Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
    On this board last year there were a bunch of weird complaints about the coaching of Ohio State that I didn't understand. I wanted to jump in but it was the Buckeye thread and as a Gopher and Muzzy fan I stayed out.

But, I'll jump in now and say the Buckeyes looked great this weekend! Didn't look like there were any problems with the coaching (or the team) at Ridder. You got UMD and St Cloud before Wisconsin. Good luck to you (at least I mean it to a certain extent ).
    I did not have any complaints about Coach Nadine and her staff last season. I said on a number of occasions last season that I was going to enjoy the process and that I trusted this coaching staff. I am very happy with taking five of the six points at Minnesota this weekend. I know it's early and Minnesota has a very young team, but they still have a lot of talent. Cannot wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink next weekend for the series vs UMD.

As for today's game, I am going to have to pull up the box score to tell you about this one. The Buckeye goals were scored by Dani Sadek, Tatum Skaggs (2), Emma Maltais, and Julianna Iafallo. The Minnesota goals were scored by Sophie Skarzynski, Alex Woken, Caitlyn Reilly (2), and Olivia Knowles. The Buckeyes outshot the Gophers 41-31 with Kassidy Sauve stopping 26 of the 31 shots she faced. For Minnesota, Alex Gulstene saved 36 of the 41 shots she faced. Tatum Skaggs and Julianna Iafallo scored the shootout goals for Ohio State while Buckeye backstop Kassidy Sauve stopped both Gopher shots she faced in the shootout.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      You beat the rodents on the road, a not a very nice win, a massively freaking awesome win! Now just win today then cool off before you play UW. A win today would make me feel a little nervous, yet excited.
      Thank you for the congratulations and generous words. But for me, there's no such thing as a "massively freaking awesome win" in October. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of what the players and coaches accomplished this weekend. And I'm sure you know I'll be there for this team through thick and thin. But it's a long season. All we've seen are the first couple of steps on a long journey.

On this board last year there were a bunch of weird complaints about the coaching of Ohio State that I didn't understand. I wanted to jump in but it was the Buckeye thread and as a Gopher and Muzzy fan I stayed out.
      Like '86, I'll confirm that you heard no such complaint from me. And since the two of us account for 75% of the OSU posts on this board... Guess I just flat out missed the conversation you're referring to.

To be honest, I'd rather we didn't call a lot of attention to material that was weird, negative and off the mark. But I have to admit I'm curious. The only thing I can come up with is that having 3 coaches in 3 seasons must have been really tough for the upperclassmen. Fresh starts aren't always a blessing for a player. Losing ground in a transition is a real possibility. Maybe there were some rumblings about the inherent unfairness of the coaching carousel?

But, I'll jump in now and say the Buckeyes looked great this weekend! Didn't look like there were any problems with the coaching (or the team) at Ridder. You got UMD and St Cloud before Wisconsin. Good luck to you (at least I mean it to a certain extent ).
      With any coaching transition, it takes time for the new coach to get her systems and personnel in place. If Coach Muzz has things running at a high level of efficiency at the start of Year Two, I'd describe that as ahead of schedule.

The Buckeyes looked confident and well organized against RPI. Glad to hear a similar evaluation of their performance in Minneapolis.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        But I have to admit I'm curious. The only thing I can come up with is that having 3 coaches in 3 seasons must have been really tough for the upperclassmen. Fresh starts aren't always a blessing for a player. Losing ground in a transition is a real possibility. Maybe there were some rumblings about the inherent unfairness of the coaching carousel?
        What I recall is not really a conversation, and definitely not from you or osualum. But more a series of shots... things like she is shortening the bench too much and players are unnecessarily tired at the end and other players don't get to play. She's running bad offensive schemes resulting in an inability to score. Of course they win some games she's got the best goaltender in the country. And maybe a dash of "player defections" and "coaching defections" and only a "2 person coaching staff to start the season" thrown in on the side.

I was a little bit sensitive because I like Coach Muzerall and I thought the Buckeyes had a pretty good season last year all things considered. Sorry if I shouldn't have brought it up!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          The Buckeye goals were scored by Dani Sadek, Tatum Skaggs (2), Emma Maltais, and Julianna Iafallo.
          While I'm sure that you're going to enjoy watching your team as whole, in particular, you're going to have a fun time seeing these two wearing your jersey for four years. I'm happy for you and pgb, and I'm glad that the patience and support of such loyal fans is being rewarded.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            While I'm sure that you're going to enjoy watching your team as whole, in particular, you're going to have a fun time seeing these two wearing your jersey for four years. I'm happy for you and pgb, and I'm glad that the patience and support of such loyal fans is being rewarded.
            Agreed, both of the Ohio State mainstay posters are very supportive and loyal to their team. They deserve to get to see the improvements this team has made. As disappointed as I was in the Gophers performance, the opposite is true of witnessing Ohio State hustle, and for much of the weekend outwork Minnesota. And to think, this was a weekend that wasn't Sauve's best and they still managed 5 of 6 points. Lots to look forward to for this years Buckeye squad.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Sorry if I shouldn't have brought it up!
              No worries at all. In fact, your reply to me was pretty much ideal. Satisfied the curiosity without breathing new life into the "grievances."

