Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

With the season exactly 33 days away and several other threads already out here, I decided it was time for me to start the Ohio State Women's Hockey thread. I came up with my sub-title for this year based on the fact that the OSU Women's Ice Hockey program has not hosted a first-round playoff series since the 2006-07 season. I believe that to be an attainable goal with the current roster, and honestly, I think the coaching staff and players will have even bigger goals than that. There is nothing wrong with lofty goals, but when attempting to build a program, I think it is good to have reachable goals as well. My memorization skills will be tested this season as I counted nine new players whose names and numbers I will have to learn! Of those nine players, seven are freshmen and the other two are transfers. As most of you are probably aware of, one of those transfers is Charly Dahlquist from the UND program that was dropped after the previous season. As for the season outlook, I don't think it is hard to figure out why the Bucks believe they can take the next step this season as only three players were lost from last year's team ... two to graduation and defenseman Katie Mikkelsen transferred to University of Guelph. The Buckeyes will return a good chunk of their scoring as well as defensemen, not to mention All-American goaltender Kassidy Sauve. Fortunately for us Ohio State fans, we will not lose players to the Olympics, at least not this time. We did have a couple of departures in the coaching staff as Assistant Coach Jessica Koizumi left to take an Associate Head Coaching position with University of Vermont and Assistant Coach Karel Popper also left the program in the offseason. So far, Ohio State has hired former Gopher defenseman Milica McMillen as one assistant. I would think they need to add at least one more assistant, but I have not heard anything as of yet. It will be difficult to recruit with one head coach and one assistant, but I believe wholeheartedly that Coach Nadine has the program moving in the right direction and if she can continue that upward trajectory with just one assistant, more power to her! I think the Buckeyes have a great shot at accomplishing some things that have not been done in a while here and I cannot wait to get things started! The girls believe in themselves. I saw a group of them a few months back at an OSU Men's Lacrosse Game. One of the players said, "We're gonna be good." I totally agreed and said, "I know." The Buckeyes do not have any exhibition games scheduled this season and will open with RPI at home on 9/29 - 9/30. They will find out right away where they stand in the league as they will head to Minneapolis to take on perennial power Minnesota the next weekend on 10/6 - 10/7. Hope to see everyone at the OSU Ice Rink this season supporting women's hockey! For those who are not aware, admission and parking are free for OSU Women's Hockey games, other than one Saturday game where OSU Football is home. Admission to the game will still be free, but you will have to pay the $20 to park. I looked that up and that situation will occur on Saturday 11/11 when OSU Football is home vs Michigan State and the OSU Women are home vs Minnesota State. Thankfully, that is the only time this season when Football will be home the same Saturday as Women's Hockey.
    Last edited by osualum86; 08-27-2017, 02:11 PM.

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-18... Home Playoffs This Season?
    Great opening post! Well done, as always.

... I came up with my sub-title for this year based on the fact that the OSU Women's Ice Hockey program has not hosted a first-round playoff series since the 2006-07 season.
    Ouch. I knew it had been quite a while, but I hadn't counted the years recently. Time to get out of denial and use this as a motivational tool.

I believe that to be an attainable goal with the current roster, and honestly, I think the coaching staff and players will have even bigger goals than that. There is nothing wrong with lofty goals, but when attempting to build a program, I think it is good to have reachable goals as well.
    Here's to hoping the lofty goals are also reachable. But I know what you mean and I agree with you.

...As most of you are probably aware of, one of those transfers is Charly Dahlquist from the UND program that was dropped after the previous season.
    Looking forward to seeing Dahlquist in the Scarlet & Gray. She didn't get one of my "3 Stars" during last year's OSU/UND series. No doubt she'll remedy that during the season ahead.

As for the season outlook, I don't think it is hard to figure out why the Bucks believe they can take the next step this season as only three players were lost from last year's team ... two to graduation and defenseman Katie Mikkelsen transferred to University of Guelph. The Buckeyes will return a good chunk of their scoring as well as defensemen, not to mention All-American goaltender Kassidy Sauve. Fortunately for us Ohio State fans, we will not lose players to the Olympics, at least not this time.
    All reasons for optimism. For similar reasons I'm anticipating that there will be more parity in the league as a whole this season.

