Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    I've noticed that, generally and relatively speaking, the OSU stalwarts have been ominously quiet recently, especially on other threads while their team has had it's best start in years.

Kinda reminds me of the UMD PP (Possum Play) from the last two years when the 'Dogs were cruising under everyone's radar, accumulating wins/points before others realized they were the real deal. It worked for them.

Could this be a collective OSU supporter strategy?...don't mention the success until it's glaring at everyone in the standings and everyone else can't help talking about it? Sort of not wanting to jinx the moment? Let the cat find its own way out of the bag?

If it is, it looks like it's working.

Keep up the good work.
    If anyone missed UMDs success early they were not paying attention. They had their best team in years under the best coach they ever had. OSU has the same conditions this year and will demand attention. They certainly are not going to come as a surprise to the other teams in the WCHA.

Comment

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Setting an all-time record for 3 Stars Tardiness, I just posted some "Starlit Reflections" of the OSU/UMD series -- played a week ago. See the WCHA thread.

Back to the Present: The USCHO Scoreboard reports that the Buckeyes have completed a 4-0 Road Victory over St. Cloud in today's series opener.

Comment

Pgb, you must be really busy these days, but when it comes to your 3 Stars of the Game, I say better late than never. Aside from going to the games and supporting the girls, getting home and reading your 3 Stars is one of the highlights of a home weekend for OSU Women's Hockey!

As Pgb alluded to, the Buckeyes kept their win streak going with a 4-0 victory on the road at St. Cloud State. Four different players scored for the Buckeyes ... all forwards ... Emma Maltais, Maddy Field, Rebecca Freiburger, and Lauren Spring. The Buckeyes outshot the Huskies in this one 48-26. Buckeye backstop Kassidy Sauve stopped all 26 shots she faced and St. Cloud's Janine Alder earned 44 saves for the Huskies. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:37 pm EST.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          Pgb, you must be really busy these days, but when it comes to your 3 Stars of the Game, I say better late than never. Aside from going to the games and supporting the girls, getting home and reading your 3 Stars is one of the highlights of a home weekend for OSU Women's Hockey!
          Appreciate the kind words. I enjoy doing the write-ups; it's good to know they're still read -- even when tardy.

Be assured that life is good; or at least mostly good. Fall is always busy. But there are currently some additional demands on my time that are unique to this year. I rather liked Blackbeard's theory that we were laying low and playing mind games with the rest of league. But the truth is much more mundane.

With the OSU/UMD installment, it just got so darn late that I decided to launch this weekend with the post.

Comment

The Buckeyes completed the sweep today by an identical score of 4-0 (also won Friday's game 4-0). The shots on goal were closer today with Ohio State outshooting the Huskies 31-26. Buckeye netminder Kassidy Sauve stopped all 26 shots she faced. Her counterpart, St. Cloud's Emma Polusny, saved 27 of the 31 shots she faced for the Huskies. The Ohio State goals were scored by Emma Maltais, Maddy Field, and Julianna Iafallo (2). The 7-0-1 Buckeyes are off to the best start in program history. The Bucks have a bye next weekend, then will travel to Madison for a big matchup with the #1 Badgers on 11/4-11/5. The Huskies will travel to Minnesota State to take on the Mavericks next weekend.
            Last edited by osualum86; 10-22-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

You better buy your tickets for Sunday in you are coming, Saturday is sold out already for the upcoming UW series.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                You better buy your tickets for Sunday in you are coming, Saturday is sold out already for the upcoming UW series.
                Timothy, with the teams ranked where they are, I actually bought tickets early this time around and I am sure glad I did. Cannot wait to get up there. Should be a great atmosphere. See you Saturday.

Comment

Anyone know if Zarzecki was injured, sick or a healthy scratch recently? I see she's missed a couple games this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                    Anyone know if Zarzecki was injured, sick or a healthy scratch recently? I see she's missed a couple games this year.
                    Grace did play today so she is not hurt or anything. As for today's game, the most common phrase after the game, by both teams' fans for that matter, was "I didn't expect that." Wisconsin got off to a fast start today and never looked back in beating the Buckeyes 7-0. The Badgers scored three first-period goals to jump out to a 3-0 lead. The second period was a 0-0 stalemate, then Wisconsin tacked on four more goals in the third period to win it 7-0. With two undefeated and top-five ranked teams playing, most expected a much tighter game. That was not the case today as Wisconsin put up a touchdown and used a suffocating defense to keep the Buckeyes off the scoreboard all game. The shots on goal were lopsided with the Badgers outshooting the Buckeyes 42-14. Wisconsin's Kristen Campbell stopped all 14 shots she faced. Kassidy Sauve saved 35 of the 42 shots she faced. The Badger goals were scored by Presley Norby, Sam Cogan, Maddie Rowe, Alexis Mauermann (2), Abby Roque, and Baylee Wellhausen. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 12:00 pm CST.

Comment

Hope you're having a good trip, despite the Saturday disappointment.

Sounds like we weren't quite ready for the big stage in Game 1. Fortunately we have three more regular season games scheduled against the Badgers, including the one coming up in a few hours.

