Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    That is really cool that you traveled to watch a CWHL game. I’m curious, how was the atmosphere and hockey, as compared to NCAA hockey? I understand Canadiennes get great support, not sure how the others fare.
    Lindsay, I think the hockey is good. I think a good NCAA team could certainly compete with the CWHL teams, especially in a year like this one where the CWHL teams are missing Olympians just like some NCAA teams are. I don't remember the exact team or who they played, but I know in the past one of the CWHL teams had an exhibition game vs an NCAA team. I would love to see Ohio State take on the Furies, especially next season when the Furies have Natalie Spooner and their two other Olympians back (Renata Fast and Laura Stacey). I tried to find the attendance figure for you, but none of the box scores had the attendance. There was a good crowd for yesterday's game. There may have been 1,000 people there. SportsNet, who is one of the sponsors for the CWHL, was doing the game, so in order for it to look good on tv, they had everyone sit on the one side, and it was pretty packed. The hockey was good, but it would be that much better if the girls were paid a living wage and that was all they did. With their day jobs, they are only able to get together and practice a couple nights a week. I think the hockey would be really great if that was their full-time job and they practiced everyday like the NCAA teams. I think that is where an NCAA team would have a little bit of an advantage vs a CWHL team or an NWHL team. They get to practice everyday, so I would expect an NCAA team to be sharper.

Meant to add one other thing. I mostly lurk on this thread, but it is fantastic and has been for years. Keep it up, and no one jump off any ledges.
    Thank you for the kind words about this thread. A lot of us have spoken to each other at the games. Since we have met face-to-face, it makes the discussions more civil on here, which is what I like. There have been some in the past who think I am a cheerleader because I don't get on here and rip the girls or the coaches, but I see them and talk to them every home game and some road games. Sometimes if I have a day off, I might even go down and watch practice. I know how hard they work and what the older girls have gone through with all the coaching changes. When they lose, no one feels worse than the players and coaches so I am not going to get on here and pile on. I expect the girls to have a great week of practice and play inspired hockey this weekend against the Badgers. We'll see if they are rewarded with some points, but if they aren't, I know it will not be due to lack of effort. And yeah, I have backed away from the ledge! Thank you again for the kind words. I try my best to promote OSU Women's Hockey. If you ever want to see stories or interviews, we have an OSU Hockey fan page on facebook called The Scarlet Liners. I try to link a lot of the women's hockey stuff in there when I see stories or interviews. Most of the stuff I put in there is just stuff I share from ohiostatebuckeyes.com, the Ohio State Women's Hockey fb page, or their twitter feed, but it gets everything in one spot if nothing else. We have actually taken bus trips in the past to men's games. My dream would be to have enough interest that we could take a bus trip to one of the women's games.

Quote Originally Posted by osualum86 View Post
    Lindsay, I think the hockey is good. I think a good NCAA team could certainly compete with the CWHL teams, especially in a year like this one where the CWHL teams are missing Olympians just like some NCAA teams are. I don't remember the exact team or who they played, but I know in the past one of the CWHL teams had an exhibition game vs an NCAA team. ... I think the hockey would be really great if that was their full-time job and they practiced everyday like the NCAA teams. I think that is where an NCAA team would have a little bit of an advantage vs a CWHL team or an NWHL team. They get to practice everyday, so I would expect an NCAA team to be sharper.
    Ah yes, I remember reading it was going to be televised on SportsNet. Itís kind of a bucket list thing for me to watch either a Toronto or Markham or Montreal CWHL game one day. I would like to watch it in a year when itís loaded with Olympians. Watched a bit of a CW game this summer on an archived stream. I could not believe the speed, it was so fast.

Iím not sure if the CW teams still play college teams although in the first year of the NW they played some college teams. Iím just not sure what OSU would have to gain from a Furies Buckeyes game, as fun as it would be to watch. I think you might have to wait for an alumni game to see Spooner and Buckeyes again. The NCAA kids would have the benefit of everyday practice but early in the season I think most freshmen would be out matched by a CWHL squad. Next year I will I have to pay more attention when exhibitions are being played, see if the pro teams play the college kids at all.

Pretty amazing the pro leagues exist now, meager as the payouts are. I try to imagine what and where the Olympians played between 1998 and 2002... wow times have changed.

