RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
    I don't think this has been posted here - hope I'm not repeating something you've all seen. Do you recognize the Good Samaritan who's the subject of this article?

http://uplift.theepochtimes.com/upli...tion-bill.html

Another example of what quality young men come out of the RPI hockey program. And he's still wearing his team duds!
    No surprise. Under Seth we always seemed dependent on the players to be self-motivating. When we had particularly strong senior captain like JFK or CJ Lee we had great years. Of course, strong goaltending helped in those seasons as well.

Comment

• Jared Wilson, Victor Liljegren, and Mike Prapavessis were named captains.

On the ice, Wilson will be wearing the “C” and Viktor and Praps will have the “A”’s according to today’s article in the TU.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
        Jared Wilson, Victor Liljegren, and Mike Prapavessis were named captains.

On the ice, Wilson will be wearing the “C” and Viktor and Praps will have the “A”’s according to today’s article in the TU.
        OK, phew. I was a little worried there'd be 3 straight captains, and with Harvard having 3 captains, was worried the C was starting to become a participation trophy.

Comment

http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/201...s-season-nears

I have expressed IMHO here that Shirley has no intentions of upgrading HFH. She does not have the $$$ to do so. You have had significant upgrades on that campus (ie Empac, Football field) and really minor upgrades at HFH. I feel bad for Dave because he has to go out and explain it. I'm happy that Viktor is a Captain. He's a great individual and a terrific rep for school.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
            Jared Wilson, Victor Liljegren, and Mike Prapavessis were named captains.

Actually the article says Wilson will wear the "C" and the others will serve as Assistants, but Doesn't state whether they will wear "A" s
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              Actually the article says Wilson will wear the "C" and the others will serve as Assistants, but Doesn't state whether they will wear "A" s
              I'm sure we'll see what they're wearing in about 52.5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
                I don't think this has been posted here - hope I'm not repeating something you've all seen. Do you recognize the Good Samaritan who's the subject of this article?

http://uplift.theepochtimes.com/upli...tion-bill.html

Another example of what quality young men come out of the RPI hockey program. And he's still wearing his team duds!
                That actually was Posted back when but for such an awesome story it deserves a re-post.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  That actually was Posted back when but for such an awesome story it deserves a re-post.
                  Did it ever make "Genuinely Nice Planet" over in the café?

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    I knew that it looked familiar, but I didn't recall if it had been posted here or cmmarkham had posted it on the RPI-sports list. I was too lazy to search for it.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

In honor of Linden Marshall, today is 29 September 2017. There is 1 day until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 09-30-2017, 01:27 AM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
                        I do have one small concern with Coach Smith's speech. He talked a lot, both at the season ticket party and in the quotes in the TU from him on Media Day, about how the process of becoming a better team is more important than winning. We all heard a lot of very similar remarks over the past few years - I just hope the process actually leads to something this time.
                        I have the opposite reaction. The previous guy promised the moon when he took over. It sounds like this coach is trying to set expectations according to the old business adage under promise and over perform. Works for me.

Comment

Supposedly a prediction of a top-four finish in the league, according to a quote of one of our players in the TU. I'm happy there's high hopes, but you have to be able to win more than 4 games each month to be able to do that. Have a favorable showing on at least the first 8 games, and then reconsideration will come as we head into the last 14 in 2018. No more of this "pick a month for a meltdown" stuff we had under the last dude.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                            I have the opposite reaction. The previous guy promised the moon when he took over. It sounds like this coach is trying to set expectations according to the old business adage under promise and over perform. Works for me.
                            I just hope that this coach can react to the talent on the team, and not be stuck on his idea of a process. We have had great players who went on to careers in the AHL and some (not enough) in the NHL, that were not allowed to show what they could do at RPI because of the coaches system.
                            We need structure, but we need to be able to show our talent within that structure. JMO
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              I just hope that this coach can react to the talent on the team, and not be stuck on his idea of a process. We have had great players who went on to careers in the AHL and some (not enough) in the NHL, that were not allowed to show what they could do at RPI because of the coaches system.
                              We need structure, but we need to be able to show our talent within that structure. JMO
                              Just a reminder that Smith is not a new coach and had a good degree of success - with limited resources - at Canisius. Point being, it's not his first rodeo --he understands how to teach/coach the game.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                There's always going to be some form of a basic strategy, or "process", as most boards will hire a head coach based on that inspiration. Are the fans going to want to see up-tempo, possession-based, left-wing-lock, something else, or any combination thereof? You are correct in that the process, though, needs to be an inflatable balloon, not a gelatin mold.

Comment

Working...
                                X