Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

I'm sad that I missed the Pairwise discussion but I do appreciate the shoutouts lol
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      I'm sad that I missed the Pairwise discussion but I do appreciate the shoutouts lol
      I was just thinking this morning that after today, Ohio State will have finished their head-to-head with Robert Morris and (maybe) with Minnesota, and maybe it will be time to revisit those two comparisons, as a 'case in point'. If you want to throw in any comments. observations, etc, please do so.

Comment

It's look more and more like Ohio State will be hosting playoff games this year ! Go Bucks Go !

Comment

Gopher faithful are very hard on their team. They are ranked 5th, young and missing their top three players. They play a good game and would not like to face them come playoff time.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            No, that's a Gopher fan, not a troll, and everyone with a dissenting opinion isn't a moron.
            Pretty sure I remember Golden Tuuk from the Men's Hockey Board. If I'm recalling the correct poster, he/she has been a source of intelligent commentary in the past. In this case, though, it's pretty clear that the comment was based only on final scores. That's a serious lack of information, particularly when going negative. KTDC's response on the Gopher thread was spot on.

My guess is that Golden Tuuk is one of those fans who's still bitter about the formation of the B1G Men's Hockey conference. Every Gopher Hockey loss, by either gender, is trotted out as proof that today's college hockey is rotten to the core. This describes some personal friends of mine from MN; it certainly appears that Golden Tuuk is cut from the same cloth. I dunno; maybe the Vikings will win the Super Bowl & these guys can finally get off the ledge. My perception from afar is that the ledge is pretty crowded, and has been for some time.

And to an extent, I agree with the point. The Gophers hadn't lost to OSU in almost a decade. Then the Buckeyes come into Ridder and kick their behinds for two games, and almost get the sweep. After that, UM doesn't have enough passion to play a full 60 minutes in the first rematch? There's no shame in losing to this year's Buckeyes, but you have to bring more effort than UM has shown of late.
            I don't think this Gopher team is lazy. The do seem to be a little tentative, lacking some of the chemistry & confidence we've seen from GWH in the past.
            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-20-2018, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              I was just thinking this morning that after today, Ohio State will have finished their head-to-head with Robert Morris and (maybe) with Minnesota, and maybe it will be time to revisit those two comparisons, as a 'case in point'. If you want to throw in any comments. observations, etc, please do so.
              More Science, Please.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                Every Gopher Hockey loss, by either gender, is trotted out as proof that today's college hockey is rotten to the core. ... I dunno; maybe the Vikings will win the Super Bowl & these guys can finally get off the ledge. My perception from afar is that the ledge is pretty crowded, and has been for some time.
                Definitely true as far as the Vikes; the women's hockey fanbase doesn't really share the same perspective.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I guess we know who won that SHOWDOWN!

Buckeyes had some fun this weekend. Yesterday I said was a good game. I certainly won't say that about today's game. You guys might though
                  Congratulations to the Bucks on a couple big wins!

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Definitely true as far as the Vikes; the women's hockey fanbase doesn't really share the same perspective.
                    I'd agree that the Gopher Women's Hockey fanbase is mostly exempt from that description.

But I still say it's a fair criticism of a "significant minority" of your Men's Hockey fanbase. And it seems pretty clear that Golden Tuuk is primarily a Men's Hockey fan who was just passing through. The post in question? Basically a hit-and-run.

Don't get me wrong; fans of the Gopher Men do have some valid complaints. Losing games against in-state rivals is a bad situation. We get that; fewer games against Miami and BG is a disappointment on our end. Add in the highest ticket prices in college hockey; to say nothing of the coerced contributions for the best seats. It's no wonder that some fans chose to drop out.

But endless angst, season after season? Seems to me the fans in question should either get back with the program, or drop out entirely. Just one observer's humble opinion.

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    I guess we know who won that SHOWDOWN!

Buckeyes had some fun this weekend. Yesterday I said was a good game. I certainly won't say that about today's game. You guys might though
                    Congratulations to the Bucks on a couple big wins!
                    Appreciate the congratulations; thank you for posting that.

