Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Pgb, gonna need you to talk me off the ledge again.
    OK, how about this. As evidenced by the thread title, one goal at the start of the season was to get home ice for the playoffs. That's going to happen. Consider:

The Maximum Number of Standings Points That Can Be Earned:
    UMD= 39
    Bemidji State=42
    Minnesota=50
    Ohio State=55

Next, Ohio State's Current Point is 37, With 6 Games Remaining. Therefore:

To Clinch 4th Place, The Buckeyes Need 3 Points (1 Win) In The Next 6 Games.
    To Clinch 3rd Place, The Buckeyes Need 6 Points (2 Wins). Or, Simply Beating Bemidji Once Does The Trick.

Unless we lose out, we're going to finish in 3rd Place or better. I will allow that if we finish the regular season with an 8 game losing streak, I'll join you on the ledge and we can jump together.

Finishing 2nd Is Still Very Doable:
    To Clinch 2nd Place, The Buckeyes Need 14 of the 18 Points Available.

That sounds more daunting. But there is a more comforting way of looking at this. Both OSU & MN have a series remaining against the Badgers. So the winning formula would be to match the Gophers' results against the Badgers, then win 9 of the 12 available points against Mankato & Bemidji.

Still on the ledge?

Last night OSU Men's Hockey completed a sweep against Michigan. If that doesn't put a smile on your face until next weekend, nothing will!

Go Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      The Bulldogs had much better chances and they capitalized on Buckeye mistakes. Many shots were taken from the outside and were not dangerous. It looked like the Buckeyes were just holding for most of the game. The Bulldogs were deserving of the win in my view. I was hoping to see more from the Buckeyes this weekend after last weekend’s big sweep but they looked flat. A win against the Badgers will get them back on track.
      Puckdrop14, you make an interesting point about the Buckeyes looking flat. As I indicated earlier, I did not see either game, but the way this season has gone, the Bucks do very well against teams that they are not supposed to beat. They love the underdog role and perform well when they are the underdogs. However, in a series like this one where they are expected to sweep, they seem to struggle. Thankfully for us, we somehow came out of this sweep still setting at 5th in the pairwise. Not sure how that even happens. As for next weekend, I would not put it past this team to get points. They will be the underdogs, the writers here at uscho.com will pick Wisconsin to sweep, and our team will play inspired hockey. Needless to say, I will be concerned about the series after this weekend vs Minnesota State and Bemidji because we will be the favorites vs those teams and we have struggled in those situations this season. I know I have said this before, so forgive me if I sound like a broken record, but sometimes I just do not think our team realizes that they are the hunted now and that teams are stepping their games up against us. For whatever reason, we struggle when we are the favorites. We need to get back to beating teams we are supposed to beat. Need to bring our A game every night moving forward if we want to accomplish our goals. I know our girls have some goals that exceed my thread title of just getting a home playoff series. I really believe they can accomplish whatever goals they have set for themselves, but they need to bring it against everyone, not just when they are playing top ten teams like Minnesota, Wisconsin, or RMU.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        OK, how about this. As evidenced by the thread title, one goal at the start of the season was to get home ice for the playoffs. That's going to happen. Consider:

The Maximum Number of Standings Points That Can Be Earned:
        UMD= 39
        Bemidji State=42
        Minnesota=50
        Ohio State=55

Next, Ohio State's Current Point is 37, With 6 Games Remaining. Therefore:

To Clinch 4th Place, The Buckeyes Need 3 Points (1 Win) In The Next 6 Games.
        To Clinch 3rd Place, The Buckeyes Need 6 Points (2 Wins). Or, Simply Beating Bemidji Once Does The Trick.

Unless we lose out, we're going to finish in 3rd Place or better. I will allow that if we finish the regular season with an 8 game losing streak, I'll join you on the ledge and we can jump together.

Finishing 2nd Is Still Very Doable:
        To Clinch 2nd Place, The Buckeyes Need 14 of the 18 Points Available.

