Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I agree with you. Shots on goal can be a deceiving stat. Sometimes it does tell the story. In other cases, it does not. Yesterday's shots on goal numbers were not really indicative of an even game. Good luck the rest of the season. I was neat seeing Grace Zumwinkle play in person. I think she is going to be a good one.
    Your goalie is a significant part of the difference between these two teams. She also handles the puck very well which does help your top 3 D log the minutes they do. The more time Jincy Dunne spends on the ice, the better the Buckeyes are.

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Don't get me wrong; fans of the Gopher Men do have some valid complaints. Losing games against in-state rivals is a bad situation. We get that; fewer games against Miami and BG is a disappointment on our end. Add in the highest ticket prices in college hockey; to say nothing of the coerced contributions for the best seats. It's no wonder that some fans chose to drop out.

But endless angst, season after season? Seems to me the fans in question should either get back with the program, or drop out entirely. Just one observer's humble opinion.
      Yes, the men's fanbase seems to be miserable. A large number of the influential, important part of the hockey community in the Twin Cities/MN turned against Lucia years ago and over time, coupled with the valid complaints, it has had a terrible impact on the atmosphere surrounding the men's hockey program, IMHO.

My favorite is a month after the National Championship game loss to Union in 2014 people saying the Gophers haven't done "anything" since 2003!
      Last edited by KTDC; 01-21-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
        Your goalie is a significant part of the difference between these two teams. She also handles the puck very well which does help your top 3 D log the minutes they do. The more time Jincy Dunne spends on the ice, the better the Buckeyes are.
        I completely agree with you on all points. Kassidy Sauve is the best goalie in the country, in my opinion. I know the Wisconsin fans won't agree with that, but I will take Kassidy over anyone else. Yes, I am biased. As for Jincy Dunne, she is a difference-maker on the blue line, really on the ice, period, as she can single-handedly get the puck out of our zone cleanly and get our offense started. It seems like every game these days, she does something on the ice that just amazes me and makes me wonder to myself, "How did she do that?" As you alluded to, we have a couple other D's (Sadek and Boyle) that are very talented and get a lot of minutes. Our freshman D, Lisa Bruno, is really starting to come on, and I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but it certainly seems like she is getting more minutes than she was earlier in the season. Liv Halvorson has seen action lately, which helps the others get a break.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          I completely agree with you on all points. Kassidy Sauve is the best goalie in the country, in my opinion. I know the Wisconsin fans won't agree with that, but I will take Kassidy over anyone else. Yes, I am biased.
          I'm with you. I'd love to see a Patty Kass Award this year.

As for Jincy Dunne, she is a difference-maker on the blue line, really on the ice, period, as she can single-handedly get the puck out of our zone cleanly and get our offense started. It seems like every game these days, she does something on the ice that just amazes me and makes me wonder to myself, "How did she do that?"
          When writing the 3 Stars Posts, a bit of exaggeration is part of the fun. But Jincy really is Smooth Magic. I truly appreciate her work.

As you alluded to, we have a couple other D's (Sadek and Boyle) that are very talented and get a lot of minutes. Our freshman D, Lisa Bruno, is really starting to come on, and I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but it certainly seems like she is getting more minutes than she was earlier in the season. Liv Halvorson has seen action lately, which helps the others get a break.
          I'd include Liv in the "really starting to come on" category as well. While I fully defer to the coaches on the number of minutes for each player, I'm comfortable when Liv is out there.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
            Yes, the men's fanbase seems to be miserable. A large number of the influential, important part of the hockey community in the Twin Cities/MN turned against Lucia years ago and over time, coupled with the valid complaints, it has had a terrible impact on the atmosphere surrounding the men's hockey program, IMHO.

