Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    What's worse is it doesn't even compare to 10-15 years ago. I mean St. Louis / Perrin et al. were a once in a lifetime duo to come through and things were rocking as one would expect, but even the Strong / Lenes teams had the Gutt wild. But it has just been a steady decline through much of Sneddon's tenure. And the ticket sales are probably the most telling... I signed up as a student for season tickets, at the time it was estimated at 8 years. But it's free to get on the wait list so great. Sometime 5-6 years later I was finally called. Now, you can buy them today if you wanted. The product isn't worth the costs anymore to people. Even more... UVM had a 70+ game sold out streak going at one point and that only ended because of a Sunday game when the Pats were in the mix for a Super Bowl. Now I'd be surprised to muster a 10 game sold out streak.

It would be one thing if there just wasn't any talent on the team, but that's not the case. This is on the coaching staff. It's time for Sneddon to go.
    I think more than anything UVM needs a culture change. Since Sneddon's last extension, we've gone 38-44-8, had a hazing scandal, and lost quite a few players to transfers or cuts (off the top of my head: Stenerson, Daigle, Lee, Kearley, Irwin, Ferguson, Klein, Munson...Abramson, I guess too? even though it seems he's pursuing a career outside hockey). That to me makes it smell like there's something up. I get that overrecruitment at UVM is an issue that people have talked about to death, and not every transfer is hockey-related, but still.

And honestly I hate talking bad on Sneddon, from interacting with him as media he's a genuinely nice guy. But this program seems to be stuck in neutral as a number of programs in Hockey East move forward (Northeastern comes to mind, hell even UMass is showing a pulse). The only coaches that have been around longer than him in HE are York and Umile, and both of those guys have won quite a few trophies, whether national or conference.

I think the likeliest scenario is Schulman gives him the first option year, but doesn't give him the second if there's not significant improvement. He has shown that he is willing to go outside the university to replace head coaches if he feels that's the right move, and I do think it's important to get a new culture in.

Anywho, there's a game tonight down at Dartmouth...I'd be lying if I said I didn't completely forget. Been too focused on the women's hockey and basketball tournaments at UVM this weekend
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

57th/60 in pairwise

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
        57th/60 in pairwise
        UVM was 12th this time last year.

No comment

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Game is on ESPN3 tonight

Comment

• Originally posted by j24vt View Post
            Game is on ESPN3 tonight
            Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably tune in for a bit. I'll predict a 3-1 Dartmouth win.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
              Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably tune in for a bit. I'll predict a 3-1 Dartmouth win.
              Depressing thought. 6th best recruiting class in college hockey and 57/60 in pairwise. Maybe I’ll go read the St. Lawrence thread for some “at least were not them” mojo.

Comment

• Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                Depressing thought. 6th best recruiting class in college hockey and 57/60 in pairwise. Maybe I’ll go read the St. Lawrence thread for some “at least were not them” mojo.
                *We’re

Comment

• UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                  I think more than anything UVM needs a culture change. Since Sneddon's last extension, we've gone 38-44-8, had a hazing scandal, and lost quite a few players to transfers or cuts (off the top of my head: Stenerson, Daigle, Lee, Kearley, Irwin, Ferguson, Klein, Munson...Abramson, I guess too? even though it seems he's pursuing a career outside hockey). That to me makes it smell like there's something up. I get that overrecruitment at UVM is an issue that people have talked about to death, and not every transfer is hockey-related, but still.

And honestly I hate talking bad on Sneddon, from interacting with him as media he's a genuinely nice guy. But this program seems to be stuck in neutral as a number of programs in Hockey East move forward (Northeastern comes to mind, hell even UMass is showing a pulse). The only coaches that have been around longer than him in HE are York and Umile, and both of those guys have won quite a few trophies, whether national or conference.

I think the likeliest scenario is Schulman gives him the first option year, but doesn't give him the second if there's not significant improvement. He has shown that he is willing to go outside the university to replace head coaches if he feels that's the right move, and I do think it's important to get a new culture in.

Anywho, there's a game tonight down at Dartmouth...I'd be lying if I said I didn't completely forget. Been too focused on the women's hockey and basketball tournaments at UVM this weekend
                  I would prefer to keep it too the stats - as I really think that is where the underlying story is at - and quite frankly supports the direction that Sneddon MUST GO.

However a point I overlooked that you raise is the number of top players that have been shuffled out the door - while under scholarship. Of greater concern, that seems to be something that as a new recruit you would consider before accepting anything with this coaching staff (which I would think will ultimately continue to drag the program down).

Losing players Stenerson, Irwin, Abramson, as well as the others raises a question of some ethics. If I recall, Stenerson was one of our top leading scorers - then the next year, he’s gone??

Does anyone know more of the facts on these guys leaving??? Were they just dusted to the side? Were scholarships forfeited? NCAA governs this I would assume, but there seems to be some very questionable ethics under Sneddon (clearly the hazing incident). Wonder if he did the same at Union? Schulman needs to step in soon.

Sneddon must go - back to the stats though. Let’s see what more we can draw on after the game tonight.
                  Last edited by Play$Maker; 11-25-2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

David Pecan was another, although I think his departure was for some sort of violation of team rules. And, of course, let's not forget Wahs Stacey just up and quitting during his senior season. I believe he was the team's leading scorer that season when he quit.

Comment

Also, Sebastian Stalberg left early, which was surprising since he was a marginal pro prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                        David Pecan was another, although I think his departure was for some sort of violation of team rules. And, of course, let's not forget Wahs Stacey just up and quitting during his senior season. I believe he was the team's leading scorer that season when he quit.
                        I was trying to keep it since the last contract extension Sneddon got which was after the 2014-15 season. But yeah it seems to be a problem.

Comment

This is seriously embarrassing. This looks like pond hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                            This is seriously embarrassing. This looks like pond hockey.
                            I'm watching the women's game instead.

Comment

Alex Esposito is a baller.

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                                Alex Esposito is a baller.
                                Hard worker too! Since we’re still switching lines...Bowen, Colton, Esposito. Why not!?

Comment

Working...
                                X