Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by BigFan View Post
    I do agree with previous posters than Handrahan sure built a strong base. Let’s await judgement to see how this team competes in a few years when Muzzeralls commits start coming in.

Handrahan may have been a good recruiter, not so sure he knew what to do with the talent when he got it..........much like the Edmonton Oilers, can have a lot of # 1 picks but it knowing how to coach and develop is the key to winning. Kudos to Muzerall who has been able to take program to new heights in 2 very short years. I suspect now that Ohio has developed a winning culture with a number of key pieces to build around, more top end players will be signing on at " The Ohio State" !
    It usually takes six or seven seasons to coach your own team. Handrahan was the head coach for four seasons, was gone three seasons ago, but he had freshman recruits this year according to the posters here.

If Muzerall recruited a great group of sophomores last year in her first season coaching (high school class of 2020), her first class of recruits will be seniors in the 2023-2024 season.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFan View Post
      I do agree with previous posters than Handrahan sure built a strong base. Let’s await judgement to see how this team competes in a few years when Muzzeralls commits start coming in.

Handrahan may have been a good recruiter, not so sure he knew what to do with the talent when he got it..........much like the Edmonton Oilers, can have a lot of # 1 picks but it knowing how to coach and develop is the key to winning. Kudos to Muzerall who has been able to take program to new heights in 2 very short years. I suspect now that Ohio has developed a winning culture with a number of key pieces to build around, more top end players will be signing on at " The Ohio State" !
      My complaint with Handrahan's teams was that they were trying to injure opponents. It may have only been a couple of players & would have passed when they did or it may have been a 'feature' as it was with UND & there were always more thugs coming in. Since he left & UND folded I am only aware of an occasional cheapshot and that is good. When the sludge came out about him I made the assumption that nasty was what he developed, that may have been unfair but I will probably never know. Win or lose I want to do it with the best players on the ice & not because someone has been crippled and no longer playing. I am assuming OSU will be a threat to win it all a lot in the future but it will take a few years to see what Muzzy can do.

Comment

Home playoffs AND Frozen Four. Enjoy. OSU86 please get some rest before driving home tomorrow!

Comment

Congratulations to tOSU on the Frozen Four berth! Hopefully these girls will lead the way and establish another good women's program.
          Clarkson Golden Knights Men
          10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
          5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
          21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
          ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
          ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
          7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
          National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
              Home playoffs AND Frozen Four. Enjoy. OSU86 please get some rest before driving home tomorrow!
              Lindsay, thank you! Relaxing in the room now! Definitely going to get some sleep before departing tomorrow! I have now been up for 36 hours, aside from the hour-long nap I took on the way up here this morning (yesterday morning).

Comment

I could not be prouder of this coaching staff and this group of girls! They came up here on a mission and were the better team for a vast majority of today's game! Credit Boston College for making a big push in the third period, but this game belonged to Ohio State. Kassidy Sauve was brilliant in net today. As Mrs 86 once said on twitter ... "Kassidy did Kassidy things!" I would also like to give some props to Boston College netminder Katie Burt. She made some big saves in the first two periods and kept the game from getting out of hand. The Buckeyes outshot the Eagles 41-38. It was actually 32-15 Buckeyes through the first two periods before BC made their push in the third period, out-shooting the Bucks 23-9 to make the final count 41-38. Katie Burt stopped 39 of the 41 shots she faced and Kassidy Sauve stopped all 38 Boston College shots. The Buckeye goals were scored by Lauren Boyle on a second period power play. Maddy Field scored an even-strength goal in the third period. The Buckeyes advance to the Frozen Four and will take on Clarkson Friday in one semi-final. Wisconsin will take on Colgate in the other semi-final with the winners meeting Sunday for the National Title.

Comment

Excellenty article on Coach Muzerall from the New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/s...ction%2Fsports

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                    Excellenty article on Coach Muzerall from the New York Times
                    Especially liked this quote: “But now being that I’m a mom, you have that tough love where I’m going to love you and take care of you and be loyal, but maybe I have to whip your butt a little bit from time to time.”
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Especially liked this quote: “But now being that I’m a mom, you have that tough love where I’m going to love you and take care of you and be loyal, but maybe I have to whip your butt a little bit from time to time.”
                      Yes! Watching from afar, it is hard not to like Muzerall. Same thing about Elander.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        Yes! Watching from afar, it is hard not to like Muzerall. Same thing about Elander.
                        Elander was a heck of a pickup.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I am really proud of my team! They deserved a better fate. I am still heartbroken for them. They will be back, though! The future is bright for this program!

Comment

Well, the 2017-18 College Hockey Season is now in the books. For both genders. As we leave the college season behind & move into the NHL Playoffs, it's worth reflecting for a moment on an important Buckeye accomplishment: Both OSU Hockey Teams made it to the Frozen Four.

Frozen Doubles

Both teams in the Frozen Four. It's an achievement to be long remembered and cherished. Obviously it's a Buckeye first. And yet, while remarkable, it's not all that rare.

I reviewed the records from 1998 through the just completed season. I chose 1998 because that was the first year that Women's Hockey had a national tournament for the last four teams standing. The AWCHA sponsored the first three of those tournaments. The NCAA picked up the sponsorship in 2001.

Over the course of those 21 seasons, the Frozen Double has occurred 12 times. Here's the list:

Minnesota (5) 2002, 2003, 2005, 2012, 2014

Boston College (3) 2007, 2012, 2016

New Hampshire (2) 1998, 1999

Wisconsin (1) 2006 (Both Teams Won National Titles.)

Ohio State (1) 2018

Not bad company to be in.
                            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 04-14-2018, 09:22 AM. Reason: 2003 Correction

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              Well, the 2017-18 College Hockey Season is now in the books. For both genders. As we leave the college season behind & move into the NHL Playoffs, it's worth reflecting for a moment on an important Buckeye accomplishment: Both OSU Hockey Teams made it to the Frozen Four.

Frozen Doubles

Both teams in the Frozen Four. It's an achievement to be long remembered and cherished. Obviously it's a Buckeye first. And yet, while remarkable, it's not all that rare.

I reviewed the records from 1998 through the just completed season. I chose 1998 because that was the first year that Women's Hockey had a national tournament for the last four teams standing. The AWCHA sponsored the first three of those tournaments. The NCAA picked up the sponsorship in 2001.

Over the course of those 21 seasons, the Frozen Double has occurred 11 times. Here's the list:

Minnesota (4) 2002, 2005, 2012, 2014

Boston College (3) 2007, 2012, 2016

New Hampshire (2) 1998, 1999

Wisconsin (1) 2006 (Both Teams Won National Titles.)

Ohio State (1) 2018

Not bad company to be in.
                              Both Minnesota teams were in the Frozen Four in 2003. The men won the championship over New Hampshire and the women lost to Harvard in the semifinal.
                              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-14-2018, 03:02 AM. Reason: If only Travis Weber had returned in 2004 and Vanek in 2005 maybe...
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                Both Minnesota teams were in the Frozen Four in 2003. The men won the championship over New Hampshire and the women lost to Harvard in the semifinal.
                                Right you are; fixed my post. The sad thing is that I actually found 2003 going through the records, yet somehow neglected to get it into the post.

Anyhow, an even more impressive total for the Golden Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X