UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Totally agree about the no pressure PK. Really dumb penalty for O'Neil to take near the end of the game though. No reason for it, up one goal and in the offensive zone. Oh well, I'll take the 3- point weekend though. Good job Cats!

Comment

3 points I will take it. Not to ***** too much but last night our power play was **** although we did get one goal and tonight our PK was **** completely collapsing and letting UNH do what they wanted. Unfortunately did not see the OT due to ESPN FAIL!!! Refs tonight were in Umile's pocket....Sad.

Comment

being a man of my word and not watching but yes it is nice to see they have gotten results kudos for that i will give props when deserve!
        But local media acting like this is some magic turnaround I wanna barf! especially that channel 5 guy - just a reminder still being in 8th place is NOT a celebration nor is the entire season based on all results! And looking ahead the schedule does not get softer!

Comment

UVM fans,
          Don't know if you saw it on TV, but your team showed real class when they all circled to shake Coach's hand near the end of the Umile tribute before the game - I appreciated it and so did other fans I spoke to. Good luck the rest of the way - we're going in opposite directions!

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB View Post
            UVM fans,
            Don't know if you saw it on TV, but your team showed real class when they all circled to shake Coach's hand near the end of the Umile tribute before the game - I appreciated it and so did other fans I spoke to. Good luck the rest of the way - we're going in opposite directions!
            Yes, I did see that and agree it was classy. I watched the whole Umile thing and thought it was very well done. He seemed genuinely touched! Thanks for your post and good luck to you guys the rest of the way too.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
              Seriously our D are just outside the blue paint on PK putting no pressure on UNH and they crash our net. W!F !
              I was yelling at the TV during that PK. My wife asked if UVM had scored and I said "No, they are about to give up a goal because the D is pretending they are goalies."

Comment

Funny, if you are talking about the game tying goal, I thought the exact opposite, but also was yelling at the screen. We were out so I was watching on the sly - didn't see replays so perhaps my account is inaccurate. After the called off goal, I saw UNH with low pressure and both our d at the goal line playing soft. Told my wife they were going to score. Cross crease pass, post to post save, of course the rebound goes to slot where there is no coverage. Can't play low AND give up that pass.

As far as so many posts here about shot blocking in recent games, I get it having coached so many years. AGREE 100% with all of you that it is not the best way to go forever. But surely everyone remembers the puck chasing in our d zone for the first few months and how bad that was as an optic and on the score board. I am not a Sneddon apologist, but more experienced d were not coming. The d zone over matched them - and our forwards. Saying "go block shots" is more than the end. It is a means to beware of shooting and passing lanes. It is a means stay under control and in position. It is a means to gain discipline in the zone.

Will that strategy consistently beat the top teams? Probably not. But think of the lower teams we lost to earlier in the season. At least now games are more controlled with some chance to win. We will see in the next two weekends. This year's team is this year's team. And I do not think the talent is out there to outplay better teams with skill as some here do. Not being disagreeable, just don't see it. Now that the boys are grinding, at least they have a chance most nights.

Looking forward, think of the strides our Sophomore d man has made this year. I am optimistic that next season will be less about basic positioning and more about moving the puck.
                Last edited by gocats; 02-12-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gocats View Post
                  Funny, if you are talking about the game tying goal, I thought the exact opposite, but also was yelling at the screen. We were out so I was watching on the sly - didn't see replays so perhaps my account is inaccurate. After the called off goal, I saw UNH with low pressure and both our d at the goal line playing soft. Told my wife they were going to score. Cross crease pass, post to post save, of course the rebound goes to slot where there is no coverage. Can't play low AND give up that pass.

As far as so many posts here about shot blocking in recent games, I get it having coached so many years. AGREE 100% with all of you that it is not the best way to go forever. But surely everyone remembers the puck chasing in our d zone for the first few months and how bad that was as an optic and on the score board. I am not a Sneddon apologist, but more experienced d were not coming. The d zone over matched them - and our forwards. Saying "go block shots" is more than the end. It is a means to beware of shooting and passing lanes. It is a means stay under control and in position. It is a means to gain discipline in the zone.

Will that strategy consistently beat the top teams? Probably not. But think of the lower teams we lost to earlier in the season. At least now games are more controlled with some chance to win. We will see in the next two weekends. This year's team is this year's team. And I do not think the talent is out there to outplay better teams with skill as some here do. Not being disagreeable, just don't see it. Now that the boys are grinding, at least they have a chance most nights.

Looking forward, think of the strides our Sophomore d man has made this year. I am optimistic that next season will be less about basic positioning and more about moving the puck.
                  I dissagree with every other thought expressed above.

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                    I dissagree with every other thought expressed above.
                    Odds or evens? At least we're half way there!

Comment

https://vtcynic.com/42456/sports/for...before-blades/

Player profile on Ross Colton that the Cynic ran this week.
                      https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                        https://vtcynic.com/42456/sports/for...before-blades/

Player profile on Ross Colton that the Cynic ran this week.
                        Interesting how he feels about his coach. That is an important aspect of coaching that goes unrecognized and many coaches don't have that relationship. It isn't all about hockey, it is about education, life lessons, and maturation.

Comment

BC doing UVM a solid last night, we now have two games in hand on UMass who is one point behind us for home ice and has the tiebreaker. If we can even grab 2 of our last 4 we should be safe.
                          https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                          https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                          NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                          Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                            BC doing UVM a solid last night, we now have two games in hand on UMass who is one point behind us for home ice and has the tiebreaker. If we can even grab 2 of our last 4 we should be safe.
                            Given the competition, I'm thinking 3 out of 8 points in our last 4 games would be amazing!

Comment

Not thrilled about buying tickets for a home 'playoff' series if the team is below .500

Comment

Decent game overall. Not much to complain about and a lot of good play. Much better zone time play than the UNH game. A few mistakes and a lot of missed opportunities but good game overall. Where was this team all season? It must be that Sneddon is not changing the lines every game. Our announcers are great but I wish they were a bit more of homers.......:--)

Comment

Working...
                                X