Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    It is quite obvious that she is still not healthy.
    Don’t discount the fact that Jess Dunne was lost for the year. She was the one constant defensive D they had. Right now the only reliable defensive defender they have is Jincy Dunne. The other D are all about offense. The team gives up way too many odd man rushes relying on their goaltending. The team is not strong down the middle making for quality slot chances. They will need to keep scoring at a high pace to win games. Fun to watch though.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
      Don’t discount the fact that Jess Dunne was lost for the year. She was the one constant defensive D they had. Right now the only reliable defensive defender they have is Jincy Dunne. The other D are all about offense. The team gives up way too many odd man rushes relying on their goaltending. The team is not strong down the middle making for quality slot chances. They will need to keep scoring at a high pace to win games. Fun to watch though.
      Jess Dunne is a huge loss for the team. They miss her presence defensively without a doubt. Their defensive corps are all offensive and surprised that you would call Jincy a "defensive defender" as she is likely the most talented offensive defenseman they have. As you say fun to watch but likely tough to be a forward on this team.

Comment

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Jess Dunne is a huge loss for the team. They miss her presence defensively without a doubt. Their defensive corps are all offensive and surprised that you would call Jincy a "defensive defender" as she is likely the most talented offensive defenseman they have. As you say fun to watch but likely tough to be a forward on this team.
        I would suggest you are being overly critical, most teams would be more than happy to have the defenders that Ohio State have at this time. Best defence is a good offence ! Go Bucks Go !

Comment

Originally posted by BigFan View Post
          I would suggest you are being overly critical, most teams would be more than happy to have the defenders that Ohio State have at this time. Best defence is a good offence ! Go Bucks Go !
          I am not being critical,I am simply stating a fact. They will win their fair share of games this year however if they want to win when it truly matters, they can't play like they are now. Defense does matter.

Comment

I am not being critical,I am simply stating a fact. They will win their fair share of games this year however if they want to win when it truly matters, they can't play like they are now. Defense does matter.
            Agree completely. IMHO Jincy Dunne is the best player in the WCHA this year. She makes it look so easy. Its too bad she has to focus so much on playing defensive hockey due to team defensive liabilities (not a lot of back checking by some of the top 2 lines) that the team loses her offensive ability. It should be noted that 2 of the defense committed as forwards (Halvorson and Wesloh). I wonder if the coaching staff is regretting the decision to renege on the commitment to Skyler Podvey, much to St. Lawrence's benefit.

Comment

A big battle tonight between two top ten teams didn't turn out to be much of a battle. Ohio State silenced the critics with a convincing 7-3 win on the road over 9th-ranked Robert Morris. The Buckeyes came out on fire, taking a 4-0 lead into the first intermission, and never looked back. The shots on goal were fairly even with the Colonials actually outshooting the Buckeyes 33-30. Buckeye goalie Kassidy Sauve stopped 30 of the 33 shots she faced and for Robert Morris, Elija Milne-Price stopped 5 of the 9 shots she saw in the first period, then was pulled in favor of Lauren Bailey, who stopped 18 of the 21 shots she faced in the second and third periods. Robert Morris' goals were scored by Aneta Ledlova, Anjelica Diffendal, and Brittany Howard. The Buckeye goals were scored by Liz Schepers, Grace Zarzecki, Dani Sadek, Tatum Skaggs (3), and Charly Dahlquist. Skaggs' three goals were scored in a row, making it a natural hat trick for the freshman forward. Tomorrow's game figures to be tougher for the Buckeyes. The two teams are back at it with game time being 2:05.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                Skaggs' three goals were scored in a row, making it a natural hat trick for the freshman forward.
                Lédlová scored after her first goal, so it isn't a natural hat trick, but a regular hat trick is a fine accomplishment on its own. Congratulations to Skaggs.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Lédlová scored after her first goal, so it isn't a natural hat trick, but a regular hat trick is a fine accomplishment on its own. Congratulations to Skaggs.
                  And the Buckeyes - big win.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Shoot, that is right. Thanks for the correction. I missed that goal by RMU in between. Things were quite a bit different today as the Colonials rebounded for a big win of their own ... 3-2 in OT. Robert Morris outshot the Buckeyes today 41-26, likely due to their six power plays to the Buckeyes' two. I am not going to blame a close loss on that as the Buckeyes need to learn to play smarter. Coach Nadine Muzerall was not happy with our performance today and needless to say, one of the players afterward said she was not looking forward to practices this week. Give credit to the Colonials as they played much better today and the Buckeyes just could not finish around the net when they had chances like they had done the night before, not to mention the ill-advised penalties. The game-winner for Robert Morris came on a 5-on-3 in OT. Tough to stop a 5-on-3. The Buckeyes will get another crack at RMU when they come to Columbus for a pair of games in January. Buckeye netminder Kassidy Sauve stopped 38 of the 41 shots she faced. Elija Milne-Price was back in net for the Colonials and she stopped 24 of the 26 shots she faced. Scoring for the Buckeyes were Emma Maltais and Julianna Iafallo. The Colonial goals were scored by Lexi Templeman and Brittany Howard (2). The Buckeyes are back in action in the WCHA next weekend as they welcome St. Cloud to the OSU Ice Arena while Robert Morris will host Mercyhurst.
                    Last edited by osualum86; 11-25-2017, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I regularly read the 'Wednesday Women' blog. In my Friday night game post, when I used the phrase "silenced the critics," I was not talking about any of you. I was talking about some of these uscho.com writers who continue to act like Ohio State is not for real. Here is an excerpt from this week's Wednesday Women to illustrate this and a nice retort from one of the other writers.

