Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
    From the Clarkson Hockey Roundtable Rumor mill: A co-worker was up at campus last weekend and spoke to someone "in the know" about next season. She reported that two hockey players are transferring in with one being the goalie from Ohio State. The other, whose name she couldn't remember, is a very talented player from our Connecticut rival Quinnipiac.

They person reporting other goings on in the past has been spot on.
    Interesting. Wonder who the Quinnipiac transfer is?

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      Interesting. Wonder who the Quinnipiac transfer is?
      Already reported...TT! Good luck

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
        What’s the latest with Sauve? Is it a done deal? I also saw that Cory is out in an earlier post. That would leave the Buckeyes down to two goalies. Is there another one coming in? There are no goaltenders on the commitment list for next year that I saw.
        Where did Cory go?

Comment

• Originally posted by Xcfire View Post
          Where did Cory go?
          No idea. There was mention some time ago on this site that a European goalie was committed to OSU and joining the team to take over for Sauve. Maybe that would explain why she left. Not sure if the new goalie is joining the Buckeyes for the 2018 or 2019 season? It looks like two of the top three teams in the conference last year will have new goaltenders to start the season. Interesting.

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story...of-her-dreams/

Recent Emma Maltais article, for some off season reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
              https://www.thespec.com/sports-story...of-her-dreams/

Recent Emma Maltais article, for some off season reading.
              Thank you for that read, Lindsay! This offseason can't go by quick enough! I've seen and talked to some of the girls lately. They are chomping at the bit to get the season going. They will be highly motivated this season to put it mildly. Our opponents are going to see a hungry, ****ed off team this season, and I can't wait to get it started.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                Thank you for that read, Lindsay! This offseason can't go by quick enough! I've seen and talked to some of the girls lately. They are chomping at the bit to get the season going. They will be highly motivated this season to put it mildly. Our opponents are going to see a hungry, ****ed off team this season, and I can't wait to get it started.
                I think they're going to have a hard time replicating the success they had this past season no matter how ****ed off they are. I've known some good people there but also some of the bad people that used to be there. The bad people killed what the good ones had been doing to try to succeed, so I really do hope they can continue to get better but with all the off-season departures that have been mentioned here I have a hard time believing they can be better next season than last season. It makes me wonder what really is going on behind closed doors there.
                Last edited by shelfit; 06-09-2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  I think they're going to have a hard time replicating the success they had this past season no matter how ****ed off they are. I've known some good people there but also some of the bad people that used to be there. The bad people killed what the good ones had been doing to try to succeed, so I really do hope they can continue to get better but with all the off-season departures that have been mentioned here I have a hard time believing they can be better next season than last season. It makes me wonder what really is going on behind closed doors there.
                  Time will tell, have a very good core to build around and Muzzy has shown you only need 2 lines, 3 d-man and a goalie to win !

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFan View Post
                    Time will tell, have a very good core to build around and Muzzy has shown you only need 2 lines, 3 d-man and a goalie to win !
                    Lol, I've played on teams like that too. Not so hard to do for one season to tell the truth if you have the right players but it's very hard to get two years in a row out of a roster that limited in talent. In this case their top goalie has transferred out....very big skates to fill there!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFan View Post
                      The couple of years before Muzzy arrived I thought they had done a very good job of picking off a handful of top talent, she seemed to get the most out of the rest last year. It remains to be seen how good she is at recruiting herself but she does have a solid core to work with & the recent success could easily make 2-3 years from now even better if she can leverage it. It is going to be an interesting few years in the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        I think they're going to have a hard time replicating the success they had this past season no matter how ****ed off they are.
                        True enough, but not all that useful as an insight. We're talking about a team that was one bounce (or call) from the National Title Game. Of course that's hard to replicate -- for literally every team in D-1.

I'll say this much. First, the Buckeyes won't be sneaking up on anyone next year. That raises the level of difficulty a bit. Second, as everyone on this forum knows, the returning Olympians do change the mix. Casual fans might not be aware of that.

But the team's exact level of talent, and what kind of year each player will have, are always open questions.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          True enough, but not all that useful as an insight. We're talking about a team that was one bounce (or call) from the National Title Game. Of course that's hard to replicate -- for literally every team in D-1.

I'll say this much. First, the Buckeyes won't be sneaking up on anyone next year. That raises the level of difficulty a bit. Second, as everyone on this forum knows, the returning Olympians do change the mix. Casual fans might not be aware of that.

But the team's exact level of talent, and what kind of year each player will have, are always open questions.
                          It was definitely one call! The only fans who actually think that was a good call are the Clarkson fans and OSU haters. Coach Nadine thought it was a crap call and I'll side with her over the haters every time. The Clarkson girl flopped and the ref bought it. I'll be bitter about that for a long time. I completely agree with your response regarding those who don't think Ohio State will replicate what they did last season. Lots of teams aren't going to replicate what they did last season. The other side of that would be not too many thought Ohio State would do what they did this past season, so there's that.

As for sneaking up on teams, if we snuck up on anyone last season, that's their fault. With the roster we had last season, everyone knew we were going to be good. I am aware that some teams are getting Olympians back and that will make them better. Plus, we will be without our All-American goalie, Kassidy Sauve, who was obviously a huge part of our success last season. However, I think some are going to be pleasantly (or unpleasantly if they are on the other side) surprised at how good Amanda Zeglen will be in net, provided she earns the starting job next season. With all the scoring we have coming back, whoever is in net will not have to shut everyone out. As far as the whole Olympic year thing goes, which some like to use to minimize accomplishments, come October, we're going to hang a Frozen Four Banner in the OSU Ice Rink and begin our quest to try to return and finish the job in the 2018-19 season. I don't think there will be an asterisk on the banner that reads, "*This doesn't really count the same as the Frozen Fours from other years because it was an Olympic year."

Your points are well taken and my responses are not necessarily directed at you, just comments in general. I try to take a break and stay away in the offseason, but with a couple of defections, there have been things to talk about.

For those going to the games this fall, there will be three weekends where there are home football games (10/6, 10/13, and 11/3). Ugh, three games where we'll all have to pay $20 to park and that parking will be a half-mile away from the ice rink. The girls are worth it, though!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            It was definitely one call! The only fans who actually think that was a good call are the Clarkson fans and OSU haters.
                            This simply isn't true. I didn't have a good look at it, but almost all of the neutral observers I talked to who were sitting at that end of the rink thought it was a good call.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                              This simply isn't true. I didn't have a good look at it, but almost all of the neutral observers I talked to who were sitting at that end of the rink thought it was a good call.
                              I'm neutral... I remember watching that play (and subsequent replays) and thinking it was a bad call. Those types of "interference" plays happen all of the time without getting called. Field was just the bigger, stronger player and the Clarkson girl went down awkward to where the referees "noticed it". Unfortunate call, but kudos to both teams. Hopefully someone other than Minnesota, Duluth, Wisconsin, or Clarkson can get the championship next year.

Comment

Buckeyes will fight for the 4-5 spot next year. Wisconsin and Minnesota will fight for the top spot. UMD have Rooney coming back and are a year older. Bemidji and St-Cloud will be tough. As for the Buckeyes, the losses of Sauve, Sadek and Iafollo are not insignificant. There is also a lot of noise around this team that makes you wonder what is happening behind closed doors. Don’t know about incoming players however it will be near impossible to replicate what last year’s freshmen class delivered.
                                Last edited by Puckdrop14; 06-14-2018, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X