very least in that sense it has improved albeit begrudgingly/more slowly than most would like.
    Attitudes have shifted in public, people can still be racist at home. Dont fall into the trap pollsters did Trump. People were afraid to admit who they were voting for so Trump's support looked less than it was.

For example...I know people who work in minority communities and in the public eye act progressive and open but get them away from possible shaming and they say vile racist crap about the very people they are friends with at work. That is the problem with assertions like that...
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Stats matter, but sometimes you have to look beyond them to.
    You won't find a single person who understands statistical modeling who will disagree with your statement. The problem with the anti-stats arguments I have heard and read is they attack a strawman. Anybody who truly understands statistics also understands issues of probability, accuracy, relevance, repeatability, dependence and independence, prediction vs description, robustness, noise, error and significance.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

The numbers for HS and college attainment have been on a steady rise for a century.

If you like your lessons in dramatic charts, check out row 1, column 1, in what could be called "how the Democrats lost the Deplorables."
    So now your belief is that only uneducated people are racist? How many of the marchers were College Republicans? When was the last time you spent any meaningful time on a college campus?

Where is Brent when I need him? I believe it is his friend who went to a hockey game at Minnesota and had some racist stuff chanted his way. Those are educated students at a liberal college in a liberal city in a liberal state. Trust me when I say this, you can be highly educated and still have very ignorant thoughts. Degrees /= progressive thoughts.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

You won't find a single person who understands statistical modeling who will disagree with your statement. The problem with the anti-stats arguments I have heard and read is they attack a strawman. Anybody who truly understands statistics also understands issues of probability, accuracy, relevance, repeatability, dependence and independence, prediction vs description, robustness, noise, error and significance.
    I love stats but people worship them over what actually happens in games.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Thread Information