I'm still processing today's game. At the end, the Buckeyes were deservedly jubilant. The Gophers looked shell-shocked. From the latter perspective, of course it wasn't a good game.

For me, I felt pretty comfortable with the Buckeyes' chances for the full 60 minutes. That sounds like a great game. But against the Gophers? That's twilight zone stuff. Still processing.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      I was just thinking this morning that after today, Ohio State will have finished their head-to-head with Robert Morris and (maybe) with Minnesota, and maybe it will be time to revisit those two comparisons, as a 'case in point'
                      So, here goes. I think have this right, but if anyone sees a mistake, please point it out.

Ohio State vs Robert Morris Pairwise comparison
                      ---------------------
                      Ohio State wins the head-to-head comparison, 3 games to 1. That is worth 2 comparison 'points'. And with only two other 'points' available - for the RPI comparison, and for the common opponent comparison - Robert Morris must win both of those, to get the overall comparison tied at 3-3. At that point, the RPI becomes the tie-breaker, and RMU would win.

So, first, 'common opponents': Those are Minn-Mankato, Mercyhurst, and Penn State. The way that common opponent comparison is done is maybe not the way you would expect. Instead of simply taking all the games against the all the common opponents and seeing who has the better won-loss percent, you figure the won-loss percentage PER team, and then add those percentages up. (They used to do it the easier, sensible way, but they changed it during the 2012-13 season, and the change cost Wisconsin a berth in the tournament, and got North Dakota in instead.)

A table will show what I mean:
                      Common opponent----OSU----percent----RMU---percent
                      ------------------------------------------------------------
                      Mankato--------------W,W,?,?----1.0-------WW-----1.0
                      Mercyhurst-------------W, L------0.5------W,L,?,?---0.5
                      Penn St-----------------W, L------0.5------T,T,?,?----0.5
                      --
                      total-------------------------------2.0-----------------2.0

The '?' indictaes a game left to be played.
                      Ohio State has two games left against Mankato, but cannot improve their "1.0" score against Mankato, nor their "2.0" overall; beating Mankato four times is worth the same as RMU beating them twice. But they can hurt their score(s) with a loss.
                      Robert Morris, on the other hand, can improve or worsen their "0.5" against Mercyhurst and Penn St in those remaining games. And both teams could very well have further common opponent games in their conference tournaments. But there as well, OSU cannot improve their 2.0, they can only worsen it; RMU can improve their "2.0", or worsen it.

So Robert Morris could certainly still win the 'common opponent' point.

RPI: Ohio State has a healthy lead in RPI. It's hard to imagine RMU catching them, but I guess it is still possible. RMU would have to have a great month, and OSU have a really bad one.

Most likely, Ohio State wins the Pairwise comparison, based on Head-to-head and RPI.

OSU vs Minnesota Pairwise comparison
                      -------------------------------------------

Can Minnesota even catch OSU, given the head-to-head? Yes, but only if the Gophers win RPI, AND Common-opponent, AND they play each other in the WCHA tournament And Minn wins that game.

OSU has a 3.5-to-0.5 head-to-head advantage, worth 3 comparison 'points'. A Gopher win at the WCHA tourney would cut that to 2.

RPI: While OSU leads, it seems quite possible for Minnesota to catch them, particularly if we are assuming a Minn win at the tournament

So, common opponent: Obviously, there are a lot of them. And certainly more common opponent games to come in the WCHA tournament than show in the table
                      Common opponent---OSU----percent---Minn------percent
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------
                      Mercyhurst-----------W, L------0.5------W,W---------1.0
                      Wisconsin------------L,L,?,?----0.0------L,L,?,?------0.0
                      Bemidji--------------T,W,?,?----0.75----W,W,W,L-----0.75
                      Duluth----------------W,W,?,?---1.0-----W,W,T,W----0.875
                      St Cloud--------------W,W,T,T---0.75----W,W,W,?,?--1.0
                      Mankato--------------W,W,?,?---1.0------W,W,?,?----1.0
                      -
                      total------------------------------4.0------------------4.625

Clearly, lots we don't know yet. But clearly it is quite possible, even probable, for Minn to win 'common opponents'

Most likely, Ohio State wins this Pairwise comparison, but it isn't the 'sure thing' that the RMU pair appears to be.

-------------

The other non-WCHA Pairwise comparisons are all 'who has the better RPI?' And while the other WCHA team comparisons have 'common opponent' components, I don't think any are likely to change from what they are now.

The two wins over the Gophers flipped that comparison, and moved OSU into a nice, safe #5 in the pairwise. And dropped the Gophers to a precarious #7. Now, can we get them down to #8, please? :-)

Edit: I should have known those tables wouldn't work. The web page just didn't like lots of spaces, so I used lots of "-", instead.
                      Last edited by robertearle; 01-20-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        I'm still processing today's game. At the end, the Buckeyes were deservedly jubilant. The Gophers looked shell-shocked. From the latter perspective, of course it wasn't a good game.

For me, I felt pretty comfortable with the Buckeyes' chances for the full 60 minutes. That sounds like a great game. But against the Gophers? That's twilight zone stuff. Still processing.
                        I've been a "little under the weather", so to speak, which caused me to miss both games this weekend. Sad to say, with the way the Gophers have been trending towards mediocrity this season, as compared to last, and especially to their remarkable streak of success in prior years, I'm not surprised at the result of an OSU sweep at home. I had a "hunch" that the Gophers would feel an immediate impact of Coach Muzerall leaving, coupled with the big hit the Gophers would somehow need to overcome due to graduation and the Olympics.

After a long stretch of MN dominance in the series, I had a feeling that the rivalry developed during this season still has a chapter yet to be read, and I am hoping for a different result than what we saw this weekend.
                        Last edited by D2D; 01-20-2018, 07:45 PM.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I, like Pgb, am still processing this. I was at the Ice Rink, actually standing in St. John Arena waiting for the players to file out of the locker room to congratulate them, and I didn't want to leave. It all seems surreal ... sweeping the Gophers at home and taking 11 of the 12 points this season. I talked to Eeyore, CrazyDave, and others, and the Minnesota fans were very gracious today and complimentary of our team. Today's final score was 5-1. The shots on goal were close in this one ... 26 to 24 in favor of the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes scored two in the first period, two more in the second period, then each team got a goal in the third period. Each team had two power plays but neither team was able to find the back of the net. All six goals were scored in 5-on-5 play. The Gophers' third period goal was scored by Sydney Baldwin. The Ohio State goals were scored by Tatum Skaggs, Liz Schepers, Maddy Field (2), and Rebecca Freiburger. Face-offs were a dead heat at 28-all. Buckeye backstop Kassidy Sauve stopped 23 of the 24 shots she faced. For the Gophers, Alex Gulstene saved 13 of the 17 shots she faced. She was relieved in the second period by Sidney Peters, who stopped 8 of the 9 shots she faced. The Buckeyes will go on the road for the first time this year when they travel to Duluth to take on the UMD Bulldogs. Minnesota will return home to celebrate Senior Weekend with a series against Minnesota State.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            Today's final score was 5-1. The shots on goal were close in this one ...
                            True, but the score was a better indicator of the relative quality of play. If you're a Gopher fan, you could look at the shot totals and the fact that Minnesota hit the pipe three times (OSU did once, but they put in the rebound, so that doesn't count as a missed chance) and delude yourself into thinking this was a close game. It wasn't. The Buckeyes dominated and got the result they deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                              True, but the score was a better indicator of the relative quality of play. If you're a Gopher fan, you could look at the shot totals and the fact that Minnesota hit the pipe three times (OSU did once, but they put in the rebound, so that doesn't count as a missed chance) and delude yourself into thinking this was a close game. It wasn't. The Buckeyes dominated and got the result they deserved.
                              I agree with you. Shots on goal can be a deceiving stat. Sometimes it does tell the story. In other cases, it does not. Yesterday's shots on goal numbers were not really indicative of an even game. Good luck the rest of the season. I was neat seeing Grace Zumwinkle play in person. I think she is going to be a good one.

Comment

Celebrate The Buckeye Sweep by reading the 3 Stars Post over on the WCHA Thread. Go on; if you support the Buckeyes, you've earned the right to toast the occasion!

Comment

Working...
                                X