UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Division 1 coaches are expected to be brand ambassadors on and off the playing field. That’s part of why they’re compensated so well. Like it or not, Sneddon’s behavior in public is open to scrutinization because he represents the school. Extending this guy’s contract is absolutely baffling.

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
      Division 1 coaches are expected to be brand ambassadors on and off the playing field. That’s part of why they’re compensated so well. Like it or not, Sneddon’s behavior in public is open to scrutinization because he represents the school. Extending this guy’s contract is absolutely baffling.
      Understand your perspective and respect your opinion, but I disagree. What I'm hearing is nothing that has been reported publicly or has harmed the program in any broad sense that I'm aware of....in fact this is the first I've ever hear of any of this.

At any rate, he shouldn't have been renewed based on his results....I've yet to hear any real fan argue otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
        To say the timing of this news is disappointing is an understatement. As the article points out, if this was agreed upon in the summer why was it kept such a secret? Surely there would have not been such backlash as they are facing now had this been known back in June.
        I'm guessing their plan was to announce it when the deal was finalized, likely this spring/summer after the season was over. Now, however, with the season being a huge disappointment and fans actively calling for Sneddon's head (as Ted Ryan even acknowledged in his article), they probably felt they needed come out with it now to quell the uprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
          I fundamentally don't understand....or, more accurately, I do understand and don't like it.

As I've said many, many times, he's not a bad coach. I think he's done a lot for the program and he's had some success, and I appreciate his efforts. But the results have been inconsistent, the style of play is frustrating and not very exciting, and the current trend on wins/losses is decidedly negative. And as been often mentioned, players just don't seem to get better. Under his stewardship our program has a losing record. Basketball has had great success and I love what they've done, but along with skiing the hockey program is the ONE sport where we truly have the opportunity to be competitive on a national stage on a consistent basis. Giving Sneddon a new contract right now is accepting of the fact that what he's done is as good as we can expect to be, which I feel is a massive disservice to the university, it's students and all of us alums.

To me, this is an example of UVM deciding to be an average D1 hockey school instead of trying to be as good as we can be. I've always been frustrated at UVM that we seem to be unwilling to fire coaches who don't perform, instead generally waiting for contracts to expire. I get it, it's a financial thing. But his contract is (was) up. If you aren't going to go a different direction at the end of a contract with a coach who has a lifetime losing record and who's team is dramatically under performing versus expectations...when are you going to make a change?? It saddens me that we can't aspire to do better than this in our marquis sport.

Finally, I'd ask folks to avoid commentary on his personal life. In my opinion that is irrelevant and not cool.

Personally I will always support the Cats, and I really hope Coach Sneddon can right the ship and get us where we all want to be. But his track record is now quite long and strongly suggests that won't happen. I think this new contract is a huge mistake and a step backwards for the program at this time.

Go Cats.
          Very well said. This pretty closely sums up how I feel right now. I fear the hockey program is going to continue sinking into oblivion. Coaching and play on the ice aside, I was greatly disappointed when they decided to refurbish The Gut. While it will represent a temporary improvement, why does the basketball program get a beautiful NEW facility, while hockey basically gets The Gut 3.0? In another 20 years when the fresh paint has worn off, we'll be right back in the same spot again.

While I admire your ability to still say "Go Cats", I'm not there right now and am not sure I ever will be again. This one's gonna leave a mark and is a slap in the face to anyone who cares about UVM hockey. This move is "so UVM" and that is hugely disappointing.

Comment

This move is "so UVM" -----

Thanks, that is a much more succinct way of saying what I was trying to say....exactly how I feel. A school like Uconn, or BU, or BC would NEVER make a move like this. You are either dedicated to athletic success or you aren't. This move shows we aren't.

Comment

As if this wasn't enough bad news, Ryan Gunderson (UVM alumnus & US Olympic team member) broke his finger and might not be back in time for PyeongChang.
              https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
              https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
              NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
              Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Sneddon been that way off ice forever not sorry to bring it up but its been well known for years as far as Im concerned gloves off! Might as well know the true man here since he probably is going to be here until he decides to retire hes in a race with Gaudet at Dartmouth to see who can be the crappiest coach that continually keeps his job!
                Still trying to wrack my brain around the whole thing because like others say they knew they had a new deal but why not say anything after what was consdered to be a good season to buy the good faith? it smells of bad stuff when you have to say 'oh we had this done a long time ago' when the AD getting real heat from the fans for what is already a goner of a season! Typical UVM is right!
                Lost a 35+ year hockey supporter last night for good! more will follow because they just proved that they don't care well i wont either
                EMPTY THE GUTT!
                FIRE SNEDDON!
                FIRE SCHULMAN!

Comment

My biggest frustration is that Sneddon style hockey does not develop players. Grind, dump and chase, grind, grind, grind.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                    I'm guessing their plan was to announce it when the deal was finalized, likely this spring/summer after the season was over. Now, however, with the season being a huge disappointment and fans actively calling for Sneddon's head (as Ted Ryan even acknowledged in his article), they probably felt they needed come out with it now to quell the uprising.
                    If they agreed in principal in the summer, not sure why it takes six months to draw up a contract. Also, the three year deal includes this year, which he is under contract, so effectively he is getting a guaranteed contract for the next two years vs the year-to-year leverage UVM has in his current deal.

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                      My biggest frustration is that Sneddon style hockey does not develop players. Grind, dump and chase, grind, grind, grind.
                      The irony is I was looking through stuff when I wrote my freshmen preview piece for my blog and one of the guys (Frechette) literally said "I don't like to dump and chase." Even worse: modern hockey is drifting away from dump-and-chase and more towards controlled zone entries.

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                        The irony is I was looking through stuff when I wrote my freshmen preview piece for my blog and one of the guys (Frechette) literally said "I don't like to dump and chase." Even worse: modern hockey is drifting away from dump-and-chase and more towards controlled zone entries.
                        ...and dump and chase on the power play is inexcusable.

Comment

Paid $9.95 to watch tonight’s game. Pretty clear nobody wants to be out there right now. I feel really bad for these players.

Comment

3-0. One goal for each year of Sneddon's extension.

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                              3-0. One goal for each year of Sneddon's extension.
                              Wonder if Bowen spoke his mind? He looks like the type to not hold back...no way he’s not playing because ability level.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                                I do know that Schulman has read my blog before, and I wrote on Sneddon, so maybe that has something to do with it? I mean, that's as good a thought as any...

Comment

Working...
                                X