UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Sneddon seemed humbled in press appearances this week, maybe he’s seen the light and will let this team play. I have a good feeling about this weekend. 4-1 UVM, 4-2 UVM

Comment

Evers is back!! Colton and Bowen finally together on a line!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
        Matt Marshall was a very good player and with a little confidence and development from the coaches could have had a good career here. NHL scouts get kids wrong but there was a reason he was drafted. Just another forward that didn't develop at all here.
        Um... I'll just disagree.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I think fan's expectations are way too high. Entering this year, UVM's lifetime record, including the D2 glory days is exactly .500. We are under .500 since going to D1 in 1974. Sneddon's record is basically the same as Cross (D1) and Gilligan. We are the equivalent to a Mississippi State in Football, thinking we are an upper tier program, when we really are average. Bad facilities, no sure-fire recruiting base, makes it very tough to sustain a winning program year in and year out. I am not a big Sneddon fan, a lot of the players regress over time, and their on-ice system is baffling, but it's not like he is in a great situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by jfromvt View Post
            I think fan's expectations are way too high. Entering this year, UVM's lifetime record, including the D2 glory days is exactly .500. We are under .500 since going to D1 in 1974. Sneddon's record is basically the same as Cross (D1) and Gilligan. We are the equivalent to a Mississippi State in Football, thinking we are an upper tier program, when we really are average. Bad facilities, no sure-fire recruiting base, makes it very tough to sustain a winning program year in and year out. I am not a big Sneddon fan, a lot of the players regress over time, and their on-ice system is baffling, but it's not like he is in a great situation.
            I want the same level of overachievement as we get from the men’s basketball team.

Comment

Wow. Lousy game but decent results. We have a handful of good players. And they shined tonight.

Comment

Between the Revierderby last week and now this, my heart can't take any more comebacks...
                https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
                https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by gocats View Post
                  Wow. Lousy game but decent results. We have a handful of good players. And they shined tonight.
                  Agree we have a handful of good players; nice to see them get rewarded by clawing back and at least getting a tie.

Concerning points:
                  1.). Grossly outshot again tonight. While I haven’t ventured to the Gutt to watch a practice lately, I have to wonder what Sneddon is teaching? I mean how can a team with such talent be so far out of position all the time.
                  2.). Key Player Minuses grow. Captain continues the streak of minuses with a minus TWO tonight (there has to be more to this story -to have someone play this many games giving up a goal a game, and not being sat, Captain or not..raises an eyebrow).
                  3.) NO Colton, go goals. What’s gonna happen when Colton leaves early next year cause he’s tired of the Sneddon carousel of players and lack of development. This has me most worried.

The good...we got a tie!!! Let’s hope the gods look down on us tomorrow and give Colton another couple goals (and maybe get some of the minuses to sit a few shifts).

Comment

Maine sucks so don't take too much from it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Play$Maker View Post
                      Agree we have a handful of good players; nice to see them get rewarded by clawing back and at least getting a tie.

Concerning points:
                      1.). Grossly outshot again tonight. While I haven’t ventured to the Gutt to watch a practice lately, I have to wonder what Sneddon is teaching? I mean how can a team with such talent be so far out of position all the time.
                      2.). Key Player Minuses grow. Captain continues the streak of minuses with a minus TWO tonight (there has to be more to this story -to have someone play this many games giving up a goal a game, and not being sat, Captain or not..raises an eyebrow).
                      3.) NO Colton, go goals. What’s gonna happen when Colton leaves early next year cause he’s tired of the Sneddon carousel of players and lack of development. This has me most worried.

The good...we got a tie!!! Let’s hope the gods look down on us tomorrow and give Colton another couple goals (and maybe get some of the minuses to sit a few shifts).
                      Regarding shots, our strategy entering the game, as documented in the BFP, was to shoot a lot more. Hmmm, back to the drawing board on that I guess. I kinda miss the days when we outshot teams, outplayed them, and still managed to lose!

Agree regarding Colton. We're gonna be totally screwed when he leaves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play$Maker View Post

Concerning points:

The +/- stats might be just touch off. Colton was listed as a -2 last night. Lekkas as well...no Catamount was above even.

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                          The +/- stats might be just touch off. Colton was listed as a -2 last night. Lekkas as well...no Catamount was above even.
                          Both UVM goals were on the PP. He can really rip it.

I'm not sure why but it seems like there is never much excitement around Maine-UVM games. This in theory is a huge series for both teams and it seemed like the alfond was completely dead.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Both UVM goals were on the PP. He can really rip it.

I'm not sure why but it seems like there is never much excitement around Maine-UVM games. This in theory is a huge series for both teams and it seemed like the alfond was completely dead.
                            I admire your enthusiasm, but in what way is this a huge series for both teams?

Comment

Any bets on tonight’s game??? Saturday nights have been good for the Cats, so maybe we pull this one out.

I reviewed the final box score last night and then the season totals - amazing how bad “defensively” some of our good guys are!!! I guess it’s okay to not worry about your own zone when you have a goalie like Lekkas. That, or as I have said all along, the development on ice is so poor that what prior coaches taught these boys is now lost.

A tie doesn’t make things better - a win, might make some feel good, but the future still is reliant on Sneddon getting “moved out”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                                Pluses aren't given out for power play goals.
                                https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
                                https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                                NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                                Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Working...
                                X