Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.19: Being Douced by Irma makes me sad!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.19: Being Douced by Irma makes me sad!!

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    It's interesting how some people hate the most non violent method of protesting.
    Marshawn Lynch kneeled, and didn't make a big deal out of it. Just sayin'.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Considering that NFL fans tend to forgive players who beat their wives/girlfriends, abuse drugs, assault children, drive drunk and even (allegedly) murder people maybe they shouldnt be the ones to judge someone harshly for silently protesting. The hypocrisy of most NFL fans is beyond hilarious. (see also: People in da South who can only stand Blacks when they play for the SEC)

Here is a fun thing to think about...look at how half the country reacted to a bunch of Nazis/White Supremacists walking down a street carrying guns and torches chanting racist vile. Look at how many of those same people react to a player choosing not to stand for a flipping song or to salute a piece of cloth. Both are protected speech yet one gets people foaming at the mouth screaming for blood and it isnt the one that involves the flipping Nazis. (and dont get me started on the whiny *** cops who cant handle any criticism at all)

Personally, I would argue taking a knee is respecting this country MORE than just blindly singing the National Anthem every game...
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I understand your view. I do. And when it comes to Kap....he just ain't that good. Also see Tebow. I guarantee if Newton spouted off and knelt and did all the PR....he'd still have a team. Kap just ain't worth the juice. Period. Neither was Tebow (although less on the political/social/religious spectrum).
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Considering that NFL fans tend to forgive players who beat their wives/girlfriends, abuse drugs, assault children, drive drunk and even (allegedly) murder people maybe they shouldnt be the ones to judge someone harshly for silently protesting. The hypocrisy of most NFL fans is beyond hilarious. (see also: People in da South who can only stand Blacks when they play for the SEC)

Here is a fun thing to think about...look at how half the country reacted to a bunch of Nazis/White Supremacists walking down a street carrying guns and torches chanting racist vile. Look at how many of those same people react to a player choosing not to stand for a flipping song or to salute a piece of cloth. Both are protected speech yet one gets people foaming at the mouth screaming for blood and it isnt the one that involves the flipping Nazis. (and dont get me started on the whiny *** cops who cant handle any criticism at all)

Personally, I would argue taking a knee is respecting this country MORE than just blindly singing the National Anthem every game...
          I would argue that the national anthem should represent the best of the USA. It doesn't represent the vile people marching in Virginia, and it doesn't represent anyone, cop or not, that kills someone based on his or her ethnicity. That kind of behavior does not represent the kind of America that you want to represent, but it also doesn't represent the kind of behavior that the USA is meant to represent.

I don't have a problem with the protests, it is every individuals right to do so. But, I also think it is short sighted to think that Kap is not being signed just because of his protests. There are many factors contributing to him not being signed, one of which is probably his activism, but that is not the only reason. If you look at Kap's game, his strengths, there are only a few teams that really fit his strengths. If another team signs him, that means reworking the offense, which is a big deal.

I don't think for a minute that Kap should be shut out. And I don't think he is being shutout. NFL teams care about 1 thing, and only 1 thing. Winning. The second Kap represents winning to a team, he's signed.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Also, I hate myself for even responding to this thread and getting pulled into political bull**** that I've been trying to avoid.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I agree. John Carlos and Tommie Smith showed courage and patriotism as well, IMO.

Comment

How much controversy would Kap really bring with him? People would get over it in a minute if 1) He sat on the bench anyway or 2) Started and played well. I don't know and won't care to speculate if he's really been black-balled, but anyone suggesting he'd bring measurable negative scrutiny to the franchise that signs him needs to wake up. Yes the derps will cry foul but they still watch the games despite rosters being full of them colored folk.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  How much controversy would Kap really bring with him? People would get over it in a minute if 1) He sat on the bench anyway or 2) Started and played well. I don't know and won't care to speculate if he's really been black-balled, but anyone suggesting he'd bring measurable negative scrutiny to the franchise that signs him needs to wake up. Yes the derps will cry foul but they still watch the games despite rosters being full of them colored folk.
                  Bingo.

That's why I mentioned the reports/rumors of him turning down offers to sit on the bench. That's not exactly black-balling him, but it doesn't fit the media narrative. And if he played well, then you look at the Marshawn Lynch kneel-down. He has a team and is getting paid.

Comment

Last hockey season didn't John Tortarella threaten (for lack of a better term) any members of his team if they didn't stand? I thought that was weird because hockey, way more than football, is made up of players who are not Americans. So he's making them stand for an anthem that isn't theirs. /random point

Comment

Took shots at the NFL last night, and this morning Trump withdraws invitation for Steph Curry to visit the White House because he was "hesitating."

Is he going after MLB, MLS, or NHL next? Or possibly the college ranks?
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

we should put Donald and Kapernick on and island so they can stroke each other about how they're the ONLY ONE who could do the job they're entitled to. Never mind that there are at least 1000 Americans who could do it better and you're not entitled to anything at all.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          we should put Donald and Kapernick on and island so they can stroke each other about how they're the ONLY ONE who could do the job they're entitled to. Never mind that there are at least 1000 Americans who could do it better and you're not entitled to anything at all.
                          I'm going to hell for thinking that you could put them on the island that Un wants to test a hydrogen bomb on.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Agree with this 100 times one million %. We have to expand the movement from peaceful protest to eliminating the anthem before all sporting events. It serves no purpose, other than ones it is not intended for, including silent peaceful protest.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

But, I also think it is short sighted to think that Kap is not being signed just because of his protests. There are many factors contributing to him not being signed, one of which is probably his activism, but that is not the only reason. If you look at Kap's game, his strengths, there are only a few teams that really fit his strengths. If another team signs him, that means reworking the offense, which is a big deal.
                              This is effectively untrue. Sure, he's probably not good enough to be a starter, and he's not good enough to be a back up on many teams. But there is no question he's beyond good enough to be the back up on plenty of teams. So yes, the reason he isn't being signed IS the protests. Teams look at the risk/reward aspect. Without the protests he most certainly would be earning an NFL paycheck, and depending on the team there would be at least a chance he'd end up as someone's starter. So the protest in fact ARE the reason. Its naive to believe otherwise.

Comment

trump is a spineless pansy chickenhawk. I would give my life's savings to see him lined up on a football field and take a hit from an actual NFL linebacker. Full speed, drive him into the ground, make his kidneys bleed, actual NFL hit. Who here WOULDN'T want to see that?

Comment

Working...
                                X