Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

12:00 Noon. Lunch is being served over on the WCHA thread.

Comment

Another day, another tie for these two teams. Give both teams credit today. The Buckeyes played much better today than they had last night and outshot St. Cloud 41-18 in today's game. Give credit to the St. Cloud defenders and goaltender, Emma Polusny, also, for keeping the Bucks off the scoreboard until the shootout. On the other side of the scoresheet, Buckeye backstop Kassidy Sauve stopped every shot she faced today to add to her school record for shutouts. Not much, really, to talk about with this one, statistically, aside from the shots on goal and the outstanding defense/goaltending on both sides since no one scored in this one. The five-minute overtime period was not enough to decide this one so it went to a shootout where Liv Halvorson was able to get a slapshot by Polusny for the game-winner. St. Cloud will return home with a well-earned two points for their efforts and host #1 Wisconsin next weekend. The #6 Buckeyes are off next weekend, then will head to Erie, PA for a series at Mercyhurst on 12/15 - 12/16 before the Holiday break.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        Another day, another tie for these two teams.
        And perhaps another helping of meatloaf for your post-game meal? The diner is open for business over on the WCHA thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          And perhaps another helping of meatloaf for your post-game meal? The diner is open for business over on the WCHA thread.
          Meatloaf is alright, but I would prefer chicken, as in "winner, winner, chicken dinner." We dropped down to 7th in the pairwise after tying St. Cloud twice. I am not going to complain too much about a four-point weekend. Unfortunately, the pairwise is not very forgiving with two ties against a team that is ranked 27th.

Comment

Ohio State gutted out a 2-1 win in Erie tonight against a game Mercyhurst Laker squad intent on protecting home ice. The Lakers jumped out to a 1-0 lead on a goal by Sarah Hine in the first period and that is how the period ended. The Buckeyes came back with single tallies in the second and third periods from Maddy Field and Liz Schepers. Schepers scored the game-winner with 1:09 left in the game. Ohio State outshot the Lakers 29-20. Laker goalie Kennedy Blair stopped 27 of the 29 shots she faced. Ohio State's Kassidy Sauve saved 19 of the 20 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at the Mercyhurst Ice Center with game time at 2:00.

Comment

Appreciate the eyewitness account. Very cool that you made the trip.

This Buckeye team has a knack for finding ways to win. Also very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                Appreciate the eyewitness account. Very cool that you made the trip.

This Buckeye team has a knack for finding ways to win. Also very cool.
                Unfortunately for us Buckeye fans, today they found a way to lose. I am not even sure how to describe it, but Ohio State led 4-2 with 6 minutes and change to go in today's game, then allowed Mercyhurst to score four unanswered goals to win 6-4. The last goal was an empty-netter. This one is sure to leave a sour taste in the Buckeyes' mouths heading into the break. If I had not been there to see it in person, I wouldn't have believed it. This was certainly a game where momentum swung back and forth, with the last big momentum swing going the Lakers' way in the end. Ohio State got off to a fast start, scoring 2 goals the first five minutes to take a quick 2-0 lead. Mercyhurst would eventually tie the game at 2, then the Buckeyes scored the next two goals to take a 4-2 lead. At that point, the wheels came off. The Lakers would score three goals in the next five minutes to take a 5-4 lead, then added an empty netter to make the final score 6-4. Well, let's get to the scoring. I am going to need the box score for this one. First, for the victorious Lakers, the goals were scored by Sarah Hine, Nicole Guagliardo, Sam Isbell, Brooke Hartwick, and Celine Frappier (2). The Ohio State goals were scored by Tatum Skaggs, Dani Sadek, Liz Schepers, and Jincy Dunne. Ohio State outshot the Lakers 29-28 with Buckeye netminder Kassidy Sauve stopping 22 of the 27 shots she faced (28th shot was the empty net goal at the end). The Lakers' Sara McDonnell stopped 25 of the 29 shots she faced. The Buckeyes will now go on break and return to host Penn State on 1/5 - 1/6. Mercyhurst will go on break and return to face Bemidji State on the road on 1/2 - 1/3.

One more thing on today's game and the season so far ... yes, we lost one today that we should have finished off, but this Buckeye team is setting at 12-4-4 at the break, solidly in the top three of the always-tough WCHA, and I will continue to trust the process. Today, the team lost a game they should have won. They lost one on the road in OT against Robert Morris, who like the Buckeyes, are a top ten team. And the other two losses are against the #1 team in the land, the Wisconsin Badgers, on the road in Madison. I think Coach Nadine said it best today, and I will just copy and paste from the recap on ohiostatebuckeyes.com ... "We’ve played some extraordinary hockey over the first half of the season and I hope the girls don’t lose sight of that. We also have room to improve and grow, and while we’re on our break I hope they recharge while continuing to prepare both mentally and physically for a tough second half of the season schedule.” Our program won 14 games the entire season last year. The year before, they barely cracked double figures with 10 wins, so there is no way I am going to downplay what this program is doing this season over one bad loss. I think the Minnesota fans out there who had the privilege of watching Nadine Muzerall play and coach for the Gophers will back me up on this ... we have a good one here with Coach Nadine, and given the resources and support from the OSU Athletic Department (hopefully a new arena in the near future), she will get the Ohio State Women's Hockey Program to the next level. Today's loss was brutal, but as Coach Nadine said, the girls shouldn't lose sight of the fact that they have played some great hockey in the first half of the season, and as a huge fan of the program, I am certainly not going to lose sight of that. I am already looking forward to the second half of the season! To all my wonderful friends here, I hope you have a wonderful holiday season! I also want to wish a wonderful holiday season to our team, coaches, and additional staff that have given us so much to cheer about this season, and also our OSU Women's Hockey Parents! Ok everyone, thanks for hanging with me tonight. I will cut myself off now!
                Last edited by osualum86; 12-16-2017, 10:56 PM.

