Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Peters played well and should have started the second game. She made many good saves and the tying goal was not soft in my view. Dahlquist scored a beauty. If anything I would be questioning the winning goal.
    Definitely not my place to question a coach like Brad Frost, but in hindsight (I know, 20/20), Peters came on in relief Saturday and only allowed one goal on nine shots, so maybe Coach Frost should have gone back to her Saturday. Then again, the way the Bucks are playing right now, it may not have mattered which goaltender was in net Saturday. I found out recently, and forgive me if I have already mentioned this, the girls had a players-only meeting after the 5-1 loss to Penn State. Since then, they are 5-0 and have outscored their opponents 20-5.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      You know how I feel about Coach Nadine, Ne7minder. I am thrilled that she is here. She was the perfect hire for the program at this time. I have been critical of our athletic department's treatment of our hockey programs in the past, and they still need to shore up our facilities, but they clearly hit a home run with the hire of Nadine Muzerall! I couldn't be happier with the state of our program right now, and I still feel like Coach Nadine is ahead of schedule with this process. I definitely agree with your last sentence. She better get a big raise after this season is over, and the assistants, too!
      Totally agree, wonder what she could have done with previous Ohio State teams that were poorly coached under Potter and Hranahan but had some talent. She has brought accountability and a winning culture to Ohio, something that was sadly lacking. A winning culture will make it much easier to recruit top talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
        Peters played well and should have started the second game. She made many good saves and the tying goal was not soft in my view. Dahlquist scored a beauty. If anything I would be questioning the winning goal.
        They were both soft, and starting Gulstene on Saturday didn't surprise me in the slightest. Goaltending may not have been Minnesota's biggest problem on the weekend, but it was definitely a problem. That said, the choice of goalie for the second game made absolutely no difference in the outcome; the whole team played a terrible game, while the Buckeyes played very well.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          From a Buckeye point of view, watching Charly split the defense was very cool. A feat of skill and determination that one rarely sees anymore.
          Unfortunately, Gopher fans have seen our D get split fairly regularly of late (assuming we have two of them back, which has been a larger issue).
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

For you Pairwise lovers, I posted a couple articles about the Pairwise and Bracketology over in the Fun With Numbers thread:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6592236
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Ohio State drops game one this weekend vs Minnesota-Duluth by a final score of 4-1. I was not able to see the game, so I cannot comment on how it was played, but this has to be the kind of inconsistency that drives a coach nuts (sweep perennial power Minnesota, then get drilled by 5th place UMD). In listening to recent interviews with Coach Nadine, she is looking for consistency and improvement each game out. It does not appear that she got that today. Anyway, not to excuse this one, but it just further proves how tough it is to win on the road in the WCHA ... unless you're Wisconsin, who just keeps rolling along and piling up wins regardless of whether they are home or away. Looking at the box score, one could conclude that the story of the game was UMD goaltender Jessica Convery, who stopped 38 of the 39 Ohio State shots she faced today. Buckeye netminder Kassidy Sauve saved 24 of the 28 shots she faced. The lone Buckeye goal was scored by Tatum Skaggs. The Bulldog goals were scored by Naomi Rogge, Sydney Brodt, Jalyn Elmes, and Katerina Mrazova. The Buckeyes need to come out more focused tomorrow and at least get three points on this trip. They can't really afford not to with Wisconsin coming to Columbus next weekend. The teams are back at it tomorrow at 4:07 pm EST.

Comment

Looking at the box score, one could conclude that the story of the game was UMD goaltender Jessica Convery, who stopped 38 of the 39 Ohio State shots she faced today.
                Convery had a great game with several great saves and one or two that were brilliant.

I'm really glad that you have such a good team this year...just improves the flavour and expands the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  Convery had a great game with several great saves and one or two that were brilliant.

I'm really glad that you have such a good team this year...just improves the flavour and expands the kitchen.
                  Thanks Blackbeard! It has been a great season here and with Nadine Muzerall guiding the ship, this is just the beginning. It was actually nice that the game was on tv today, although it would have been better if we would have scored a couple goals. I work for a company that is headquartered overseas so I get to work from home. I went out to the living room and turned the game on a couple times to check in. It looked to me like the effort was there, we just could not get pucks by Convery. We have a resilient bunch, so I am sure they will be ready to go tomorrow. Sounds like my assessment was not far off. Here is what Coach Nadine had to say after the game (taken from the recap on ohiostatebuckeyes.com) ... “For the last five games we haven’t had problems with consistency, but tonight we did. We have to give their goaltender credit. She played amazing out there and kept us from doing what we know we can do. Tomorrow we can hopefully capitalize on our opportunities.”