That sounds more daunting. But there is a more comforting way of looking at this. Both OSU & MN have a series remaining against the Badgers. So the winning formula would be to match the Gophers' results against the Badgers, then win 9 of the 12 available points against Mankato & Bemidji.

Still on the ledge?

Last night OSU Men's Hockey completed a sweep against Michigan. If that doesn't put a smile on your face until next weekend, nothing will!

Go Bucks.
        I am fine now. My problem is I need to listen to Mrs 86 and stay away from the keyboard after a big emotional loss, or in this case, a big emotional sweep. I absolutely love our kids and our coaching staff. They have brought me and other fans so much joy this season. Regardless of how things end up, it is likely going to be the best OSU Women's Hockey season ever.

I would like to see us get that second spot back because I would rather see Minnesota State in the first round of the playoffs than St. Cloud. I do agree that we are not going to fall to 4th. We are going to finish no lower than 3rd, and ultimately, provided we play up to our capabilities, I think we overtake Minnesota for 2nd place. Minnesota only has four league games left and two of them are at Wisconsin.

And lastly, yes, I was aware of the men's season sweep of Michigan! The girls made history vs Minnesota last weekend and I would have to look it up, but I believe the men did this past weekend because I am not sure the men have ever had a season sweep vs Michigan. That was a hot Michigan club, too, that had crept up to third in the standings right behind us, so those were good wins. I shouldn't be spending this much time talking about our men on the women's forum, but they are playing some very good hockey right now.

In case anyone wonders why I am so late with this and what the bleep am I doing posting at 4:00 in the morning, Mrs 86 and I took the opportunity with the girls on the road at Duluth to go up to Toronto and see former Buckeye Danielle Gagne playing for the Toronto Furies of the CWHL. The Furies swept Calgary, which was the first time all season that they had won two games in a row. We were told by a couple people associated with the team that we now had to come up to every home game! So, after getting a bite to eat after the game today (it was a 1:00 start), we headed home and just arrived here not that long ago. I got back on here expecting to be jumped on for my "talk me off the ledge" comment, and honestly, if that would have been the case, I would have said, yeah, I deserved that, but thanks to everyone for dealing with my episodes with the kid gloves! I love this team and I just get a little emotional and feel bad for them when I know they don't perform as well as they wanted to. Well, I gotta get off here. Gotta go catch up on facebook and twitter. Goodnight everyone!
        Last edited by osualum86; 01-29-2018, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

Mrs 86 and I took the opportunity with the girls on the road at Duluth to go up to Toronto and see former Buckeye Danielle Gagne playing for the Toronto Furies of the CWHL. The Furies swept Calgary, which was the first time all season that they had won two games in a row. We were told by a couple people associated with the team that we now had to come up to every home game! So, after getting a bite to eat after the game today (it was a 1:00 start), we headed home and just arrived here not that long ago. I got back on here expecting to be jumped on for my "talk me off the ledge" comment, and honestly, if that would have been the case, I would have said, yeah, I deserved that, but thanks to everyone for dealing with my episodes with the kid gloves! I love this team and I just get a little emotional and feel bad for them when I know they don't perform as well as they wanted to. Well, I gotta get off here. Gotta go catch up on facebook and twitter. Goodnight everyone!
          That is really cool that you traveled to watch a CWHL game. I’m curious, how was the atmosphere and hockey, as compared to NCAA hockey? I understand Canadiennes get great support, not sure how the others fare.

Comment

Meant to add one other thing. I mostly lurk on this thread, but it is fantastic and has been for years. Keep it up, and no one jump off any ledges.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
              That is really cool that you traveled to watch a CWHL game. I’m curious, how was the atmosphere and hockey, as compared to NCAA hockey? I understand Canadiennes get great support, not sure how the others fare.
              Lindsay, I think the hockey is good. I think a good NCAA team could certainly compete with the CWHL teams, especially in a year like this one where the CWHL teams are missing Olympians just like some NCAA teams are. I don't remember the exact team or who they played, but I know in the past one of the CWHL teams had an exhibition game vs an NCAA team. I would love to see Ohio State take on the Furies, especially next season when the Furies have Natalie Spooner and their two other Olympians back (Renata Fast and Laura Stacey). I tried to find the attendance figure for you, but none of the box scores had the attendance. There was a good crowd for yesterday's game. There may have been 1,000 people there. SportsNet, who is one of the sponsors for the CWHL, was doing the game, so in order for it to look good on tv, they had everyone sit on the one side, and it was pretty packed. The hockey was good, but it would be that much better if the girls were paid a living wage and that was all they did. With their day jobs, they are only able to get together and practice a couple nights a week. I think the hockey would be really great if that was their full-time job and they practiced everyday like the NCAA teams. I think that is where an NCAA team would have a little bit of an advantage vs a CWHL team or an NWHL team. They get to practice everyday, so I would expect an NCAA team to be sharper.

Comment

Meant to add one other thing. I mostly lurk on this thread, but it is fantastic and has been for years. Keep it up, and no one jump off any ledges.
                Thank you for the kind words about this thread. A lot of us have spoken to each other at the games. Since we have met face-to-face, it makes the discussions more civil on here, which is what I like. There have been some in the past who think I am a cheerleader because I don't get on here and rip the girls or the coaches, but I see them and talk to them every home game and some road games. Sometimes if I have a day off, I might even go down and watch practice. I know how hard they work and what the older girls have gone through with all the coaching changes. When they lose, no one feels worse than the players and coaches so I am not going to get on here and pile on. I expect the girls to have a great week of practice and play inspired hockey this weekend against the Badgers. We'll see if they are rewarded with some points, but if they aren't, I know it will not be due to lack of effort. And yeah, I have backed away from the ledge! Thank you again for the kind words. I try my best to promote OSU Women's Hockey. If you ever want to see stories or interviews, we have an OSU Hockey fan page on facebook called The Scarlet Liners. I try to link a lot of the women's hockey stuff in there when I see stories or interviews. Most of the stuff I put in there is just stuff I share from ohiostatebuckeyes.com, the Ohio State Women's Hockey fb page, or their twitter feed, but it gets everything in one spot if nothing else. We have actually taken bus trips in the past to men's games. My dream would be to have enough interest that we could take a bus trip to one of the women's games.

Comment

Lindsay, I think the hockey is good. I think a good NCAA team could certainly compete with the CWHL teams, especially in a year like this one where the CWHL teams are missing Olympians just like some NCAA teams are. I don't remember the exact team or who they played, but I know in the past one of the CWHL teams had an exhibition game vs an NCAA team. ... I think the hockey would be really great if that was their full-time job and they practiced everyday like the NCAA teams. I think that is where an NCAA team would have a little bit of an advantage vs a CWHL team or an NWHL team. They get to practice everyday, so I would expect an NCAA team to be sharper.
                  Ah yes, I remember reading it was going to be televised on SportsNet. It’s kind of a bucket list thing for me to watch either a Toronto or Markham or Montreal CWHL game one day. I would like to watch it in a year when it’s loaded with Olympians. Watched a bit of a CW game this summer on an archived stream. I could not believe the speed, it was so fast.

I’m not sure if the CW teams still play college teams although in the first year of the NW they played some college teams. I’m just not sure what OSU would have to gain from a Furies Buckeyes game, as fun as it would be to watch. I think you might have to wait for an alumni game to see Spooner and Buckeyes again. The NCAA kids would have the benefit of everyday practice but early in the season I think most freshmen would be out matched by a CWHL squad. Next year I will I have to pay more attention when exhibitions are being played, see if the pro teams play the college kids at all.

Pretty amazing the pro leagues exist now, meager as the payouts are. I try to imagine what and where the Olympians played between 1998 and 2002... wow times have changed.