My favorite is a month after the National Championship game loss to Union in 2014 people saying the Gophers haven't done "anything" since 2003!
            The loss to Union was a surprise to me, but winning 6 straight conference championships isn't exactly not having done "anything." My wife has thought for a few years that it's time for Lucia to retire. I've disagreed until maybe this year. As a 25+ year season ticket holder we no longer go to both the men's and women's games when they play the same day. No angst for the men's team it's just too much hockey for us old folks and we enjoy the women's games more.

This is certainly not the same Ohio State team we saw play in Columbus in December of 2014 when the Gophers outscored them 14-3. Gotta believe Coach Muzerall has been at least a part of the reason for that turnaround. Our former minister comes to a couple of games a year with us to Ridder and he always says he likes to go when the Gophers are "playing someone good." I'm glad I can add Ohio State to the list of games for him to watch. Maybe in the WCHA Final Face-Off.
            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

I'd include Liv in the "really starting to come on" category as well. While I fully defer to the coaches on the number of minutes for each player, I'm comfortable when Liv is out there.
              I am fine with Liv Halvorson out there and Elise Riemenschneider as well. I actually think we should be playing all our D's and all four lines of forwards, but I will definitely defer to the coaches regarding the playing time. They are at practice everyday and know our players skill sets better than I do.

Comment

I am fine with Liv Halvorson out there and Elise Riemenschneider as well. I actually think we should be playing all our D's and all four lines of forwards, but I will definitely defer to the coaches regarding the playing time. They are at practice everyday and know our players skill sets better than I do.
                Its all about winning THIS year and Ohio knows it. Both Minnesota and Wisconsin (and too a lesser extent UMD) are a little weaker due to the Olympics so there is a small window open for the Buckeyes this year. I expect the universe will be corrected next year.

I did notice Ohio only plays 3 D 90% of the time. Ohio uses TV timeouts?? to rest the 3 D. As the game goes on, they will slot in another D from time to time. Dunne is an unbelievable talent and she should be in the running for the Kaz this year especially when you realize she is playing with a broken wrist. Ohio plays 2 lines most of the game with the third getting an odd shift. Minnesota played 2 lines in the third but I am not sure if that was due to unhappiness with the coaching staff and sending a message to the team. The games were lopsided on the scoresheet but I still attribute that to Sauve. Great goalies can make any team or coach look good. Nothing like a couple of weak goals against to really deflate a team. That never happens at Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
                  Its all about winning THIS year and Ohio knows it. Both Minnesota and Wisconsin (and too a lesser extent UMD) are a little weaker due to the Olympics so there is a small window open for the Buckeyes this year. I expect the universe will be corrected next year.

I did notice Ohio only plays 3 D 90% of the time. Ohio uses TV timeouts?? to rest the 3 D. As the game goes on, they will slot in another D from time to time. Dunne is an unbelievable talent and she should be in the running for the Kaz this year especially when you realize she is playing with a broken wrist. Ohio plays 2 lines most of the game with the third getting an odd shift. Minnesota played 2 lines in the third but I am not sure if that was due to unhappiness with the coaching staff and sending a message to the team. The games were lopsided on the scoresheet but I still attribute that to Sauve. Great goalies can make any team or coach look good. Nothing like a couple of weak goals against to really deflate a team. That never happens at Ohio.
                  Regarding the first point, we are well aware of teams missing Olympians and that those players will be back next season. We can agree to disagree on the small window only being open this season. If Coach Muzerall continues to bring in recruits like our freshman class this season, I don't think that window is going to close anytime soon.