Have fun this afternoon; Go Bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                        Grace did play today so she is not hurt or anything. As for today's game, the most common phrase after the game, by both teams' fans for that matter, was "I didn't expect that." Wisconsin got off to a fast start today and never looked back in beating the Buckeyes 7-0. The Badgers scored three first-period goals to jump out to a 3-0 lead. The second period was a 0-0 stalemate, then Wisconsin tacked on four more goals in the third period to win it 7-0. With two undefeated and top-five ranked teams playing, most expected a much tighter game. That was not the case today as Wisconsin put up a touchdown and used a suffocating defense to keep the Buckeyes off the scoreboard all game. The shots on goal were lopsided with the Badgers outshooting the Buckeyes 42-14. Wisconsin's Kristen Campbell stopped all 14 shots she faced. Kassidy Sauve saved 35 of the 42 shots she faced. The Badger goals were scored by Presley Norby, Sam Cogan, Maddie Rowe, Alexis Mauermann (2), Abby Roque, and Baylee Wellhausen. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 12:00 pm CST.
                        Great to chat with you before the game Saturday. We all were hoping for a top flight highly competitive series. I know you had high hopes and it was sad to see the team play so badly Saturday. It sure seemed like UW was taking advantage of Sauve going down and they were shooting for the roof. Today's game it seemed like she was staying up a lot more. Has she been exposed this way in the past? Today's game was a much better performance by OSU, though they allowed more shots today, they were playing with a lot more speed and tenacity. I think OSU is still a few more great recruiting classes away from being able to more evenly compete with UW, but they seem to be on the right track with this freshmen class performing really well. Hope you had a safe and fun trip, God willing we'll shake hands next year again.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

It is a process, team is being lead by Freshmen with solid contributions from upper classmen. This weekend was a learning experience as Ohio State as never has this team been ranked this high and first time they have ever played for Division lead. They rebounded nicely today and will be better the next time. I am sure Coach Nadine is very pleased with the progress this team has made in just over a year. I really believe this team will have one of the best seasons ever and no one should be discouraged by the results from this past weekend. Go Bucks Go !

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Great to chat with you before the game Saturday. We all were hoping for a top flight highly competitive series. I know you had high hopes and it was sad to see the team play so badly Saturday. It sure seemed like UW was taking advantage of Sauve going down and they were shooting for the roof. Today's game it seemed like she was staying up a lot more. Has she been exposed this way in the past? Today's game was a much better performance by OSU, though they allowed more shots today, they were playing with a lot more speed and tenacity. I think OSU is still a few more great recruiting classes away from being able to more evenly compete with UW, but they seem to be on the right track with this freshmen class performing really well. Hope you had a safe and fun trip, God willing we'll shake hands next year again.
                            Timothy, it was great to see you and talk to you, too! Yesterday's game was more of what I expected and it was nice to see us play better. I am not sure about Kassidy being exposed that way in the past. I think her and the whole team just had a clunker of a game Saturday, for whatever reason. I do agree with you wholeheartedly that we are a couple more recruiting classes away from being as deep as the Badgers and I think that was evident this weekend as Coach Nadine shortened the bench and our kids were pretty tired in the end. I do think we are on the right track and am enjoying the process, despite the weekend results in Madison. We had a great time up there and eventually made it home safe. God willing, we will see you again next season!!
                            Last edited by osualum86; 11-06-2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFan View Post
                              It is a process, team is being lead by Freshmen with solid contributions from upper classmen. This weekend was a learning experience as Ohio State as never has this team been ranked this high and first time they have ever played for Division lead. They rebounded nicely today and will be better the next time. I am sure Coach Nadine is very pleased with the progress this team has made in just over a year. I really believe this team will have one of the best seasons ever and no one should be discouraged by the results from this past weekend. Go Bucks Go !
                              Totally agree with you on this. We made the trip to Madison, and although I was hoping to see us get some points up there, I was pleased with the way we fought back yesterday after Saturday's game. I think Coach Nadine and her staff are doing a great job, and I would never claim to be a hockey expert, but IMHO, I think this program is ahead of schedule when it comes to the building process. They have a great shot at finishing the regular season in 2nd place in the WCHA which would be a great step forward for this program. I know the girls were disappointed in their performance Saturday and that is not a bad thing, but they played much better in Sunday's game and did have some great scoring chances. If they could have finished a couple of those, it would have made Sunday's game that much more interesting. I have to agree with Timothy and others I spoke with over the weekend who say we do need a couple more recruiting classes/depth to really challenge teams like Wisconsin who roll four lines out there and they can all play and score. I love our team, though, and they will get there. Just going to take a couple more recruiting classes.

As for yesterday's game, once again, the Bucks had trouble getting their offense going as they were outshot 50-22. Buckeye goaltender Kassidy Sauve stopped 47 of the 50 shots she faced. Wisconsin's Kristen Campbell stopped 21 of the 22 shots she faced. The Badger goals came from Mikaela Gardner, Alexis Mauermann, and Claudia Kepler. Tatum Skaggs scored the Ohio State goal. Ohio State will host Minnesota State next weekend. Wisconsin will travel to Ithaca, NY, to face Cornell in a big non-league top-ten showdown.
                              Last edited by osualum86; 11-06-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Hope you're having a good trip, despite the Saturday disappointment.

Sounds like we weren't quite ready for the big stage in Game 1. Fortunately we have three more regular season games scheduled against the Badgers, including the one coming up in a few hours.

Have fun this afternoon; Go Bucks!
                                Pgb, Sunday's game was much more indicative of where our program is at. Wisconsin won the game 3-1, but it was scoreless after one. The difference in the game was Wisconsin outscoring the Bucks 2-0 in the second period. The third period was a 1-1 tie. We are not at Wisconsin's level yet, but we are getting closer. I think everyone realized, us Buckeye fans and the Wisconsin fans as well, that we were way better than what we showed in Saturday's game. I cannot wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink in a few days for this weekend's series vs Minnesota State.

Comment

Working...
                                X