We did have a couple of departures in the coaching staff as Assistant Coach Jessica Koizumi left to take an Associate Head Coaching position with University of Vermont and Assistant Coach Karel Popper also left the program in the offseason. So far, Ohio State has hired former Gopher defenseman Milica McMillen as one assistant. I would think they need to add at least one more assistant, but I have not heard anything as of yet.
    Has Hokey Langan's candidacy officially eneded? I suppose that's ancient history and I just never got the memo. But if you have any info, do tell.

Hope to see everyone at the OSU Ice Rink this season supporting women's hockey! For those who are not aware, admission and parking are free for OSU Women's Hockey games, other than one Saturday game where OSU Football is home. Admission to the game will still be free, but you will have to pay the $20 to park. I looked that up and that situation will occur on Saturday 11/11 when OSU Football is home vs Michigan State and the OSU Women are home vs Minnesota State. Thankfully, that is the only time this season when Football will be home the same Saturday as Women's Hockey.
    And even when it does happen, the opening face-off time is set so that getting in and out of campus for the hockey game is manageable. For some, the 20 dollars may be an issue; and I certainly respect that. But no one should skip the 11/11 game due to a mistaken belief that they can't get to the rink.

Comment

Pgb ... Welcome back! I have not heard anything about Hokey lately other than something went awry with the whole work visa thing. I was told it was Ohio State's fault, but I don't really have the details, nor do I know how that works, so I can't really say too much. My understanding was that Ohio State decided to go in a different direction at the time and did not pursue it any further. It's a shame because I think Hokey would have been a great addition to the coaching staff. I am hopeful that maybe Ohio State will revisit that. I think it would be a good thing to have a former Buckeye on the staff.

As for those "lofty" goals, I think a home playoff series and a trip to the Final Face-off are definitely reachable. And hey, with a backstop like Kassidy Sauve, you never know! She can steal games for us! If we can just get her two or three goals, we will have a chance to win a lot of games this season.

As for Charly, I feel bad that her original program was dropped. I hate to see any student-athlete have the rug pulled out from under their feet like that, but I am thrilled that she is going to be a Buckeye and cannot wait to see her in Scarlet & Gray!

I agree with you regarding the parity in the league. Should be some exciting games this season.

As for the football conflict, I like to warn folks ahead of time for that reason ... so they know that other than the $20 parking and maybe having to park in a grass lot over by the Olentangy River, or one of the ag campus lots, they can get to the hockey game at the ice rink. I would love to see some football fans show up and pack the OSU Ice Rink to cheer on the ladies for that Minnesota State game.

One more thing, I am stoked that the wife and I get to take three road trips this season! In addition to our annual trip to Madison, we are also taking advantage of the close road trips to Pittsburgh and Erie this season for weekend series against Robert Morris and Mercyhurst! And it all starts in 31 days!!!!

Comment

I think UW and UM are there for the taking this year with the graduations and National Team losses, I don't see them just running away with 1st and 2nd.

I am excited to see Kepler on the ice for UW. It's great that the home town girl was able to realize her dream and play for UW. It's very impressive she was named Captain on a team she has only been on 1 year and hasn't played in a live game yet. Apparently during the initial recruiting UW wanted her but did not have any $$ for her and she could have walked on, so she decided to take the $$ and go to OSU, which I don't blame her for doing, it's a great school as well.

Who did OSU add to the schedule for fill the the sue games? Any quality opponents? UW not so much.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          I think UW and UM are there for the taking this year with the graduations and National Team losses, I don't see them just running away with 1st and 2nd.

I am excited to see Kepler on the ice for UW. It's great that the home town girl was able to realize her dream and play for UW. It's very impressive she was named Captain on a team she has only been on 1 year and hasn't played in a live game yet. Apparently during the initial recruiting UW wanted her but did not have any $$ for her and she could have walked on, so she decided to take the $$ and go to OSU, which I don't blame her for doing, it's a great school as well.