Comment

This is not good for the WCHA & their hopes for 3 Teams in the tournament! Too many losses to teams outside of the WCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBadger View Post
                    This is not good for the WCHA & their hopes for 3 Teams in the tournament! Too many losses to teams outside of the WCHA!
                    What happened to the name of the thread " Home Playoffs This Season ", well on the way to making this happen and have exceeded all expectations at this point. Looking forward to the second half of the season and development of a winning culture for this program. Go Bucks Go !

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBadger View Post
                      You must be talking about the other teams in the league because we have only lost two games outside of the WCHA ... once to Robert Morris, who is ranked in the top ten, and yesterday's loss to Mercyhurst. Ohio State is 4-2 in their non-league games.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFan View Post
                        What happened to the name of the thread " Home Playoffs This Season ", well on the way to making this happen and have exceeded all expectations at this point. Looking forward to the second half of the season and development of a winning culture for this program. Go Bucks Go !
                        Exactly ... I have said it before somewhere in this thread and if not, I will say it now, I actually think Coach Nadine has this program ahead of schedule. We are setting in third place in the league for now and we have two games in hand on Minnesota, who is sitting one point ahead of us. They have played 16 league games and we have played 14. So, not only are we going to be hosting a first round series, we have a great shot at finishing second, provided we learn from mistakes (like not finishing yesterday's game the right way) and continue to get better. The biggest thing we need to learn, and this seems to happen with programs that are not necessarily used to this level of success, is to not play down to the level of the competition. Championship programs like Wisconsin and Minnesota don't play down to the level of their competition and if we aspire to get to that level, we need to quit doing that. We are having a great season this year and I sincerely hope we are able to get back to the level we were at earlier this season when we were sweeping Minnesota and Minnesota-Duluth.

Comment

Exactly ... I have said it before somewhere in this thread and if not, I will say it now, I actually think Coach Nadine has this program ahead of schedule. We are setting in third place in the league for now and we have two games in hand on Minnesota, who is sitting one point ahead of us. They have played 16 league games and we have played 14. So, not only are we going to be hosting a first round series, we have a great shot at finishing second, provided we learn from mistakes (like not finishing yesterday's game the right way) and continue to get better. The biggest thing we need to learn, and this seems to happen with programs that are not necessarily used to this level of success, is to not play down to the level of the competition. Championship programs like Wisconsin and Minnesota don't play down to the level of their competition and if we aspire to get to that level, we need to quit doing that. We are having a great season this year and I sincerely hope we are able to get back to the level we were at earlier this season when we were sweeping Minnesota and Minnesota-Duluth.
                          You better hope that you either finish in the top 4 or that both OSU and MN make the NCAA. If only one WCHA team finishes in the second tier their reward will be a trip to Madison. Still, very much looking forward to seeing you at Ridder for the WCHA playoffs.

Comment

You must be talking about the other teams in the league because we have only lost two games outside of the WCHA ... once to Robert Morris, who is ranked in the top ten, and yesterday's loss to Mercyhurst. Ohio State is 4-2 in their non-league games.
                            It's all about expectations. A 4-2 record is fine if you're shooting for respectability. If the goal is to get into the NCAAs, 4-2 comes up a little short, unless you've played teams more of the caliber that UW and UMD have played. Minnesota is 5-1, and that is more hindrance than help. OSU has played a better schedule than Minnesota, but the loss to Mercyhurst hurts that comparison.

So, not only are we going to be hosting a first round series, we have a great shot at finishing second, ...
                            I'd be fine with OSU finishing higher in the WCHA; what I want is to finish higher in the PairWise. I don't think that the WCHA will get two at-large teams into the tournament this year.

We are having a great season this year and I sincerely hope we are able to get back to the level we were at earlier this season when we were sweeping Minnesota and Minnesota-Duluth.
                            A sweep means you took all of the points. The Buckeyes won the series in Minneapolis but did not sweep. While you may be ahead of schedule, OSU has an opportunity this season that it may not have next year. I realize that your outlook is to always see the positive, but I think that your coach realizes that the future is now.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

OSU has tough games after the break as well. Penn State is eventually going to upset somebody, and Robert Morris already has the split with OSU and isn’t going to go down lightly. Going 4-0 in those games would (maybe?) help OSU’s pairwise picture, but it will be tough.

Regardless, still a great first half for OSU.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                                You better hope that you either finish in the top 4 or that both OSU and MN make the NCAA. If only one WCHA team finishes in the second tier their reward will be a trip to Madison. Still, very much looking forward to seeing you at Ridder for the WCHA playoffs.
                                I know making the NCAA Tournament is the ultimate goal, and honestly, at the start of the season, that was not an expectation for me. After the first half of the season, though, I am starting to come around to that possibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X