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

Convery has been through a lot, I talked to her Dad in Madison (he has posted on this site from time to time and we hooked up when Mercyhurst came to Madison a few years ago, a very nice guy), it's great to see her have an awesome game. It kind of changes your perspective a bit when you know the journey of a player. I almost felt bad sieving her in Madison.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      I almost felt bad sieving her in Madison.
                      You sieved her with love and affection? Yes, I can see that.

Comment

In listening to recent interviews with Coach Nadine, she is looking for consistency and improvement each game out. It does not appear that she got that today...The Buckeyes need to come out more focused tomorrow and at least get three points on this trip.
                        Ouch. Sounds like the Friday Penn State game. Hope the analogy holds for the Saturday game. Go Bucks!

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                        You sieved her with love and affection? Yes, I can see that.
                        Perhaps respect and admiration. But affection? Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          For you Pairwise lovers, I posted a couple articles about the Pairwise and Bracketology over in the Fun With Numbers thread:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6592236
                          I've been lurking on that thread, on and off, for a long time. While I do feel guilty about being a free rider, I'm going to keep doing it. Just something that I enjoy. Sincere thanks to you, robertearle, Eeyore and all the other Pairwise people.

I still wish it were possible to have a "Headline News" version of the Pairwise rankings, as they evolve each year. But as I commented earlier, if the verdict is that simplifying = hopelessly misleading, I can accept that.

Comment

Well, I didn't expect the Bucks to get swept in Duluth, but that was exactly what happened this weekend. Coach Nadine's quote in the recap indicates that the effort was there again, and the Bucks outshot Duluth for the second game in a row, 34-25, but on the scoreboard where it counts, Ohio State was beaten again, this time by a final score of 2-1. With a series against the Badgers coming up next weekend, this is not a good time to go into a scoring slump. This was one of those disastrous weekends where you just erase the tape and move forward. Let's just get to the box score. As was the case with Friday's game, Tatum Skaggs scored the lone Buckeye goal in the second period. At the time, it gave the Bucks a 1-0 lead, but they would not finish the game the right way, letting in two UMD goals in the third period to allow the Bulldogs to come away from this weekend with two signature wins. Anna Klein scored both UMD goals. Jessica Convery stopped 33 of the 34 shots she faced. Kassidy Sauve saved 23 of the 25 shots she faced. It gets tougher for the Buckeyes next weekend as they will welcome #1 Wisconsin to the OSU Ice Rink. UMD will have a weekday game Wednesday vs St. Cloud, then will play the Minnesota Whitecaps Saturday in an exhibition game.

Comment

Pgb, gonna need you to talk me off the ledge again. Actually, after watching the post-game interview with Coach Nadine, she thought we played a great game today and deserved to win. It reminded me of something former men's coach John Markell said after a 3-2 loss to Cornell in the 2005 NCAA Tournament ... I don't remember the exact quote, but I think it was something along the lines of "Hockey can be a cruel game because you can do everything right and still lose." This was only the second time we have been swept in a WCHA series this season. The only other time was in Madison back in November against the #1 Badgers. Another downside to this weekend is Minnesota has now surpassed Ohio State and moved into second place in the WCHA standings. We still have two games in hand on the Gophers, but we obviously need to get the goal-scoring figured out. You don't win games in this league when you only score one goal, and this team has way too much offensive talent to not score goals.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                                Pgb, gonna need you to talk me off the ledge again. Actually, after watching the post-game interview with Coach Nadine, she thought we played a great game today and deserved to win. It reminded me of something former men's coach John Markell said after a 3-2 loss to Cornell in the 2005 NCAA Tournament ... I don't remember the exact quote, but I think it was something along the lines of "Hockey can be a cruel game because you can do everything right and still lose." This was only the second time we have been swept in a WCHA series this season. The only other time was in Madison back in November against the #1 Badgers. Another downside to this weekend is Minnesota has now surpassed Ohio State and moved into second place in the WCHA standings. We still have two games in hand on the Gophers, but we obviously need to get the goal-scoring figured out. You don't win games in this league when you only score one goal, and this team has way too much offensive talent to not score goals.
                                The Bulldogs had much better chances and they capitalized on Buckeye mistakes. Many shots were taken from the outside and were not dangerous. It looked like the Buckeyes were just holding for most of the game. The Bulldogs were deserving of the win in my view. I was hoping to see more from the Buckeyes this weekend after last weekend’s big sweep but they looked flat. A win against the Badgers will get them back on track.
                                Last edited by Puckdrop14; 01-28-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X