Candace Horgan: I mentioned Robert Morris earlier. The Colonials split with Ohio State. The Buckeyes have seemed to be fading over the last few weeks, but that’s still an important win for the Colonials. It also actually helps Ohio State in the PairWise comparisons. What did that series tell you about both teams right now?

Arlan Marttila: I’ve heard that perception from others as well that Ohio State seems to be fading, but I’m not really sure where that comes from. The Buckeyes are almost at the halfway point of the season, and they have just the one loss to a team other than Wisconsin. An overtime loss on the road to a ranked opponent isn’t all that ****ing. The toughest portion of the schedule is behind them. A four-week stretch does loom starting on January 12 where they play Robert Morris, Minnesota, UMD, and Wisconsin in succession, but three of those series are in Columbus. Overall, only three of Ohio State’s remaining nine series are on the road.

Big shoutout to Arlan for rebutting this continued rhetoric that "Ohio State is fading." 11-3-2 and they're fading. Well, alrighty then!! As Arlan said, two losses to #1 Wisconsin, and a split on the road vs #9 Robert Morris. We had a couple of games in there vs Minnesota State that were closer than some probably expected when Kassidy Sauve was out with an injury, and we had a four-point weekend at Bemidji where we tied, then lost the extra point in a shootout before winning the second game outright. Bottom line, if 11-3-2 is "fading" then dang, I hope we continue "fading" for the rest of the season. Ok, everyone, thank you for putting up with me and letting me vent. I know, I know, act like I have been there before. Well, us OSU fans, we "haven't been there before," so maybe my good friends who are fans of Minnesota and Wisconsin can help me out on that! We have a couple of games this weekend against St. Cloud and I cannot wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink this weekend for those! Need to get six points, need to earn six points. Cannot take the Huskies for granted just because we swept them on the road with two 4-0 shutouts. They will come down here with their 'A' game and we need to bring our 'A' game, too! After the OT loss to RMU Saturday and a subsequently hard week of practices, I am sure our kids will be ready to go. Take care everyone and enjoy a great weekend of Women's Hockey! Talk to you tomorrow night when I get home from the game!!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                        I don't know about the rest of you, but I regularly read the 'Wednesday Women' blog. In my Friday night game post, when I used the phrase "silenced the critics," I was not talking about any of you. I was talking about some of these uscho.com writers who continue to act like Ohio State is not for real. Here is an excerpt from this week's Wednesday Women to illustrate this and a nice retort from one of the other writers.

Candace Horgan: I mentioned Robert Morris earlier. The Colonials split with Ohio State. The Buckeyes have seemed to be fading over the last few weeks, but that’s still an important win for the Colonials. It also actually helps Ohio State in the PairWise comparisons. What did that series tell you about both teams right now?

