Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.19: Being Douced by Irma makes me sad!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.19: Being Douced by Irma makes me sad!!

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Pretty sure the data shows that there's a clear shift to dems among young voters. And that's not to say racism doesn't exist anymore amongst young people, it clearly does, but big picture wise these things have gotten better over time as we've seen throughout the history of this country.

Handy is not a big fan of stats/data/math from what I gather
    So your premise is that Democrats arent racist? (since according to Kep less youth are racist now and more you are Democrats) Please...name your price I will bet you any amount. I may not be a stats nerd but even I know that basic stats dont bear that out. The whole notion is ridiculous on its face. (and easily disproven just like Kepler's idiotic notion that the Dems arent in any way Misogynistic)

And my problem with stats is sports related because nerds think they can quantify everything. You cant. Stats are tools, very helpful tools but they cannot account for everything and they often dont prove what people think they do.

But please...you math guys explain to dump ole math hating me. Show me the numbers that prove racists are "dying off". Shouldnt be hard seeing as Kepler keeps telling us in no uncertain terms it is true.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Some Democrats are also misogynists. Whether Kepler thinks they are or not. And the number is higher than you think. And they're not "dying" off either.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Some Democrats are also misogynists. Whether Kepler thinks they are or not. And the number is higher than you think.
        Source?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Source?
          http://nypost.com/2016/06/06/stanfor...onscious-coed/

That happened in the most liberal state in the country.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            So your premise is that Democrats arent racist? (since according to Kep less youth are racist now and more you are Democrats) Please...name your price I will bet you any amount. I may not be a stats nerd but even I know that basic stats dont bear that out. The whole notion is ridiculous on its face. (and easily disproven just like Kepler's idiotic notion that the Dems arent in any way Misogynistic)

And my problem with stats is sports related because nerds think they can quantify everything. You cant. Stats are tools, very helpful tools but they cannot account for everything and they often dont prove what people think they do.

But please...you math guys explain to dump ole math hating me. Show me the numbers that prove racists are "dying off". Shouldnt be hard seeing as Kepler keeps telling us in no uncertain terms it is true.
            Let me guess. In baseball you favor the "eye test"?
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There's that and there's also this.

The right is starting to run out of uneducated people. As long as Americans continue to be better educated than their parents, the country will continue to move leftward. That is not because liberalism is inherently more intellectually rigorous than conservatism, but because what passes for "conservatism" in the US is just reactionary authoritarianism, and that is extremely susceptible to education because it rests on ignorance and fear.
              Well they're trying to fix that with Betsy as well as in all the knuckle-dragger states (looking at you Kansas and WI). I'd like to share your optimism here but as college costs go up and no remedy is available to make it more accessible I'm not sure there's any reason to be. I haven't read the whole article but does it state whether more people are going to college on average than say 10-20 years ago (obviously it's increased since the baby boomer era)?

Sports are WAY too complicated for the scientific process to apply you see, even though they use it to explain way more difficult phenomena...
              Last edited by trixR4kids; 09-08-2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Not flawed, but yes, unsupported.

Here is some support, to start.
                It takes more than showing who voted for Obama to prove racists are dying off. First of all it hinges on the idea that ONLY whites are racist and they are ONLY racist towards Blacks. Now we both know that isnt true. Plus, people can vote for a Black Person and still dislike Black People. If it helps them they can overlook anything we prove this every day. Hell the SEC has been making billions on it yearly for decades. People can hate all darkies except "their darkies".

Here is the thing I think the levels stay flat, it is how the rest of society treats them which effects whether we see them or not. Think of it like the way you talk about how cops treat Black People. They always pulled the crap they are getting caught doing now but now cameras catch it. Racists are always here they just hide when society shames them and/or if things are prosperous. When things go negative or they are ignored they come out guns blazing. Now that is just a FEELING so I of course could be completely wrong
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

does it state whether more people are going to college on average than say 10-20 years ago (obviously it's increased since the baby boomer era)?
                  The numbers for HS and college attainment have been on a steady rise for a century.

If you like your lessons in dramatic charts, check out row 1, column 1, in what could be called "how the Democrats lost the Deplorables."
                  Last edited by Kepler; 09-08-2017, 01:24 PM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

I'm not gonna pretend to be well versed on the stats of this honestly but we've seen over time that attitudes have shifted and people on average have become less racist. 150 or so years ago we had slavery, 50 years ago we had Jim Crowe laws, now we have people who sorta just beat around the bush and do the false equivalency routine etc. At the very least in that sense it has improved albeit begrudgingly/more slowly than most would like.

Comment

No. Lots of factors figure into things. (situational) But lets not pretend like advanced stats are the be all end all of things either...you still need things beyond that. If that wasnt the truth Moneyball wouldnt be a movie that ends with the A's losing to the Twins in the playoffs.

Stats matter, but sometimes you have to look beyond them to.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Left wing ideology: "Anyone who disagrees with me is a racist."

Comment

I'm not gonna pretend to be well versed on the stats of this honestly but we've seen over time that attitudes have shifted and people on average have become less racist. 150 or so years ago we had slavery, 50 years ago we had Jim Crowe laws, now we have people who sorta just beat around the bush and do the false equivalency routine etc. At the very least in that sense it has improved albeit begrudgingly/more slowly than most would like.
                          Attitudes have shifted in public, people can still be racist at home. Dont fall into the trap pollsters did Trump. People were afraid to admit who they were voting for so Trump's support looked less than it was.

For example...I know people who work in minority communities and in the public eye act progressive and open but get them away from possible shaming and they say vile racist crap about the very people they are friends with at work. That is the problem with assertions like that...
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Stats matter, but sometimes you have to look beyond them to.
                            You won't find a single person who understands statistical modeling who will disagree with your statement. The problem with the anti-stats arguments I have heard and read is they attack a strawman. Anybody who truly understands statistics also understands issues of probability, accuracy, relevance, repeatability, dependence and independence, prediction vs description, robustness, noise, error and significance.
                            Cornell University

Comment

The numbers for HS and college attainment have been on a steady rise for a century.

If you like your lessons in dramatic charts, check out row 1, column 1, in what could be called "how the Democrats lost the Deplorables."
                              So now your belief is that only uneducated people are racist? How many of the marchers were College Republicans? When was the last time you spent any meaningful time on a college campus?

Where is Brent when I need him? I believe it is his friend who went to a hockey game at Minnesota and had some racist stuff chanted his way. Those are educated students at a liberal college in a liberal city in a liberal state. Trust me when I say this, you can be highly educated and still have very ignorant thoughts. Degrees /= progressive thoughts.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

You won't find a single person who understands statistical modeling who will disagree with your statement. The problem with the anti-stats arguments I have heard and read is they attack a strawman. Anybody who truly understands statistics also understands issues of probability, accuracy, relevance, repeatability, dependence and independence, prediction vs description, robustness, noise, error and significance.
                                I love stats but people worship them over what actually happens in games.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X