Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.19: Being Douced by Irma makes me sad!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.19: Being Douced by Irma makes me sad!!

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    The electoral college isn't the problem. Not knowing how to accurately connect to "middle America" is the problem.

The electoral college did it's job. It doesn't allow five populous metro centers to dictate the elections. If that was true, politicians would stump in the NY Burroughs, LA, Cook County, and call it a day.

What I want to know is how did Mrs. "Spent two decades in Arkansas, and less then a decade as a NY Elite," completely swing and miss allowing a true 100% NY Elite masquerade as a redneck hick?
    Too funny.

How? That's easy. She's a woman.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The electoral college isn't the problem if you're referring to Hillary losing or whatever. It's ****ing stupid that it exists though and that's a problem.

Comment

If that was true, politicians would stump in the NY Burroughs, LA, Cook County, and call it a day.
        And that would be a shame because those people don't count as full citizens.
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

The electoral college did it's job. It doesn't allow five populous metro centers to dictate the elections. If that was true, politicians would stump in the NY Burroughs, LA, Cook County, and call it a day.
          As a resident out in the sticks, the prospect of being ignored by presidential candidates and their television ads certainly adds at least an element of appeal to eliminating the electoral college.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The electoral college isn't the problem. Not knowing how to accurately connect to "middle America" is the problem.

The electoral college did it's job.
            Connecting is a piece, but yes our method of electing our government is still a problem. In 2016:

Yes Hillary won the popular vote but lost the election, with 2012 loser Romney getting a higher percentage of voters than did Trump.
            Also Dems got 54% of votes for US Senate - but 46% of Senators
            And Dems got 48% (vs. 49% for the GOP) of votes for the US House - but ended up with 47 less seats.

Connecting better or not...if results matched votes, we would have almost a full reversal of party power.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

No republican would ever win if all they did was campaign in NY, LA and Cook County. The electoral college might be a decent idea in theory, but when California has 66 times as many people (not all live in the big city by the way) as Wyoming but only 18 times as many electoral votes, a vote in Wyoming ends up being worth more than 3 times as much as on in California. And the fact already is that much of America is flyover country when it comes to presidential campaigns. The electoral college has to go.

You are correct though about the need to connect to middle America.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                No republican would ever win if all they did was campaign in NY, LA and Cook County. The electoral college might be a decent idea in theory, but when California has 66 times as many people (not all live in the big city by the way) as Wyoming but only 18 times as many electoral votes, a vote in Wyoming ends up being worth more than 3 times as much as on in California. And the fact already is that much of America is flyover country when it comes to presidential campaigns. The electoral college has to go.

You are correct though about the need to connect to middle America.
                We are far less represented now than at any other time in our nation's history. Historically, once a certain ratio was hit, we'd add reps even when not adding new states. We need to look at expanding the House, and these things will move back towards a balance, though it will never be completely balanced. And that's by design.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Has anyone else watched the Party Conventions through the years? I have. At the Republican convention for the 2004 election they handed out mini-flip-flops to every attendee. And then they would all chant flip-flop flip-flop about John Kerry.

At last years convention we had the "Lock Her Up" chants.

Neither of those things can/would be done by the Democrats.

It's 4D chess. If Trump were John Kerry or Hillary Clinton it would be a flip flop.
                  It's not 4D chess. Trumpy isn't capable of playing 1D chess.

What it is, is the general reluctance, nay, the general refusal, for Republicans to call out any of their own for their hypocrisy or misdoings. Hell, David Vitter could dress in a diaper and suckle from a hoo-ah's ***, and they didn't say a word. In fact, they re-elected him.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    We are far less represented now than at any other time in our nation's history. Historically, once a certain ratio was hit, we'd add reps even when not adding new states. We need to look at expanding the House, and these things will move back towards a balance, though it will never be completely balanced. And that's by design.
                    Yup. Haven't we been at 435 members of the House for 100 years or so? There are three times as many of us now as then.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Connecting is a piece, but yes our method of electing our government is still a problem. In 2016:

Yes Hillary won the popular vote but lost the election, with 2012 loser Romney getting a higher percentage of voters than did Trump.
                      Also Dems got 54% of votes for US Senate - but 46% of Senators
                      And Dems got 48% (vs. 49% for the GOP) of votes for the US House - but ended up with 47 less seats.

Connecting better or not...if results matched votes, we would have almost a full reversal of party power.
                      It's not a national election for the Federal government. It's 50/51 separate contests for President, 33/34 at one time for the Senate and 438 for the House. Using national vote figures is a misuse of sadistics.

If you want proportional representation like they have in some other countries, be prepared for the Silly Party and other fringe groups in the legislature.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        It's not a national election for the Federal government. It's 50/51 separate contests for President, 33/34 at one time for the Senate and 438 for the House. Using national vote figures is a misuse of sadistics.

If you want proportional representation like they have in some other countries, be prepared for the Silly Party and other fringe groups in the legislature.
                        Not so sure about that. Don't think I need to remind anyone that the GOP has won the national vote in only one presidential election in almost 3 decades - Bush's re election which likely would not have happened had he not been elected on a minority of vote in 2000. Its an issue closer to home as well.

Minnesota House of Reps votes every two years. The vote in the last election was almost a dead heat 50.3 for the GOP to 49.1 for the Dems. Yet the GOP ended up with 76 seats vs. 57 for the Dems.

No its not a straight up election for president or other government representation. But when the vote goes the opposite way of the majority frequently...it appears there could well be a problem.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          be prepared for the Silly Party and other fringe groups in the legislature.
                          Are you that lacking in self-awareness?
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            Are you that lacking in self-awareness?
                            If you go to proportional representation,you'll see it.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

No Korea launches another over Japan, did we shoot it down?
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                If you go to proportional representation,you'll see it.
                                We already have it, and you vote for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X