As for your second paragraph, I have never actually tried to do the math, so you might be right about us playing three D's 90% of the time. This weekend I saw at least five and I thought all six of our D's got on the ice this weekend, but I am not sure how many minutes everyone got. Regarding the media timeouts, my understanding of that rule is that it is up to the home team as to whether they are going to use those or not, and you are correct that it gives our team an opportunity to rest people. When we were up in Madison playing Wisconsin, Mark Johnson does not use them. He has depth and he chooses not to give the other team a chance to rest people, and I don't blame him. I completely agree with you on Jincy, she is a special player. I think Kassidy Sauve should be up for the Patty Kaz, too, with the season she is having. When she is on, which is a vast majority of the time, teams are only going to get a couple goals against her. Case in point ... five goals in the last four games vs two top ten teams. Having watched the highlights several times, I tend to agree with you on the weak goals deflating a team. I was talking to a couple of friends on the Minnesota side over the weekend and they felt the effort was lacking. On some of the goals over the weekend, maybe the goalies should have stopped them, but if you watched the highlights, the Gopher goalies didn't necessarily get much help from the players in front of them.

Comment

Regarding the first point, we are well aware of teams missing Olympians and that those players will be back next season. We can agree to disagree on the small window only being open this season. If Coach Muzerall continues to bring in recruits like our freshman class this season, I don't think that window is going to close anytime soon.
                    This. I don't think some know (particularly the call a couple weeks ago to fire Muzzy) exactly how outstanding your new coach is. OSU is going to be a pain in the breezers for Gopher and Badger fans for a long time to come. They will contend for the national championship regularly if Nadine has any say. Given the crumby facilities OSU provides they should gather some of the money they don't waste on football to pay here because if Joel and Brad leave the U she would be #1 on the candidate list.

Comment

As for your second paragraph, I have never actually tried to do the math, so you might be right about us playing three D's 90% of the time. This weekend I saw at least five and I thought all six of our D's got on the ice this weekend, but I am not sure how many minutes everyone got. Regarding the media timeouts, my understanding of that rule is that it is up to the home team as to whether they are going to use those or not, and you are correct that it gives our team an opportunity to rest people. When we were up in Madison playing Wisconsin, Mark Johnson does not use them. He has depth and he chooses not to give the other team a chance to rest people, and I don't blame him. I completely agree with you on Jincy, she is a special player. I think Kassidy Sauve should be up for the Patty Kaz, too, with the season she is having. When she is on, which is a vast majority of the time, teams are only going to get a couple goals against her. Case in point ... five goals in the last four games vs two top ten teams. Having watched the highlights several times, I tend to agree with you on the weak goals deflating a team. I was talking to a couple of friends on the Minnesota side over the weekend and they felt the effort was lacking. On some of the goals over the weekend, maybe the goalies should have stopped them, but if you watched the highlights, the Gopher goalies didn't necessarily get much help from the players in front of them.
                      Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                      This. I don't think some know (particularly the call a couple weeks ago to fire Muzzy) exactly how outstanding your new coach is. OSU is going to be a pain in the breezers for Gopher and Badger fans for a long time to come. They will contend for the national championship regularly if Nadine has any say. Given the crumby facilities OSU provides they should gather some of the money they don't waste on football to pay here because if Joel and Brad leave the U she would be #1 on the candidate list.
                      Plus, the Buckeyes have lots of good players returning next year.

As for the weekend, the tying goal on Friday was pretty soft and possibly, maybe was decisive. And maybe not. pgb mentioned the Gophers looked shell shocked after the game on Saturday. I thought they looked shell shocked during the game also. Gophers were having trouble executing almost anything. Goaltending maybe wasn't great but I'm with Eeyore that it wasn't close to the biggest problem.

On the other hand, Buckeyes were all over us and not giving the Gophers a chance to get their bearings. Buckeyes get big props for the weekend and deserve to feel as great as I'm sure they are

5 of the 6 'D' for OSU made the +/- on Saturday.

On the other hand Tianna Gunderson was given a minus for the game winner on Friday and I'm pretty sure it should have been #9 for the Gophs instead of #4.

Also, do you mind if I file a complaint for Sauve being given as assist on the game tying goal? (jk, but that was pretty darn generous)

Gophers are using their media timeout this year, also.

Comment

As for the weekend, the tying goal on Friday was pretty soft and possibly, maybe was decisive...
                        It was definitely decisive. But soft? It's funny how the same play can look so different, depending on one's vantage point. Funny, but quite understandable.

