RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

I'm feelin' the need to add my footnotes to the DM post mortem...

First, as is required in today's climate, let me note that I have nothing against the kid and wish him all the best at BU--which I suspect will suit him, given the stacked roster.

That said, I need to chime in with my two cents on the history revisions underway....

The numbers don't lie and after a stellar prep career, DM was a single digit scorer in three years in Troy. While I am willing to give him a 50% mulligan on these stats because of RPIs lack of scoring "syndrome" ...he sure as heck doesn't get a full pass!!

Last season : 36-4-8-12. On a team starved for scoring he buried 4 pucks. FOUR. And that wasn't the worst of it. Far too often, the kid took large portions of shifts off, especially (almost always) when the puck left the rpi attacking zone. Disinterest, a complete lack of compete, i.e. "Being hard to play against " as the cliche goes is foreign to him. Opponents were given cringe worthy free skating zones on his side of the ice on rushes. He had less than zero interest in defensive responsibility. ZERO.

Talk all you want about him playing this year "for his pro career". That's a joke. He'll never make it out of the E if doesn't get his mind right and decide to contribute to some semblance of team defense. The pros will eat him alive.

I wish him good luck, but to blame his offensive drought COMPLETELY on the system or the coaches is a joke. Its mirror time for DM.

Successful D1 forwards earn their opportunities and their points. They don't wait for them to land on the tape.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

In honor of Billy Jerry and Amanda Kimmerle, today is 10 September 2017. There are 20 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.[/QUOTE]
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        I'm feelin' the need to add my footnotes to the DM post mortem...

First, as is required in today's climate, let me note that I have nothing against the kid and wish him all the best at BU--which I suspect will suit him, given the stacked roster.

That said, I need to chime in with my two cents on the history revisions underway....

The numbers don't lie and after a stellar prep career, DM was a single digit scorer in three years in Troy. While I am willing to give him a 50% mulligan on these stats because of RPIs lack of scoring "syndrome" ...he sure as heck doesn't get a full pass!!

Last season : 36-4-8-12. On a team starved for scoring he buried 4 pucks. FOUR. And that wasn't the worst of it. Far too often, the kid took large portions of shifts off, especially (almost always) when the puck left the rpi attacking zone. Disinterest, a complete lack of compete, i.e. "Being hard to play against " as the cliche goes is foreign to him. Opponents were given cringe worthy free skating zones on his side of the ice on rushes. He had less than zero interest in defensive responsibility. ZERO.

Talk all you want about him playing this year "for his pro career". That's a joke. He'll never make it out of the E if doesn't get his mind right and decide to contribute to some semblance of team defense. The pros will eat him alive.

I wish him good luck, but to blame his offensive drought COMPLETELY on the system or the coaches is a joke. Its mirror time for DM.

Successful D1 forwards earn their opportunities and their points. They don't wait for them to land on the tape.
        I could almost agree with everything you said, except for the fact the besides Pirri and D'Amigo, not a single offensive minded recruit lived up to his potential in the Seth Appert era.
        JMO
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          I could almost agree with everything you said, except for the fact the besides Pirri and D'Amigo, not a single offensive minded recruit lived up to his potential in the Seth Appert era.
          JMO
          Can't disagree and I acknowledged that factor - it can't be ignored. My only intent in the writing of history was to bring the needle back toward center, where I think it belongs. As I said these are thoughts in the player, not the kid. I wish him the best on Comm Ave this fall.
          Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 09-10-2017, 09:24 AM.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Interesting footnotes, when I think of players who were on a working vacation last year, Bourbonnais and Prapavessis come to mind, not Melanson. Interesting to see how he does in the crucible of BU. Quinn doesn't tolerate too much slacking, especially for his top 6.
            Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              JMO
              Did you expect more from Polacek than he produced? I didn't.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Did you expect more from Polacek than he produced? I didn't.
                Depends on “lived up to his potential”. I would say Chase went way over what was thought to be his potential.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  Depends on “lived up to his potential”. I would say Chase went way over what was thought to be his potential.
                  Well with that interpretation EHF could be correct. It's hard to exactly live up to your potential.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

He did more than that; the team was basically built around his play style for 11 years, despite him only being there for four.

Comment

In honor of Mike Prapavessis and Maria Raspa, today is 11 September 2017. There are 19 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Well with that interpretation EHF could be correct. It's hard to exactly live up to your potential.
                        In the words of the late/great Ralph Kiner, “potential merely means you haven’t done it yet”.
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

In the words of the late/great Ralph Kiner, “potential merely means you haven’t done it yet”.
                          Used to love all the malapropisms Kiner said while broadcasting NY Mets games. But i think my all time favorite was Something I believe Jerry Coleman said when a pitcher walked the bases full. He said "Looks like he is building a grave out there".
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Used to love all the malapropisms Kiner said while broadcasting NY Mets games. But i think my all time favorite was Something I believe Jerry Coleman said when a pitcher walked the bases full. He said "Looks like he is building a grave out there".
                            Coleman's greatest quotes:
                            “Winfield goes back to the wall, he hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It’s rolling all the way back to second base. This is a terrible thing for the Padres.”
                            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

In honor of Max Reisinger amd Makenna Thomas, today is 12 September 2017. There are 18 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Philadelphia Eagles' placekicker Caleb Sturgis injured his leg in the Eagles' opening game and may miss several games. The Eagles say they're bringing in some kickers to have a look at them.

Sturgis used to be the Dolphins' placekicker before Andrew Franks beat him out for that job. I surely would not be surprised if Franks is one of those at whom the Eagles will be taking a long look.

Comment

Working...
                                X