Sometimes if I have a day off, I might even go down and watch practice. I know how hard they work and what the older girls have gone through with all the coaching changes.
    ...My dream would be to have enough interest that we could take a bus trip to one of the women's games.
    Very cool. Itís nice just to be in a rink, eh? Iím at a phase in my life where I donít get to go to a rink much which is totally ok, but I look forward to getting to watch lots of live hockey again one day. My daughter is four so maybe soon, if she likes hockey.

As for this senior class and what theyíve been through with coaching turnover, I feel for them. I am a Mercyhurst fan throughout, but care about womenís hockey on the whole. My hope would be that there are 35 well run programs so that every girl who gets the opportunity to play D1 hockey has a shot at a positive experience. I hope things have improved for the OSU girls in the past two years.

If OSU can hang on and get a final 8 berth, you might get your bus trip, or at least another fun road trip soon. Good luck the rest of the way.

Ah yes, I remember reading it was going to be televised on SportsNet. It’s kind of a bucket list thing for me to watch either a Toronto or Markham or Montreal CWHL game one day. I would like to watch it in a year when it’s loaded with Olympians. Watched a bit of a CW game this summer on an archived stream. I could not believe the speed, it was so fast.

I’m not sure if the CW teams still play college teams although in the first year of the NW they played some college teams. I’m just not sure what OSU would have to gain from a Furies Buckeyes game, as fun as it would be to watch. I think you might have to wait for an alumni game to see Spooner and Buckeyes again. The NCAA kids would have the benefit of everyday practice but early in the season I think most freshmen would be out matched by a CWHL squad. Next year I will I have to pay more attention when exhibitions are being played, see if the pro teams play the college kids at all.

Pretty amazing the pro leagues exist now, meager as the payouts are. I try to imagine what and where the Olympians played between 1998 and 2002... wow times have changed.
    The hockey is amazing, especially when the Olympians are playing. My wife and I have been to a couple Clarkson Cups and it is amazing. $15 per ticket for those games is really a great price, especially in the years when the Olympians are playing. All the girls come out after the games for pictures and autographs. They really appreciate their fans, and that goes for the CWHL or NWHL. Honestly, I would love to see the two league champions play each other, kind of a Super Bowl of women's hockey, then maybe someday the two leagues could merge. Times have definitely changed. I mean, when we first started going to the women's games 10-15 years ago or so, there were maybe a handful of girls who were really gifted at shooting and handling the puck. Now they can all skate fast, shoot, and handle the puck. I just did a 'Skate With The Team' last weekend after the Saturday game vs Minnesota. Everytime I get out there and try to do a little skating myself, I realize how good they are and wish I could skate half as well as the girls!

Very cool. It’s nice just to be in a rink, eh? I’m at a phase in my life where I don’t get to go to a rink much which is totally ok, but I look forward to getting to watch lots of live hockey again one day. My daughter is four so maybe soon, if she likes hockey.

As for this senior class and what they’ve been through with coaching turnover, I feel for them. I am a Mercyhurst fan throughout, but care about women’s hockey on the whole. My hope would be that there are 35 well run programs so that every girl who gets the opportunity to play D1 hockey has a shot at a positive experience. I hope things have improved for the OSU girls in the past two years.

If OSU can hang on and get a final 8 berth, you might get your bus trip, or at least another fun road trip soon. Good luck the rest of the way.
    I have to admit, that second game vs Mercyhurst was brutal ... at least if you were there and are an OSU fan! 4-2 lead with 6 or 7 minutes to go in the game and we lose 6-4. It was a fun road trip, though, and we enjoyed seeing all the stuff in the trophy case about Meghan Agosta. The weather was sort of nasty that weekend with all that lake-effect snow, but we got up there and back home in one piece.

