Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 374

Thread: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

  1. #61
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,614

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    I'm feelin' the need to add my footnotes to the DM post mortem...

    First, as is required in today's climate, let me note that I have nothing against the kid and wish him all the best at BU--which I suspect will suit him, given the stacked roster.

    That said, I need to chime in with my two cents on the history revisions underway....

    The numbers don't lie and after a stellar prep career, DM was a single digit scorer in three years in Troy. While I am willing to give him a 50% mulligan on these stats because of RPIs lack of scoring "syndrome" ...he sure as heck doesn't get a full pass!!

    Last season : 36-4-8-12. On a team starved for scoring he buried 4 pucks. FOUR. And that wasn't the worst of it. Far too often, the kid took large portions of shifts off, especially (almost always) when the puck left the rpi attacking zone. Disinterest, a complete lack of compete, i.e. "Being hard to play against " as the cliche goes is foreign to him. Opponents were given cringe worthy free skating zones on his side of the ice on rushes. He had less than zero interest in defensive responsibility. ZERO.

    Talk all you want about him playing this year "for his pro career". That's a joke. He'll never make it out of the E if doesn't get his mind right and decide to contribute to some semblance of team defense. The pros will eat him alive.

    I wish him good luck, but to blame his offensive drought COMPLETELY on the system or the coaches is a joke. Its mirror time for DM.

    Successful D1 forwards earn their opportunities and their points. They don't wait for them to land on the tape.

  2. #62
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    In honor of Billy Jerry and Amanda Kimmerle, today is 10 September 2017. There are 20 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.[/QUOTE]

  3. #63
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,248

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I'm feelin' the need to add my footnotes to the DM post mortem...

    First, as is required in today's climate, let me note that I have nothing against the kid and wish him all the best at BU--which I suspect will suit him, given the stacked roster.

    That said, I need to chime in with my two cents on the history revisions underway....

    The numbers don't lie and after a stellar prep career, DM was a single digit scorer in three years in Troy. While I am willing to give him a 50% mulligan on these stats because of RPIs lack of scoring "syndrome" ...he sure as heck doesn't get a full pass!!

    Last season : 36-4-8-12. On a team starved for scoring he buried 4 pucks. FOUR. And that wasn't the worst of it. Far too often, the kid took large portions of shifts off, especially (almost always) when the puck left the rpi attacking zone. Disinterest, a complete lack of compete, i.e. "Being hard to play against " as the cliche goes is foreign to him. Opponents were given cringe worthy free skating zones on his side of the ice on rushes. He had less than zero interest in defensive responsibility. ZERO.

    Talk all you want about him playing this year "for his pro career". That's a joke. He'll never make it out of the E if doesn't get his mind right and decide to contribute to some semblance of team defense. The pros will eat him alive.

    I wish him good luck, but to blame his offensive drought COMPLETELY on the system or the coaches is a joke. Its mirror time for DM.

    Successful D1 forwards earn their opportunities and their points. They don't wait for them to land on the tape.
    I could almost agree with everything you said, except for the fact the besides Pirri and D'Amigo, not a single offensive minded recruit lived up to his potential in the Seth Appert era.
    JMO
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  4. #64
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,614
    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I could almost agree with everything you said, except for the fact the besides Pirri and D'Amigo, not a single offensive minded recruit lived up to his potential in the Seth Appert era.
    JMO
    Can't disagree and I acknowledged that factor - it can't be ignored. My only intent in the writing of history was to bring the needle back toward center, where I think it belongs. As I said these are thoughts in the player, not the kid. I wish him the best on Comm Ave this fall.
    Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 09-10-2017 at 10:24 AM.

  5. #65
    I'm an Implant Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North Shore of MA
    Posts
    1,400

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Interesting footnotes, when I think of players who were on a working vacation last year, Bourbonnais and Prapavessis come to mind, not Melanson. Interesting to see how he does in the crucible of BU. Quinn doesn't tolerate too much slacking, especially for his top 6.
    Class of '93

    16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

  6. #66
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I could almost agree with everything you said, except for the fact the besides Pirri and D'Amigo, not a single offensive minded recruit lived up to his potential in the Seth Appert era.
    JMO
    Did you expect more from Polacek than he produced? I didn't.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,588

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Did you expect more from Polacek than he produced? I didn't.
    Depends on “lived up to his potential”. I would say Chase went way over what was thought to be his potential.

  8. #68
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    Depends on “lived up to his potential”. I would say Chase went way over what was thought to be his potential.
    Well with that interpretation EHF could be correct. It's hard to exactly live up to your potential.

  9. #69
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    Depends on “lived up to his potential”. I would say Chase went way over what was thought to be his potential.
    He did more than that; the team was basically built around his play style for 11 years, despite him only being there for four.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  10. #70
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    In honor of Mike Prapavessis and Maria Raspa, today is 11 September 2017. There are 19 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,588

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Well with that interpretation EHF could be correct. It's hard to exactly live up to your potential.
    In the words of the late/great Ralph Kiner, “potential merely means you haven’t done it yet”.

  12. #72
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,170

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    In the words of the late/great Ralph Kiner, “potential merely means you haven’t done it yet”.
    Used to love all the malapropisms Kiner said while broadcasting NY Mets games. But i think my all time favorite was Something I believe Jerry Coleman said when a pitcher walked the bases full. He said "Looks like he is building a grave out there".
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,448

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Used to love all the malapropisms Kiner said while broadcasting NY Mets games. But i think my all time favorite was Something I believe Jerry Coleman said when a pitcher walked the bases full. He said "Looks like he is building a grave out there".
    Coleman's greatest quotes:
    “Winfield goes back to the wall, he hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It’s rolling all the way back to second base. This is a terrible thing for the Padres.”

  14. #74
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    In honor of Max Reisinger amd Makenna Thomas, today is 12 September 2017. There are 18 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dillsburg, PA
    Posts
    1,580

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Philadelphia Eagles' placekicker Caleb Sturgis injured his leg in the Eagles' opening game and may miss several games. The Eagles say they're bringing in some kickers to have a look at them.

    Sturgis used to be the Dolphins' placekicker before Andrew Franks beat him out for that job. I surely would not be surprised if Franks is one of those at whom the Eagles will be taking a long look.

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,588

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by Waite21 View Post
    Philadelphia Eagles' placekicker Caleb Sturgis injured his leg in the Eagles' opening game and may miss several games. The Eagles say they're bringing in some kickers to have a look at them.

    Sturgis used to be the Dolphins' placekicker before Andrew Franks beat him out for that job. I surely would not be surprised if Franks is one of those at whom the Eagles will be taking a long look.
    Eagles signed someone else earlier today. I don’t recall the name.

  17. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dillsburg, PA
    Posts
    1,580

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    Eagles signed someone else earlier today. I don’t recall the name.
    I had expected they would take more time to make a decision. There's a saying that you should never buy a used van from a kicker, because the guy has probably put a zillion miles on it driving from one tryout to another.

    I'm not sure Franks even had time to get his van (or whatever he drives) to Philadelphia before they signed their new guy.

    For the record, the guy they signed was Jake Elliott, who was drafted by the Bengals but failed to make that team.

  18. #78
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

    In honor of Todd Burgess and Lauren Severson, today is 13 September 2017. There are 17 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.

  19. #79
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream


  20. #80
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •