Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
    Hopefully someone other than Minnesota, Duluth, Wisconsin, or Clarkson can get the championship next year.
    Agreed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      the losses of Sauve, Sadek and Iafollo are not insignificant. There is also a lot of noise around this team that makes you wonder what is happening behind closed doors.
      Very nice of you to not point out individual players. I'm sure they really appreciate that!

Is it good noise or bad noise?

Comment

• Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
        I'm neutral... I remember watching that play (and subsequent replays) and thinking it was a bad call. Those types of "interference" plays happen all of the time without getting called. Field was just the bigger, stronger player and the Clarkson girl went down awkward to where the referees "noticed it". Unfortunate call, but kudos to both teams. Hopefully someone other than Minnesota, Duluth, Wisconsin, or Clarkson can get the championship next year.
        The thing about that call is that it came shortly after an OSU power play that was also questionable. A Clarkson player in the neutral zone tripped up their feet with an OSU player’s feet. After the first penalty, I don’t know if the second call is a make up call, or just in keeping with the kind of calls being made that game. It’s hard to make one call but not the other.

The real kicker for OSU has to be the goal post in OT.

Anyway, great season for their team.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          Very nice of you to not point out individual players. I'm sure they really appreciate that!

Is it good noise or bad noise?
          Simply stating that these three players logged many minutes when we played them. They are not there next year and will not be easily replaced. As for the noise, I would say there is a mix of good and bad. Last year’s performance was exceptional and was a feel good story but when players leave after achieving what they did, it does lead to a lot of chatter.
          Last edited by Puckdrop14; 06-14-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            The only fans who actually think that was a good call are the Clarkson fans and OSU haters.
            For a team to win a title, there usually are some key things that go their way. For example in 2004, Darwitz came back from a supposed season-ending injury and scored a HT in the final, including the winner seconds into the third period with a long video review. Had that been waved off, who knows who wins?

Clarkson had several close plays that went in their favor at the FF. Was the play just before the non-goal a penalty? Sure, but there are about a dozen penalties on each team that go uncalled in those games. Was Gabel offside on her winning goal? Don't know, but I'm used to watching linesmen call everything close offside during the season, just because they don't want a goal on a play that wasn't good at the line. In the final, the Colgate puck carrier was tripped at center ice to create the turnover that led to the game's first goal. Even the winning goal -- if a defending player takes her hand off her stick and shoves an opponent, that is typically a call, but Giguere did essentially the same thing to the Colgate defenseman. I'm not saying any of these are bad calls, but they all went the Golden Knights' way. A team has to have breaks to be successful.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
              Simply stating that these three players logged many minutes when we played them. They are not there next year and will not be easily replaced. As for the noise, I would say there is a mix of good and bad. Last year’s performance was exceptional and was a feel good story but when players leave after achieving what they did, it does lead to a lot of chatter.
              I agree that we lost some great seniors after this past season. As for the noise, the funny thing about the "noise" is it is not coming from Columbus, just rival fans. It's like people are trying to stir the pot in hopes of getting some top recruit to flip from OSU to their school. Everyone is aware we are losing our All-American goaltender. Another player has transferred to St. Cloud, and a third player may not be able to play again. Other than the two transfers, I have not heard anything about anyone else leaving. As for last year's freshman class, that's probably the best freshman class I have ever seen at tOSU. I agree with you that I don't think we are going to see the next freshman class replicate that. A lot of teams are not going to have a freshman class duplicate what Ohio State's freshman class did last season. Talking about this year's incoming players, in addition to the already-signed recruits, I am hearing we are getting some talented European players (hopefully a center or two). Guess that pretty much blows up the unfounded rumors some started that Peter Elander was leaving. Again, yeah, lots of noise, just not coming from Columbus.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                This simply isn't true. I didn't have a good look at it, but almost all of the neutral observers I talked to who were sitting at that end of the rink thought it was a good call.
                It happened right in front of me so not too many had a better look at it than I did. Like I said earlier, Coach Muzz thought it was a bull**** call, and I totally agree with her.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  It happened right in front of me so not too many had a better look at it than I did. Like I said earlier, Coach Muzz thought it was a bull**** call, and I totally agree with her.
                  I didn't say that you don't think it was a bad call. I didn't even say that it wasn't a bad call. I said that your claim that it was such a bad call that only a Clarkson fan or someone who hates OSU could think otherwise is false. And that claim manifestly is false, as I have talked with a number of people who were rooting for the Buckeyes that thought it was a good call. You are very quick to blame biased officiating when a team you root for loses. Some awareness of how your own biases shape your own perceptions is a good idea.
                  Last edited by Still Eeyore; 06-15-2018, 03:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                    I didn't say that you don't think it was a bad call. I didn't even say that it wasn't a bad call. I said that your claim that it was such a bad call that only a Clarkson fan or someone who hates OSU could think otherwise is false. And that claim manifestly is false, as I have talked with a number of people who were rooting for the Buckeyes that thought it was a good call. You are very quick to blame biased officiating when a team you root for loses. Some awareness of how your own biases shape your own perceptions is a good idea.
                    The call was legit. Maybe there should have been a second penalty on the play, a call for embellishment on the Clarkson player which would have also resulted in a whistle and no goal. It was a great game to watch and could have gone either way. At least it didn’t end in a shootout!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                      The call was legit.
                      I was sitting just outside the blue line opposite the benches on that end of the rink. I happened to be looking there (and actually never saw the shot or the goal, other than in my periphery), saw the penalty and looked immediately to the ref to see if his arm was up (which helped my missing the shot, etc.). Totally legit call, and I don't agree regarding any 'embellishment'.

Clarkson played three NCAA tourney games, and won all three in OT. Good team, who were also very lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                        You are very quick to blame biased officiating when a team you root for loses.
                        I am fine with everything else you said, and I obviously bleed Scarlet & Gray so I will admit having some biases as you stated, but to say I am quick to blame biased officiating when one of my teams loses is not even close to being true. I've lost count of how many times I have been on here complimenting the other team and saying the other team was the better team. That is all I am going to say on this subject. Half the people think it was a good call, and the other half think it was a bad call.

It was a great Frozen Four with three great games, all three of which could have gone either way. Any of those four teams could have won the National Title. I am going to move past that and get ready for the upcoming season. Trying to decide which road trips Mrs 86 and I want to make.

Comment

Two new additions for the coming season, one from the bronze medal winning Finnish Olympic team.

Sara Säkkinen. The Finnish Olympian forward made six appearances during the 2018 Winter Games, and 26 appearances for Finland during international play over the last year. Säkkinen also made 21 appearances with Team Kuortane in the Liiga league where she tallied eight goals and 11 assists.

Joining Säkkinen is defenseman Eve Savander. Playing alongside Säkkinen on Team Kuortane, Savander scored five goals and notched 19 assists in 28 appearances last year.

Comment

More older players. One turns 21 April of her freshman year and the other 21 in September of soph year.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoldyDad2B View Post
                              More older players. One turns 21 April of her freshman year and the other 21 in September of soph year.
                              Worked for us.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

https://swisshockeynews.ch/index.php...for-ohio-state

And another 21 year old. An Olympian goaltender from Switzerland.

Comment

Working...
                                X