I completely agree with you on every young lady who wants to play D1 having a positive experience! One of our players, Charly Dahlquist, played for North Dakota for her first two years, then had the rug pulled out from under her when they suddenly dropped their women's hockey program. I am very happy that Charly found a home here at Ohio State, but I feel bad that she had to go through that. We also got Peter Elander from North Dakota as one of our assistant coaches. Peter knows the game and has been a wonderful addition to the coaching staff. I can tell you that things have definitely improved for the kids both on and off the ice. The girls really like the coaches and play hard for them, and off the ice, the girls are the best of friends. They all really love each other and are a close-knit group. They play for the coaches and for each other. It has been a special season and I will be sad when it ends. I don't know about a bus trip just yet, but you can bet I have been google mapping some potential destinations to see how far I am going to have to drive to see them. An NCAA Tournament berth is not a given, there is still work to do, but they are definitely headed in the right direction, despite the setback of being swept this past weekend vs UMD. I will admit, I am not 100% sure how the pairwise works, although there was a great discussion about that on this thread recently, but we are still setting in 5th place, so unless something earth-shattering happens, and provided we win the games we are supposed to win and do not stub our toes vs teams we should beat, I think the NCAA Tournament is a very real possibility for this program this season. We'll see. I need to not look too far ahead, but then, as a fan, I am allowed to look ahead. It's the players and coaches who have to take it one game at a time! Well, Lindsay, I need to hit it. Talk to you and all my other friends on here tomorrow!

It's going to be easy to go through the box score tonight because only one goal was scored. In what turned out to be a very exciting game between two of the best teams in the country, the Buckeyes got the game's only goal early in the second period and All-American goaltender Kassidy Sauve made it stand with a 26-save shutout of the #1 Badgers. The game-winning goal was scored by Buckeye freshman forward Emma Maltais. Hats off to Badger netminder Kristen Campbell who stopped 26 of the 27 shots she faced, including an absolute barrage in the second period where Ohio State outshot the Badgers 21-2. The shots on goal ended up almost even in the end at 27-26. Other than that second period, Wisconsin came out firing and outshot the Buckeyes 12-2 in the opening period, then came the second period where Ohio State absolutely dominated. The Badgers came out in the third period and outshot the Buckeyes 12-4 for the final totals of 27-26. According to the recap on ohiostatebuckeyes.com, this was only the second time all season that Wisconsin has been outshot by an opponent. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm.

It's going to be easy to go through the box score tonight because only one goal was scored. In what turned out to be a very exciting game between two of the best teams in the country, the Buckeyes got the game's only goal early in the second period and All-American goaltender Kassidy Sauve made it stand with a 26-save shutout of the #1 Badgers. The game-winning goal was scored by Buckeye freshman forward Emma Maltais. Hats off to Badger netminder Kristen Campbell who stopped 26 of the 27 shots she faced, including an absolute barrage in the second period where Ohio State outshot the Badgers 21-2. The shots on goal ended up almost even in the end at 27-26. Other than that second period, Wisconsin came out firing and outshot the Buckeyes 12-2 in the opening period, then came the second period where Ohio State absolutely dominated. The Badgers came out in the third period and outshot the Buckeyes 12-4 for the final totals of 27-26. According to the recap on ohiostatebuckeyes.com, this was only the second time all season that Wisconsin has been outshot by an opponent. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm.
    Beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Beauty.
    It sure was a beauty, and it wasn't that Wisconsin played bad, they were very good tonight just like they have been all season. Both netminders were stingy.

What I find hilarious is that this Gopher fan has been saying all year that the Buckeyes are a very real threat. Even when they threw a clinker I have been a bigger fan of the team than some OSU supporters here. Give that program a little more time & there will be fewer clinkers and, yes, there will be final four appearances. I'd love to see you guys in the championship game . . . losing to MN of course but still

UMD is about the same place in development. BSU, SCSU has shown improvement and MSU has had flashes. There are going to be a lot more exciting games in the future and painful losses all around. I would not be surprised to see the WCHA champ with 4-5 losses and a few ties.

Beauty.
    With apologies to Badger Bob Johnson, it was a great night for hockey. Read all about it on the WCHA thread.

CONGRATS TO THE BUCKEYES!

Two special sweeps in 3 weeks time and I imagine some faithful fans that have been posting here thru thick and thin are eating up every minute of it

Way to go Buckeyes!

Double beauty.

Double beauty.
    Not sure who is a bigger surprise in hockey......the Las Vegas Knights or the Ohio State Buckeyes ????

