UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Didn't check this morning to see if the scoring has changed, but three of the goals deflected in and given to the Maine shooter. So, my eye and the scorer evidently believes in off UVM players or sticks. We do have a good shot blocking team. Sometimes that's just how it goes. We don't have that kind of margin for error - even against a lower third Main team - no offense Walrus.

I believe coach is feeling the pressure - of course he is. Is starting to talk about what they work on in practice. Is talking about shots on net and d zone coverage. Play on ice does not look it. But as clear as his message is in the actual interviews with media, certainly it must be in practice. Tough run so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
      Sneddon needs to go before Lekkas leaves because he's sick of getting hung out to dry.
      I can think of one or two local coaches with trophy cases full who would be a great fit at UVM. One was even a 4 year star player.

Comment

Originally posted by gocats View Post
        - even against a lower third Main team - no offense Walrus.
        No offense Maine isn't good but that should make UVM fans feel worse.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
          I can think of one or two local coaches with trophy cases full who would be a great fit at UVM. One was even a 4 year star player.
          Just to throw it out there but this is the first year with pure Wallack recruits and it shows.
          For those that threw Gasparini and micheletto under the bus’s, at least they recruited better players. The common denominator is Sneddon. He does not alow players to play. Cramps them into d only role players then blames everything on them and cycles in the next group of suckers to his empty promises. Now it’s a critical time for this program because if I were an NHL potential player I would be very concerned about commiting here based on what has happened.

Comment

#FireSneddon

Comment

• Originally posted by FireSneddon View Post
              #FireSneddon
              Nothing against the guy, but yes. Assuming (far-fetched) he’s not the problem...he’s most definitely not the solution. He doesn’t seem to fundamentally understand the game. Let’s start naming potential replacements! Go.

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                Nothing against the guy, but yes. Assuming (far-fetched) he’s not the problem...he’s most definitely not the solution. He doesn’t seem to fundamentally understand the game. Let’s start naming potential replacements! Go.
                Dominique Ducharme would be hella expensive, but he's proven he can develop players (Drouin was nothing before the 2012-13 season under him) and win games. He's also an alumnus.
                https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
                https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                  Dominique Ducharme would be hella expensive, but he's proven he can develop players (Drouin was nothing before the 2012-13 season under him) and win games. He's also an alumnus.
                  http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=167270 UVM hockey star, first native VTer selected in NHL draft (#50), decades of head coaching success at BFA St. Albans. His teams consistently win.

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=167270 UVM hockey star, first native VTer selected in NHL draft (#50), decades of head coaching success at BFA St. Albans. His teams consistently win.
                    If we're including HS coaches, I'll throw Tim Fingerhut in the ring. His St. Augustine's Prep team in 2006-07 had the first perfect season in New Jersey hockey history. (And are being inducted into the NJ HHOF next year)

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                      If we're including HS coaches, I'll throw Tim Fingerhut in the ring. His St. Augustine's Prep team in 2006-07 had the first perfect season in New Jersey hockey history. (And are being inducted into the NJ HHOF next year)
                      I’m still voting for Toby Ducolon, but game on!!

Comment

My daily day dream: I remember worshipping John LeClair when he played for the Cats, loved Montreal when I was still very young, and became a Flyers fan when he was traded. I've loved 'em ever since. The Flyers as of two days ago lost 10 straight games. Their coach, Dave Hakstol is a terrible NHL coach who regularly looks way out of his depth ... but as a college coach, he is great. He went 289–141–43 at North Dakota, bringing them 7 times to the frozen four. If the Flyers keep losing (and they are just terrible this year) he maybe out of a job. If the UVM athletic director was smart, he would get in touch and see if Hakstol found Vermont to be beautiful this time of the year.
                        Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                        National Champions 1992, 2001
                        21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                        National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                        Future National Champions 201?

