Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Only one way to find out.
    Is it like "slapping the bull" in the movie 'Wild Hogs' where the first person gets away with it, then he is alert/awake when the second person tries it?

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      That right there should be about all one needs, except for this...

osualum86, I'd recommend that the Buck's score more goals than that local team. I went to watch the FF in Boston once. Nice city, nice people, nice arena. But my team lost the scoring contest to some team wearing green, and it soured the whole experience for me. I think you'll have a much better time if OSU takes advantage of the fact that half of what was supposed to be the Eagles blue line were off hunting for gold.

So score more goals, remember to bonk Grant in the head, and all of his info and tips will just be icing on the cake.
      I understand our kids will need to watch the penalties because, well, games are officiated differently in Hockey East than they are in the WCHA. Hopefully that will help us with that 'scoring more goals than the local team' part. I would love to see this group win three more games this season. And not so I can run out and blow a bunch of coin on National Championship t-shirts and hats. I want to see the seniors get rewarded for sticking with Ohio State through all the adversity and coaching changes. If it doesn't happen, though, I will still be proud of the kids and the coaches. They have certainly exceeded the expectations I had for this season! I thought home playoffs, trip to the WCHA Final Faceoff, but then some things happened ... 3-1-1 record vs Minnesota, 3-1 record vs Robert Morris, 2 wins vs Wisconsin. This team earned that NCAA bid. Win or lose this Saturday, it has been a memorable season, a historic season, and a joy to watch this team. Well, shoot, I need to turn in. Night all!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        I want to see the seniors get rewarded for sticking with Ohio State through all the adversity and coaching changes.
        Please, I keep hearing about the 'seniors' but don't forget what all the others have experienced. Yes the seniors dealt with coaching changes but the turmoil was not so much more than the juniors had who committed under Handrahan, played for a year under Potter, before even more turmoil. Even the sophomore's who committed under Handrahan, had to recommit under Potter hoping that their commitments would still be honored, then were told Potter was gone during their first week of school, their first week on campus in a completely new setting with no coaching staff in place and no idea what direction the team was going!! This 3 year bunch ended up having to practice without a coach for more than a month and only met Muzzerall 1 hour before their first game at RPI. Welcome to university.

I would be remiss to even forget about the freshman on the team. Most of these committed under Handrahan, had to recommit under Potter, then recommit again under Muzerall. Not all were retained during each of those transitions, but those that were, congratulations to them for sticking it out.

All these young ladies have gone through an awful lot over the last few years. Here's hoping they can chalk up a big W in Boston.

Comment

• Originally posted by dd17 View Post
          Please, I keep hearing about the 'seniors' but don't forget what all the others have experienced. Yes the seniors dealt with coaching changes but the turmoil was not so much more than the juniors had who committed under Handrahan, played for a year under Potter, before even more turmoil. Even the sophomore's who committed under Handrahan, had to recommit under Potter hoping that their commitments would still be honored, then were told Potter was gone during their first week of school, their first week on campus in a completely new setting with no coaching staff in place and no idea what direction the team was going!! This 3 year bunch ended up having to practice without a coach for more than a month and only met Muzzerall 1 hour before their first game at RPI. Welcome to university.

I would be remiss to even forget about the freshman on the team. Most of these committed under Handrahan, had to recommit under Potter, then recommit again under Muzerall. Not all were retained during each of those transitions, but those that were, congratulations to them for sticking it out.

All these young ladies have gone through an awful lot over the last few years. Here's hoping they can chalk up a big W in Boston.
          THIS!!! Handrahan was a complete disgrace in every way. Potter was a bust. I didn't like the decision to hire her in the first place but I didn't expect her to be out quite so quickly. I thought she'd be there for 3 years before they booted her to the curb. Muzzy has the team relevant and respected once again for the first time since Barto.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            THIS!!! Handrahan was a complete disgrace in every way. Potter was a bust. I didn't like the decision to hire her in the first place but I didn't expect her to be out quite so quickly. I thought she'd be there for 3 years before they booted her to the curb. Muzzy has the team relevant and respected once again for the first time since Barto.
            Handrahan was not a complete disgrace..Shelfit..I'm continually amazed at your bias here against him and other coaches for whatever reasons you have! This team was built by him and Potter didn't have enough time to mess it up. Gardner and Kepler (both at Wisconsin now...might have still been on this team). Let's not give Muzzy (are you Muzzy?) all the credit here....Maltais, Skaggs, Sauve, Dunne, just to name a few...all Handrahan recruits...the guy did a great job recruiting and had his OSU teams competitive in a time when the WCHA was the WCHA not a shell conference of what it is now.....after all its an Olympic year and UND has been scattered all over the place.....you constantly kick dirt on his coaching grave and there's no need for it. From a talent perspective...She didn't inherit a bad situation!

You're past posts have taken shots at Maine and Providence coaches... both doing well. Constant shots at RIT....the coach has won conference and national championships with zero scholarship money and it's finally catching up to him... UConn? - winning record......Syracuse, Vermont, Mankato....I know I'm missing some but I'm pretty sure you're a coach who couldn't do it better.

