Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    It was Coughlin that scored off his own rebound, not O'Neil - O'Neil's goal was that beautiful bullet of a shot from the left wing.

I'll have some thoughts on the blog later.
    Nice post on your blog.

- Mitchell Smith is a very good hockey player (D1 level in my opinion)
    - Evers took the penalty after Perigo crushed Ace Cowans (which looked like a legit check from my seat). Cowans really impressed me last night. Fast skater who battles for the puck.
    Last edited by j24vt; 10-02-2017, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
      Nice post on your blog.

- Mitchell Smith is a very good hockey player (D1 level in my opinion)
      - Thomas took the penalty after Perigo crushed Ace Cowans (which looked like a legit check from my seat). Cowans really impressed me last night. Fast skater who battles for the puck.
      It was Evers that took the penalty - the only time Thomas spent in the box was serving the penalty to Lekkas. It did look like a clean hit originally though.
      https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
        They have used forwards on the point on the PP quite a bit in the past. Puskarich last year comes to mind. I think it came about because of a lack of offensive defense men.
        Sneddon has used this format from time to time quite a bit going back 5-6 seasons now. Usually, its to try and increase some PP production. It's always a bit of a gamble, but then UVM has never figured out how to run a power play anyways.

Glad to see the Cats come away with the win, but I still dread these games against the Canadian teams. It's been better recently and much of the thuggery seems to be gone, but I still dread these games. I'd rather see UVM play a Norwich or St Mikes team later in the season then the Canadian teams. I realize they want game time before the actual season starts, but it's not worth the risk and I think in some cases it gives them a false sense of where they are. You feel pretty good about the hockey being played because it's weak competition.

Regardless, lets hope everyone is firing on all cylinders and they can build on last year.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          Sneddon has used this format from time to time quite a bit going back 5-6 seasons now. Usually, its to try and increase some PP production. It's always a bit of a gamble, but then UVM has never figured out how to run a power play anyways.

Glad to see the Cats come away with the win, but I still dread these games against the Canadian teams. It's been better recently and much of the thuggery seems to be gone, but I still dread these games. I'd rather see UVM play a Norwich or St Mikes team later in the season then the Canadian teams. I realize they want game time before the actual season starts, but it's not worth the risk and I think in some cases it gives them a false sense of where they are. You feel pretty good about the hockey being played because it's weak competition.

Regardless, lets hope everyone is firing on all cylinders and they can build on last year.
          Yeah, I guess it's preseason for me too, I should've remembered point Puskarich lol

And yeah, I realize these preseason games are kinda risky. I think we all remember Kyle Reynolds's career-altering injury in one of these games. Luckily Waterloo came to actually play hockey rather than punch up. Feels like there were a lot less goonfests this year - maybe USports told them to behave themselves before coming down because there were 4 or 5 games last year that wouldn't look out of place at WrestleMania.

I disagree on the "giving them false sense of where they are," I think it's important to get some confidence flowing early.

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

So on to Colorado College......

From what I can tell from the preseason polls they aren't expected to be strong but we all know the polls can be wrong. Anyone have any real sense as to what we can expect from them?

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
              So on to Colorado College......

From what I can tell from the preseason polls they aren't expected to be strong but we all know the polls can be wrong. Anyone have any real sense as to what we can expect from them?
              They're not good. Their best defender left a year early to play in Finland and they return only one player that put up 15+ points

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                They're not good. Their best defender left a year early to play in Finland and they return only one player that put up 15+ points
                They're the Amherst of the NCHC, except they at least have history of playing the sport.
                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                  They're the Amherst of the NCHC, except they at least have history of playing the sport.
                  Oh man, that's harsh! Should you be talking that way about the Flagship?

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                    Oh man, that's harsh! Should you be talking that way about the Flagship?
                    You should hear what GT undergrads say about uga
                    BS UMass Lowell 2015
                    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                      You should hear what GT undergrads say about uga
                      Ha ha, my daughter just began her freshman year at UGA. Whatever they're saying, I'm sure it ain't pretty!

Comment

C'mon Friday!
                        Can't get here fast enough!
                        Hoping there is a higher quality stream this year and maybe a penalty clock chyron on the screen too.

Go Cats Go!

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                          C'mon Friday!

Go Cats Go!
                          Aye, I hear ya there. It's been a long week for me haha

Comment

What are people predicting / hoping for this weekend?

I'd like to think we will sweep, but given it is early season and my cautious nature i'm predicting a 5-2 win in game 1 followed by a 3-2 loss in game 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
                              What are people predicting / hoping for this weekend?

I'd like to think we will sweep, but given it is early season and my cautious nature i'm predicting a 5-2 win in game 1 followed by a 3-2 loss in game 2.
                              We SHOULD sweep. My expectation is at least a "three point" weekend.

Hopefully I didn't just jinx the everliving bajesus out of us

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                                C'mon Friday!
                                Hoping there is a higher quality stream this year and maybe a penalty clock chyron on the screen too.

Go Cats Go!
                                Regarding the stream, I watched about half the game Sunday and it seemed about the same to me. No penalty time on the screen and no replay. Still though, it's pretty darn good for free!

Comment

Working...
                                X