Comment

Sometimes if I have a day off, I might even go down and watch practice. I know how hard they work and what the older girls have gone through with all the coaching changes.
                    ...My dream would be to have enough interest that we could take a bus trip to one of the women's games.
                    Very cool. It’s nice just to be in a rink, eh? I’m at a phase in my life where I don’t get to go to a rink much which is totally ok, but I look forward to getting to watch lots of live hockey again one day. My daughter is four so maybe soon, if she likes hockey.

As for this senior class and what they’ve been through with coaching turnover, I feel for them. I am a Mercyhurst fan throughout, but care about women’s hockey on the whole. My hope would be that there are 35 well run programs so that every girl who gets the opportunity to play D1 hockey has a shot at a positive experience. I hope things have improved for the OSU girls in the past two years.

If OSU can hang on and get a final 8 berth, you might get your bus trip, or at least another fun road trip soon. Good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

Ah yes, I remember reading it was going to be televised on SportsNet. It’s kind of a bucket list thing for me to watch either a Toronto or Markham or Montreal CWHL game one day. I would like to watch it in a year when it’s loaded with Olympians. Watched a bit of a CW game this summer on an archived stream. I could not believe the speed, it was so fast.

I’m not sure if the CW teams still play college teams although in the first year of the NW they played some college teams. I’m just not sure what OSU would have to gain from a Furies Buckeyes game, as fun as it would be to watch. I think you might have to wait for an alumni game to see Spooner and Buckeyes again. The NCAA kids would have the benefit of everyday practice but early in the season I think most freshmen would be out matched by a CWHL squad. Next year I will I have to pay more attention when exhibitions are being played, see if the pro teams play the college kids at all.

Pretty amazing the pro leagues exist now, meager as the payouts are. I try to imagine what and where the Olympians played between 1998 and 2002... wow times have changed.
                      The hockey is amazing, especially when the Olympians are playing. My wife and I have been to a couple Clarkson Cups and it is amazing. $15 per ticket for those games is really a great price, especially in the years when the Olympians are playing. All the girls come out after the games for pictures and autographs. They really appreciate their fans, and that goes for the CWHL or NWHL. Honestly, I would love to see the two league champions play each other, kind of a Super Bowl of women's hockey, then maybe someday the two leagues could merge. Times have definitely changed. I mean, when we first started going to the women's games 10-15 years ago or so, there were maybe a handful of girls who were really gifted at shooting and handling the puck. Now they can all skate fast, shoot, and handle the puck. I just did a 'Skate With The Team' last weekend after the Saturday game vs Minnesota. Everytime I get out there and try to do a little skating myself, I realize how good they are and wish I could skate half as well as the girls!

Comment

Very cool. It’s nice just to be in a rink, eh? I’m at a phase in my life where I don’t get to go to a rink much which is totally ok, but I look forward to getting to watch lots of live hockey again one day. My daughter is four so maybe soon, if she likes hockey.

As for this senior class and what they’ve been through with coaching turnover, I feel for them. I am a Mercyhurst fan throughout, but care about women’s hockey on the whole. My hope would be that there are 35 well run programs so that every girl who gets the opportunity to play D1 hockey has a shot at a positive experience. I hope things have improved for the OSU girls in the past two years.

If OSU can hang on and get a final 8 berth, you might get your bus trip, or at least another fun road trip soon. Good luck the rest of the way.
                        I have to admit, that second game vs Mercyhurst was brutal ... at least if you were there and are an OSU fan! 4-2 lead with 6 or 7 minutes to go in the game and we lose 6-4. It was a fun road trip, though, and we enjoyed seeing all the stuff in the trophy case about Meghan Agosta. The weather was sort of nasty that weekend with all that lake-effect snow, but we got up there and back home in one piece.