In the end, we get it...Muzzy and Kevin Houle are the best and that's your opinion. But these other coaches are not that bad.....just an honest response to keep the message board going!

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
              Is it like "slapping the bull" in the movie 'Wild Hogs' where the first person gets away with it, then he is alert/awake when the second person tries it?
              But will it be lights out after the 1st one?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post

Excellent insights.

Let's see. Consistently strong hockey knowledge; constantly referring to The Ohio State University as "ohio"... OMG! You're Red Berenson!

Comment

Those of you who say I should have included the whole team in my statement about the adversity are probably right. They have all gone through the adversity of these coaching changes. Thankfully, the athletic department finally got it right, bringing in Nadine Muzerall. That was definitely a home run hire for this program.

Comment

Originally posted by hocper View Post
                    (are you Muzzy?)
                    An impressive list of recruits for Handrahan and staff.

But does Muzzy hate that many coaches?

Comment

• Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                      An impressive list of recruits for Handrahan and staff.

But does Muzzy hate that many coaches?
                      No no, He must be right. I must be Muzzy because Muzzy doesn't have anything better to do than come here. Lol.

Recruiting is just one part of being a coach. How you treat your players, how you talk to them, how you manage them, how you behave and handle yourself in public and in private, your ethics and integrity, all those things are the real keys to being a well respected coach. Muzzy is not my favorite D1 coach but I totally respect what she's done since coming in as late in the process as she did.

I am a former player who has lots of connections as do so many former players. Pretty simple.
                      Last edited by shelfit; 03-08-2018, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hocper View Post
                        Handrahan was not a complete disgrace..Shelfit..I'm continually amazed at your bias here against him and other coaches for whatever reasons you have! This team was built by him and Potter didn't have enough time to mess it up. Gardner and Kepler (both at Wisconsin now...might have still been on this team). Let's not give Muzzy (are you Muzzy?) all the credit here....Maltais, Skaggs, Sauve, Dunne, just to name a few...all Handrahan recruits...the guy did a great job recruiting and had his OSU teams competitive in a time when the WCHA was the WCHA not a shell conference of what it is now.....after all its an Olympic year and UND has been scattered all over the place.....you constantly kick dirt on his coaching grave and there's no need for it. From a talent perspective...She didn't inherit a bad situation!

You're past posts have taken shots at Maine and Providence coaches... both doing well. Constant shots at RIT....the coach has won conference and national championships with zero scholarship money and it's finally catching up to him... UConn? - winning record......Syracuse, Vermont, Mankato....I know I'm missing some but I'm pretty sure you're a coach who couldn't do it better.

In the end, we get it...Muzzy and Kevin Houle are the best and that's your opinion. But these other coaches are not that bad.....just an honest response to keep the message board going!
                        There is a common denominator here isn’t there? I always thought Handrahan did a good job with the talent he had. As noted above, his finger prints are all over this team and he must be pleased with how well his recruits have done. It will be interesting to see if Muzzerral can sustain this year’s success. Not sure what players if any are her recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                          Those of you who say I should have included the whole team in my statement about the adversity are probably right. They have all gone through the adversity of these coaching changes. Thankfully, the athletic department finally got it right, bringing in Nadine Muzerall. That was definitely a home run hire for this program.
                          Nothing wrong with your posts. It's perfectly appropriate to laud the seniors as they finish up their college careers. Recognizing the adversity they overcame along the way is certainly part of that.

Let's just say dd17 built on what you started, adding more good insights.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            Nothing wrong with your posts. It's perfectly appropriate to laud the seniors as they finish up their college careers. Recognizing the adversity they overcame along the way is certainly part of that.

Let's just say dd17 built on what you started, adding more good insights.
                            That is a great way to put it. Dd17 did have some good insights, and that's what I like about this forum. Some root for different teams and some have different opinions, but for the most part, we all engage in civil discussion and respect each other's opinions.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                              That is a great way to put it. Dd17 did have some good insights, and that's what I like about this forum. Some root for different teams and some have different opinions, but for the most part, we all engage in civil discussion and respect each other's opinions.
                              Correct sir. I just wanted to point out this is as much about last 3 classes as it is about the seniors. As many players bailed from Ohio from the junior and sophomore class as from the senior which gets all the attention. In fact, more left the program after Muzzeralls first year than any other year. Coaching changes are hard and affect more than just 1 class but to do it twice in two years is almost unthinkable.

I do agree with previous posters than Handrahan sure built a strong base. Let’s await judgement to see how this team competes in a few years when Muzzeralls commits start coming in.

Comment

I do agree with previous posters than Handrahan sure built a strong base. Let’s await judgement to see how this team competes in a few years when Muzzeralls commits start coming in.

Handrahan may have been a good recruiter, not so sure he knew what to do with the talent when he got it..........much like the Edmonton Oilers, can have a lot of # 1 picks but it knowing how to coach and develop is the key to winning. Kudos to Muzerall who has been able to take program to new heights in 2 very short years. I suspect now that Ohio has developed a winning culture with a number of key pieces to build around, more top end players will be signing on at " The Ohio State" !

Comment

Working...
                                X