From a Buckeye point of view, watching Charly split the defense was very cool. A feat of skill and determination that one rarely sees anymore. Highlight reel stuff. And yet, from a Gopher point of view, I can easily see that the response would be: "She split the defense? That should NEVER happen!"

As for the Goalie's attempted save, I don't have a clear picture in my mind's eye. Was that the "missed pokecheck" that's been referenced? If so, that could fairly be considered soft. And yet when the shooter is charging the net uncontested, then shooting at point blank range, it's very hard for me blame the goaltender.

...Gophers are using their media timeout this year, also.
                        This is a host team, campus-by-campus choice. I believe the conference is split roughly down the middle on this. Though beyond the Gophers & Buckeyes, I'm not sure who else is using the extra timeouts. Anyhow, my understanding is that you have to make one choice and stick with it for season. But even if that's not true, you certainly can't change it up in the middle of a game.

Since there is a choice, I have no problem at all with a coach thinking things through, and making the decision that most benefits the home team. That's more than rational, it's good coaching.

At the same time, I'm not nearly as sure that campus-by-campus choice is good policy from a league perspective. All of the extra timeouts have a definite impact on the game -- an impact that really goes beyond legitimate home ice advantage. I'm guessing we'll see a standard, league-wide rule sometime in the near future.

Another angle: The media timeouts that we now use are a classic example of unintended consequences. 10 or 15 years ago, we went to "fast face-offs'' for the purpose speeding up the game. Part of the idea was that we didn't want coaches "gaming the system" with slow changes. For a period of years, game times significantly decreased. But that gave TV a problem. Fast face-offs didn't leave time for commercials. Voila - media timeouts. Game times are back on the rise. And if anything, the media timeouts are more disruptive to the flow of the game than the slow changes were.

Last Item: Of course it can be fairly argued that streaming services don't need as many timeouts as commercial television does. And since most of the Women's games are streamed rather than televised, maybe it follows that we don't need all those extra timeouts. Conversely, there is something to be said for uniformity, and not having to suddenly change the rules if TV shows up. Stay tuned...
                        Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-22-2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

It was definitely decisive. But soft? It's funny how the same play can look so different, depending on one's vantage point. Funny, but quite understandable.

From a Buckeye point of view, watching Charly split the defense was very cool. A feat of skill and determination that one rarely sees anymore. Highlight reel stuff. And yet, from a Gopher point of view, I can easily see that the response would be: "She split the defense? That should NEVER happen!"
                          Haha, isn't that the truth. We are talking about the 'missed pokecheck'. But from my vantage point, even though Dahlquist split the defense, she wasn't uncontested. What I saw, Baldwin was on her pretty good and interfered with Dahlquist getting a primo shot off!

Comment

Haha, isn't that the truth. We are talking about the 'missed pokecheck'. But from my vantage point, even though Dahlquist split the defense, she wasn't uncontested. What I saw, Baldwin was on her pretty good and interfered with Dahlquist getting a primo shot off!
                            That sounds right. I guess after Jincy's spin move & Charly splitting the 'D', I was already on sensory overload! But even if the keeper was getting some help from #9, it was still a pretty tough situation, given the point blank opportunity.

Comment

Peters played well and should have started the second game. She made many good saves and the tying goal was not soft in my view. Dahlquist scored a beauty. If anything I would be questioning the winning goal.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                                You know how I feel about Coach Nadine, Ne7minder. I am thrilled that she is here. She was the perfect hire for the program at this time. I have been critical of our athletic department's treatment of our hockey programs in the past, and they still need to shore up our facilities, but they clearly hit a home run with the hire of Nadine Muzerall! I couldn't be happier with the state of our program right now, and I still feel like Coach Nadine is ahead of schedule with this process. I definitely agree with your last sentence. She better get a big raise after this season is over, and the assistants, too!

Comment

Working...
                                X