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              You may have noticed that over on the WCHA thread I compared Tatum to Luke Skywalker. I'll come up with something for Emma soon enough. Yeah, I'm enthusiastic about our first line.

Comment

Thanks for the posts and the kind words everyone! Totally agree regarding Tatum Skaggs and Emma Maltais! That will be quite a 1-2 punch for the coming seasons. Needless to say, I am thrilled with Coach Nadine and what she has done with the program in such a short period of time!

Comment

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-d...t2dUp1MUk/view

IF anyone's interested, here is interview with Coach Muzerall that was aired between 2nd and 3rd periods of Friday's game on Gopher audio. Catch her give a big laugh at 5:30 in

Comment

Great interview, thank you for sharing KTDC!

Comment

Ohio State took game one in a big series matching two top ten teams earlier tonight by a final score of 2-0 over Minnesota-Duluth. The Bulldogs outshot the Buckeyes 35-18 in this one, but it did not matter as the Buckeyes made theirs count and UMD could not get one past All-American goalie Kassidy Sauve, who stopped all 35 shots she faced for her 14th career shutout. Minnesota-Duluth goalie Jessica Convery was stellar tonight, saving 16 of the 18 shots she faced. The Buckeye goals were scored by forwards Maddy Field and Julianna Iafallo. This was a hard fought game between two great teams. Iafallo's late goal allowed us Buckeye fans to exhale. Tomorrow's game should be just as entertaining, and will start at 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

There were more goals scored today at the OSU Ice Rink but the end result was the same as Ohio State completed the sweep with a 4-3 victory over #5 Minnesota-Duluth. The Buckeye goals were scored by Emma Maltais, Julianna Iafallo, Maddy Field, and Jacyn Reeves. The Bulldog goals were scored by Sydney Brodt and Naomi Rogge (2). As was the case with Friday's game, UMD outshot the Buckeyes, but it was closer this time ... 34-32. Ohio State's Kassidy Sauve saved 31 of the 34 shots she faced and UMD's Jessica Convery stopped 28 of the 32 shots she faced. Next up for the Buckeyes will be a trip to St. Cloud to take on the Huskies. UMD will host the Gophers next weekend.

Comment

I've noticed that, generally and relatively speaking, the OSU stalwarts have been ominously quiet recently, especially on other threads while their team has had it's best start in years.

Kinda reminds me of the UMD PP (Possum Play) from the last two years when the 'Dogs were cruising under everyone's radar, accumulating wins/points before others realized they were the real deal. It worked for them.

Could this be a collective OSU supporter strategy?...don't mention the success until it's glaring at everyone in the standings and everyone else can't help talking about it? Sort of not wanting to jinx the moment? Let the cat find its own way out of the bag?

If it is, it looks like it's working.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Speaking for myself, I've had an insanely busy Fall. But I promise you, I've been to every minute of all 5 home games.

Beyond that, you'll just have to wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              I've noticed that, generally and relatively speaking, the OSU stalwarts have been ominously quiet recently, especially on other threads while their team has had it's best start in years.

Kinda reminds me of the UMD PP (Possum Play) from the last two years when the 'Dogs were cruising under everyone's radar, accumulating wins/points before others realized they were the real deal. It worked for them.

Could this be a collective OSU supporter strategy?...don't mention the success until it's glaring at everyone in the standings and everyone else can't help talking about it? Sort of not wanting to jinx the moment? Let the cat find its own way out of the bag?

If it is, it looks like it's working.

Keep up the good work.
                              Blackbeard, thanks for stopping by! Honestly, I am just enjoying the season and haven't felt the need to venture to the other threads. I do believe our team is for real. We only lost two players from last year's team. Actually, we have lost four or five if you factor in some very unfortunate career-ending injuries, but we do have a number of key players back, not to mention some very talented freshmen. Yes, maybe it is me not wanting to jinx us, but I am definitely aware that our program is off to its best start ever, and I don't think it is a fluke. I think this team is for real. You will get a laugh out of this, but I am getting to the point where I am thinking about streaming the away games instead of just following on gametracker or live stats! In any case, I am thoroughly enjoying this season! I couldn't be happier for the senior girls who have had three different coaches in four years!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                                ... I am getting to the point where I am thinking about streaming the away games instead of just following on gametracker or live stats?
                                Around the WCHA, Mankato has free video, and if you don't want to pay for the video, both Bemidji and Minnesota have free audio. UMD did back in the day, but I haven't looked for it lately so I can't say if it is still available.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X