Who did OSU add to the schedule for fill the the sue games? Any quality opponents? UW not so much.
          I have to admit, it is going to be strange seeing Claudia in a Wisconsin sweater, but I am happy for her. We will be making the trip up to Madison in a couple months (I can say a couple months now since it is September), so we will see you there! Back to Claudia, I think it says a lot about the kind of leader she is that she was voted captain on a team that she has yet to play a single game for. I cannot wait to see her! As for fill-in games, we are playing Robert Morris four times this season instead of the usual two. We are in Pittsburgh over Thanksgiving weekend and they come to Columbus in January if I am not mistaken. We are also playing Mercyhurst in Erie during the second weekend in December. As I alluded to in my other post, it will make for some nice, short road trips (as opposed to the long ones in the WCHA). We can get to Pittsburgh and Erie in a few hours from where we are.

Comment

If I am not mistaken the team does not have to improve at all to attain the goal you are in search of. Given the first place WCHA league winner will get a bye in the first round, finishing fourth gets you a first round home game. Without ND that is where they would have finished last year. I think a top 3 WCHA placement and a top 10 national ranking would be a nice move forward for this team. After that a berth to the big dance would be great.
            Last edited by EPIC97; 09-01-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EPIC97 View Post
              If I am not mistaken the team does not have to improve at all to attain the goal you are in search of. Given the first place WCHA league winner will get a bye in the first round, finishing fourth gets you a first round home game. Without ND that is where they would have finished last year.
              You're correct, of course. I feel a little sheepish that this didn't occur to me until you pointed it out.

There was certainly no intent to d*mn the team with faint praise. Home playoff games just sounded so appealing. As has already been documented, there has been a bit of a drought in this regard.

I think a top 3 WCHA placement and a top 10 national ranking would be a nice move forward for this team.
              Yes. And as you've effectively pointed out, this would just be one step up the ladder, as opposed to a lofty goal.

After that a berth to the big dance would be great.
              Now we're getting a little loftier, but I agree completely!

Comment

Originally posted by EPIC97 View Post
                If I am not mistaken the team does not have to improve at all to attain the goal you are in search of. Given the first place WCHA league winner will get a bye in the first round, finishing fourth gets you a first round home game. Without ND that is where they would have finished last year. I think a top 3 WCHA placement and a top 10 national ranking would be a nice move forward for this team. After that a berth to the big dance would be great.
                Technically, you are correct without UND in the league now, although I am sure St. Cloud, Bemidji, and Minnesota State are also thinking they can finish in that fourth spot, so it is not a given. We will need to earn it. Finishing in the top 3 would definitely be a nice step forward, and someday soon, maybe an NCAA Tournament appearance. I believe Coach Nadine has us moving in that direction and I cannot wait to get this season started!

Comment

Breaking News: Ohio State Will Host the South Korean Olympic Team at the Ice Rink on Tuesday, Sept. 26th. Face-off is 7:07PM.

To the best of my recollection, this will be the earliest opening day in program history. Should be a fun way to start the season.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Breaking News: Ohio State Will Host the South Korean Olympic Team at the Ice Rink on Tuesday, Sept. 26th. Face-off is 7:07PM.

To the best of my recollection, this will be the earliest opening day in program history. Should be a fun way to start the season.
                    They play UW on the 16th, it will be an interesting mega early measuring stick.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

Two weeks from tomorrow! Get the countdown going ... 15 days 4 hours 35 minutes!

Comment

I've also been meaning to mention that it will be interesting to see how it shakes for X-osu recruit Breanna Blesi. Any backstory known as why she's coming to UW instead of OSU (besides the obvious answer)

Comment

I think it had something to do with playing time. Same reason Gardner and Kepler gave for their poaching.

Comment

Wow, didn't see Sauve being the predicted player of the year. It will be hard for her to win that is OSU is under .500.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X