Quote Originally Posted by BigFan View Post
    Not sure who is a bigger surprise in hockey......the Las Vegas Knights or the Ohio State Buckeyes ????
    I think it's the Buckeyes. One thing is not a surprise by now...there's no doubt who is going to win the WCHA coach of the year!

In what was probably a shocker to some (but not necessarily us OSU fans), the Buckeyes completed the sweep today, beating Wisconsin by a final score of 3-1. In today's game, the Badgers outshot the Buckeyes in every period and ended the game with a 35-20 advantage in shots on goal. Unfortunately for Wisconsin and their fans who traveled to Columbus this weekend, they could only get one of those shots by Kassidy Sauve, who stopped 34 of those 35 shots. Kristen Campbell stopped 17 of the 19 shots she faced as the 20th shot was an empty-netter with 3 seconds to go in the game. Alexis Mauermann opened the scoring in the game and Wisconsin took that 1-0 lead into the first intermission. The Buckeyes were led today by their lethal first line of center Charly Dahlquist and wingers Emma Maltais and Tatum Skaggs, who accounted for all three goals. Emma Maltais scored the tying goal in the second period and that is how the second period ended. The Bucks came out in the third period and took the lead on a goal by Charly Dahlquist, then Tatum Skaggs scored the empty netter at the end. Wisconsin travels to Duluth to take on the Bulldogs next weekend. The Buckeyes will also head back on the road to take on the Minnesota State Mavericks. With the sweep, Ohio State has pulled back into second place in the WCHA standings.
    Last edited by osualum86; 02-03-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    What I find hilarious is that this Gopher fan has been saying all year that the Buckeyes are a very real threat. Even when they threw a clinker I have been a bigger fan of the team than some OSU supporters here. Give that program a little more time & there will be fewer clinkers and, yes, there will be final four appearances. I'd love to see you guys in the championship game . . . losing to MN of course but still

UMD is about the same place in development. BSU, SCSU has shown improvement and MSU has had flashes. There are going to be a lot more exciting games in the future and painful losses all around. I would not be surprised to see the WCHA champ with 4-5 losses and a few ties.
    Totally agree with you on this. And to answer the question that BigFan posted, Vegas is definitely the bigger surprise to this fan! I knew Ohio State was going to be good this season. I will be the first to admit that they are even better than I thought they would be, but with the players we had coming back this season, I knew this team had a chance to be real good. As for KTDC's comment, yes, I am soaking this up. After games like these, I don't want to leave the OSU Ice Rink. I want to stay there all night. I said this on some other forum, but these seniors who have been through three coaches in four years richly deserve this, and I couldn't be happier for them.

Pgb ... LOL, I asked someone tonight if they were on uscho.com, trying to figure out who you are. Maybe next home game. I think you know who I am, but I don't know who you are and it's driving me nuts.
    Last edited by osualum86; 02-04-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Pgb ... LOL, I asked someone tonight if they were on uscho.com, trying to figure out who you are.
    That's actually kind of funny and cool. Reminds me of the liquor store scene in American Graffiti. You're having a normal conversation, trying to act nonchalant, and then:

Oh, you're going to the concession stand? I'll have an order of nachos... a coke... three pretzels... Say, do you post on USCHO?... a bathing cap... a bottle of Old Harper's...

The 3 Stars For Saturday's Game is a work in progress. But if you like, you can read the first installment on the WCHA thread.

Totally agree with you on this. And to answer the question that BigFan posted, Vegas is definitely the bigger surprise to this fan! I knew Ohio State was going to be good this season. I will be the first to admit that they are even better than I thought they would be, but with the players we had coming back this season, I knew this team had a chance to be real good. As for KTDC's comment, yes, I am soaking this up. After games like these, I don't want to leave the OSU Ice Rink. I want to stay there all night. I said this on some other forum, but these seniors who have been through three coaches in four years richly deserve this, and I couldn't be happier for them.

Pgb ... LOL, I asked someone tonight if they were on uscho.com, trying to figure out who you are. Maybe next home game. I think you know who I am, but I don't know who you are and it's driving me nuts.
    The difference is that OSU is going to get better in the future. Vegas is trading away good draft choices for this season. Several clubs have tried this in the past & I don't remember a case where it works in the long run.

Thread Information