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                          the kid on the Avalance too. he would be worth the call though even if he says no have to try i think. Hes probably not ready but Brady Liesnring is an assistant in the ECHL right now and Andrew Allen is a goalie coach with the Sabres but probably likes that job. the Hakstol one is a nice dream scenario but probably not likely though like you said a lot of things like losing his job would have to go his way!
                          How about these names just in a semi informed thinking in no order of preference for people to debate!
                          Bob Emery - Plattsburgh St - probably lifer there but we know he can coach how would he do with big boys
                          Mike McShane - norwich - same as Emery unlikely but in term of coaching guy is great but why leave the best job in D3?
                          Dean Blais - old Omaha and North Dakota coach - maybe hes retired I'm not really sure but worth a call!
                          George Gwozdecky - old Denver coach - left to coach in NHL for a bit but a proven winner
                          Ron Rolston - he the ex Sabres head coach and is volunteer asst at Providence this year also going to be an Olympic coach and was the USA development coach for a long time great pedigree
                          Mark Carlson - top USHL coach
                          Cam Ellsworth - Lowell asst they do something right he might be part of it
                          Jason Lammers - was with Lowell now Niagara HC and they are doing well same as Ellsworth
                          Greg Brown - BC assistant who knows how good he is but seems like he's realistic given Cavenaugh at Uconn
                          Chris Bergeron - Bowling green head coach does well there for not a big program
                          Mike Hastings - Mankato same as bergeron has made that team pretty good with wins

What do people think? I did a lot of googling on this one Schulman can thank me later!

Comment

Does anyone have any inside info or knowledge of what the athletic dept is thinking? This has to be a very serious conversation and not just something the boards are talking about, the program has failed to grow and stay competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
                              the kid on the Avalance too. he would be worth the call though even if he says no have to try i think. Hes probably not ready but Brady Liesnring is an assistant in the ECHL right now and Andrew Allen is a goalie coach with the Sabres but probably likes that job. the Hakstol one is a nice dream scenario but probably not likely though like you said a lot of things like losing his job would have to go his way!
                              How about these names just in a semi informed thinking in no order of preference for people to debate!
                              Bob Emery - Plattsburgh St - probably lifer there but we know he can coach how would he do with big boys
                              Mike McShane - norwich - same as Emery unlikely but in term of coaching guy is great but why leave the best job in D3?
                              Dean Blais - old Omaha and North Dakota coach - maybe hes retired I'm not really sure but worth a call!
                              George Gwozdecky - old Denver coach - left to coach in NHL for a bit but a proven winner
                              Ron Rolston - he the ex Sabres head coach and is volunteer asst at Providence this year also going to be an Olympic coach and was the USA development coach for a long time great pedigree
                              Mark Carlson - top USHL coach
                              Cam Ellsworth - Lowell asst they do something right he might be part of it
                              Jason Lammers - was with Lowell now Niagara HC and they are doing well same as Ellsworth
                              Greg Brown - BC assistant who knows how good he is but seems like he's realistic given Cavenaugh at Uconn
                              Chris Bergeron - Bowling green head coach does well there for not a big program
                              Mike Hastings - Mankato same as bergeron has made that team pretty good with wins

What do people think? I did a lot of googling on this one Schulman can thank me later!
                              Yeah but MacKinnon was a known commodity before he went to Halifax (supertalented kid from Cole Harbour drew obvious Crosby comparisons). I call out the example of Drouin because he was not on anyone's radar in fall 2012, and was seen as a fringe first rounder at the start of 2013, then wound up being a top 3 pick. Not to mention Ducharme won the Memorial Cup that year, and has a chance at taking home the World Juniors this year.

I think Blais is definitely out of the question. Ditto Hastings who I believe Omaha was looking at but there were rumors he was going to sign a 10 year extension or something absurd like that.

Lammers isn't going to leave Niagara after 1 year.

Gwozdecky is probably unrealistic.

Brown and Ellsworth are interesting because they have no HC experience. Ellsworth's name came up in a couple coaching searches this summer, IIRC.

Don't know much about Rolston, though IIRC there were rumors Michigan Tech was looking at him.

Agree re: Emery/McShane.

Bergeron...BGSU actually feels quite similar to UVM over the last 3-4 years - a team that's constantly close to the tournament but doesn't make it. I think in 2015 they were like .0005 RPI points away from the last at-large :O

That being said, I think all of them would represent an upgrade. Sneddon's a nice guy, and he has had some success here. But sometimes you need culture change.
                              Last edited by TovarishchLisa; 12-07-2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FireSneddon View Post
                                Does anyone have any inside info or knowledge of what the athletic dept is thinking? This has to be a very serious conversation and not just something the boards are talking about, the program has failed to grow and stay competitive.
                                I gotta believe they're having this conversation, as it'd be dereliction of duty not to. Whether that means not exercising the option on Sneddon's contract for next year, I doubt it. As someone said (Lisa I think), they'll give him another year to try to straighten things out. If he can't, I can maybe see them not exercising the option for 2019-20.

Comment

Working...
                                X