I completely agree with you on every young lady who wants to play D1 having a positive experience! One of our players, Charly Dahlquist, played for North Dakota for her first two years, then had the rug pulled out from under her when they suddenly dropped their women's hockey program. I am very happy that Charly found a home here at Ohio State, but I feel bad that she had to go through that. We also got Peter Elander from North Dakota as one of our assistant coaches. Peter knows the game and has been a wonderful addition to the coaching staff. I can tell you that things have definitely improved for the kids both on and off the ice. The girls really like the coaches and play hard for them, and off the ice, the girls are the best of friends. They all really love each other and are a close-knit group. They play for the coaches and for each other. It has been a special season and I will be sad when it ends. I don't know about a bus trip just yet, but you can bet I have been google mapping some potential destinations to see how far I am going to have to drive to see them. An NCAA Tournament berth is not a given, there is still work to do, but they are definitely headed in the right direction, despite the setback of being swept this past weekend vs UMD. I will admit, I am not 100% sure how the pairwise works, although there was a great discussion about that on this thread recently, but we are still setting in 5th place, so unless something earth-shattering happens, and provided we win the games we are supposed to win and do not stub our toes vs teams we should beat, I think the NCAA Tournament is a very real possibility for this program this season. We'll see. I need to not look too far ahead, but then, as a fan, I am allowed to look ahead. It's the players and coaches who have to take it one game at a time! Well, Lindsay, I need to hit it. Talk to you and all my other friends on here tomorrow!

Comment

It's going to be easy to go through the box score tonight because only one goal was scored. In what turned out to be a very exciting game between two of the best teams in the country, the Buckeyes got the game's only goal early in the second period and All-American goaltender Kassidy Sauve made it stand with a 26-save shutout of the #1 Badgers. The game-winning goal was scored by Buckeye freshman forward Emma Maltais. Hats off to Badger netminder Kristen Campbell who stopped 26 of the 27 shots she faced, including an absolute barrage in the second period where Ohio State outshot the Badgers 21-2. The shots on goal ended up almost even in the end at 27-26. Other than that second period, Wisconsin came out firing and outshot the Buckeyes 12-2 in the opening period, then came the second period where Ohio State absolutely dominated. The Badgers came out in the third period and outshot the Buckeyes 12-4 for the final totals of 27-26. According to the recap on ohiostatebuckeyes.com, this was only the second time all season that Wisconsin has been outshot by an opponent. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            It's going to be easy to go through the box score tonight because only one goal was scored. In what turned out to be a very exciting game between two of the best teams in the country, the Buckeyes got the game's only goal early in the second period and All-American goaltender Kassidy Sauve made it stand with a 26-save shutout of the #1 Badgers. The game-winning goal was scored by Buckeye freshman forward Emma Maltais. Hats off to Badger netminder Kristen Campbell who stopped 26 of the 27 shots she faced, including an absolute barrage in the second period where Ohio State outshot the Badgers 21-2. The shots on goal ended up almost even in the end at 27-26. Other than that second period, Wisconsin came out firing and outshot the Buckeyes 12-2 in the opening period, then came the second period where Ohio State absolutely dominated. The Badgers came out in the third period and outshot the Buckeyes 12-4 for the final totals of 27-26. According to the recap on ohiostatebuckeyes.com, this was only the second time all season that Wisconsin has been outshot by an opponent. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm.
                            Beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              Beauty.
                              It sure was a beauty, and it wasn't that Wisconsin played bad, they were very good tonight just like they have been all season. Both netminders were stingy.

Comment

What I find hilarious is that this Gopher fan has been saying all year that the Buckeyes are a very real threat. Even when they threw a clinker I have been a bigger fan of the team than some OSU supporters here. Give that program a little more time & there will be fewer clinkers and, yes, there will be final four appearances. I'd love to see you guys in the championship game . . . losing to MN of course but still

UMD is about the same place in development. BSU, SCSU has shown improvement and MSU has had flashes. There are going to be a lot more exciting games in the future and painful losses all around. I would not be surprised to see the WCHA champ with 4-5 losses and a few ties.

Comment

Working...
                                X