Arlan Marttila: I’ve heard that perception from others as well that Ohio State seems to be fading, but I’m not really sure where that comes from. The Buckeyes are almost at the halfway point of the season, and they have just the one loss to a team other than Wisconsin. An overtime loss on the road to a ranked opponent isn’t all that ****ing. The toughest portion of the schedule is behind them. A four-week stretch does loom starting on January 12 where they play Robert Morris, Minnesota, UMD, and Wisconsin in succession, but three of those series are in Columbus. Overall, only three of Ohio State’s remaining nine series are on the road.

Big shoutout to Arlan for rebutting this continued rhetoric that "Ohio State is fading." 11-3-2 and they're fading. Well, alrighty then!! As Arlan said, two losses to #1 Wisconsin, and a split on the road vs #9 Robert Morris. We had a couple of games in there vs Minnesota State that were closer than some probably expected when Kassidy Sauve was out with an injury, and we had a four-point weekend at Bemidji where we tied, then lost the extra point in a shootout before winning the second game outright. Bottom line, if 11-3-2 is "fading" then dang, I hope we continue "fading" for the rest of the season. Ok, everyone, thank you for putting up with me and letting me vent. I know, I know, act like I have been there before. Well, us OSU fans, we "haven't been there before," so maybe my good friends who are fans of Minnesota and Wisconsin can help me out on that! We have a couple of games this weekend against St. Cloud and I cannot wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink this weekend for those! Need to get six points, need to earn six points. Cannot take the Huskies for granted just because we swept them on the road with two 4-0 shutouts. They will come down here with their 'A' game and we need to bring our 'A' game, too! After the OT loss to RMU Saturday and a subsequently hard week of practices, I am sure our kids will be ready to go. Take care everyone and enjoy a great weekend of Women's Hockey! Talk to you tomorrow night when I get home from the game!!
                        Might want to take a valium or two before the games.
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          Women's hockey could use more enthusiastic fans like osualum86!
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                            LOL, it wasn't at an OSU Women's Hockey game, but at a different sporting event, a buddy of mine asked me if I ever had my blood pressure checked. I told him I do have it checked regularly, and surprisingly, it is normal!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Women's hockey could use more enthusiastic fans like osualum86!
                              Thanks for the kind words D2D!!

Comment

Tonight's game needed 65 minutes and it still was not decided so they went into a shootout where the Buckeyes prevailed in the fifth round on a goal by junior forward Grace Zarzecki to earn two points. Give the Huskies credit tonight. They came out firing and went up 2-0 after one period. Ohio State came back with single goals in the second and third periods to tie it, and had chances to win it, but just could not get a third goal past St. Cloud goaltender Janine Alder, at least not until the shootout. From an Ohio State point of view, it was not the Bucks best game. It seemed like this week's aforementioned hard practices (after the loss to RMU in OT last Saturday) took a toll on Ohio State as the girls seemed to not have their legs tonight. Fatigue may have been a factor with the sloppy puck management as well tonight. I don't want to make excuses for tonight's performance or take anything away from the Huskies, it was just what I observed during the game tonight. I have seen a number of games this season where the Buckeyes have played better than they did tonight. Hopefully they get their legs back under them and come out firing tomorrow. Give St. Cloud credit, they were a determined team tonight, and as I alluded to earlier, they brought their game tonight and jumped on the Buckeyes. The Husky goals were scored by Abby Thiessen and former Buckeye Dana Rasmussen. It was really nice to talk to her and her parents after the game. Dana played for the Bucks as a freshman in the 2015-16 season, then transferred to St. Cloud State. Per WCHA rules, she had to sit last season but is seeing plenty of action at forward for the Huskies as a redshirt sophomore this season. After the first two St. Cloud goals, Buckeye netminder Kassidy Sauve shut the door on the Huskies the rest of the night. Ohio State's goals were scored by Tatum Skaggs and Julianna Iafallo. Neither team scored in the overtime period so it went to a shootout. Kassidy Sauve stopped all five St. Cloud shots she faced in the shootout and the Buckeyes' Grace Zarzecki ended it in the 5th round. Ohio State outshot St. Cloud 43-31. Both backstops were pretty staunch tonight with St. Cloud's Janine Alder stopping 41 of the 43 shots she faced and the Buckeyes' Kassidy Sauve stopping 29 of the 31 shots she faced. The teams are back at it tomorrow with game time at 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

Working...
                                X