Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Definitely wouldnt want whitehead back. Has a d1 school ever made a coach change two weeks in?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
      Definitely wouldnt want whitehead back. Has a d1 school ever made a coach change two weeks in?
      People were joking about that, pretty sure.

But Red should have been fired, not extended, two years ago, never-mind two weeks. He wasn't a promising candidate for the job in the first place, and all he's done at Maine is to fail miserably since Day One.

Might be a long slog ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        People were joking about that, pretty sure.

But Red should have been fired, not extended, two years ago, never-mind two weeks. He wasn't a promising candidate for the job in the first place, and all he's done at Maine is to fail miserably since Day One.

Might be a long slog ahead.
        Who would you bring in? It'd be great to have Bazin, Cavanaugh, Leaman, or someone like that but there were no candidates like that last time round. Why four years later would any of those type guys be in the mix? We need to hope that Red is able to get Maine headed in the right direction and then Ben is able to take over and have success. I don't really see a plan B right now.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          Who would you bring in? It'd be great to have Bazin, Cavanaugh, Leaman, or someone like that but there were no candidates like that last time round. Why four years later would any of those type guys be in the mix? We need to hope that Red is able to get Maine headed in the right direction and then Ben is able to take over and have success. I don't really see a plan B right now.
          Young, hungry coach.
          Championship pedigree.
          Maine ties (the state, not the university).

Matt Greason. North Yarmouth Academy '97, Trinity '03
          He has Maine roots. He has been the head coach at Trinity for six seasons. In that time they are 112-41-10, have two NESCAC regular season titles, two tournament titles, three consecutive NCAA appearances, two appearances in the title game and one NCAA Championship.
          He was our captain for the 96-97 team at NYA and scored the GWG in the state championship game at Alfond Arena. Also like Jim Montgomery, he was an extra coach on the ice. We could all see that he had a future as a coach. When I played the 42-1-2 video for the team he had practically memorized every line. He grew up on Maine hockey and would likely welcome the chance to restore the Black Bears to the glory days of his youth.

Young, hungry coach.
          Championship pedigree.
          Maine ties.

That's your plan B.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            Anyone... How could a guy right off the street do any worse than Red has?

Comment

I'm shocked Maine is playing this horrible defensively and on the PK. I thought they might have trouble scoring, but that isn't the issue so far. Hopefully they can sort things out. I was impressed with Pieper tonight. Maine needs to get Holway and Holesinsky back as soon as possible.
              Why are you shocked, it looked exactly like the last 3 or 4 years. Red had 2 weeks to get these guys ready and they weren't.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Red got a D-1 job for mysterious reasons, and an inexplicable extension, FCS...

Timmy was/is a much better head coach. I'd take him back on the cheap, but he wouldn't do that. Red has taken Maine to rock-bottom, and only a young and starving coach would want that job.

Field hockey, anyone?
                Red got the job because of his ties to the program with Walshy, Yale experience, pro experience etc. To me it appears he is in over his head, the old saying there is a reason he has always been an Asst. Coach. Its too bad, people like him but he has had enough time to turn this around.

Comment

The only thing worse than any aspect of Maine's performance last night was the sieve. He showed no confidence to stop the puck, let in major softies, and yet somehow Maine still killed their own PPs going D to D. No ability to make in game coaching adjustments whatsoever. Two weeks to prepare and this is what we get. The team is digressing and last night's debacle falls squarely on coaching.
                  UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                    The only thing worse than any aspect of Maine's performance last night was the sieve. He showed no confidence to stop the puck, let in major softies, and yet somehow Maine still killed their own PPs going D to D. No ability to make in game coaching adjustments whatsoever. Two weeks to prepare and this is what we get. The team is digressing and last night's debacle falls squarely on coaching.
                    Rico obviously did a good job scouting Maine and his players(except for their goalie) executed. Agreed on the Maine's PP. When the point guys couldn't get a shooting lane they had no clue what to do other than just pass it back and fourth.

What are your thoughts on Maine's PK? Is it as simple as guys needing more reps or something else? In my mind where the D is so improved there is no need for it to be this bad. Some of it could be confidence as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Why are you shocked, it looked exactly like the last 3 or 4 years. Red had 2 weeks to get these guys ready and they weren't.
                      In previous year's Maine just didn't have the depth. That's not an issue this year. I will say though there definitely has been the feeling of leaving wins out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        Anyone... How could a guy right off the street do any worse than Red has?
                        Maybe they could have the Coach of the Game presented by Dysarts? Could make a few extra bucks that way too. The beach thing was embarrassing last night and hopefully they drop that nonsense.

Comment

Who would you bring in? It'd be great to have Bazin, Cavanaugh, Leaman,...........
                          Cavanaugh was available when Gendron was hired. I have no idea whether or not he wanted or was interested in the position. He's a Bowdoin College graduate. There's the Maine connection.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Rico obviously did a good job scouting Maine and his players(except for their goalie) executed.
                            I don't think it was scouting. Last season in both games in Oxford the Hawks didn't score until the second period and both games were defensive in nature. Maine managed only 21 shots in the Friday tie - and only nine in the last two periods and overtime. Miami appeared to open in a 1-4 defensive posture but Blasi quickly realized he had the better team and switched to a wide open style. That adjustment turned what could have been a snooze fest into the bonkers game we saw last night, with Miami scoring seven times in a 35 minute span. After establishing a four goal cushion they went back to a defensive posture and attempted only two shots on goal for the final 19:52.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              I don't think it was scouting. Last season in both games in Oxford the Hawks didn't score until the second period and both games were defensive in nature. Maine managed only 21 shots in the Friday tie - and only nine in the last two periods and overtime. Miami appeared to open in a 1-4 defensive posture but Blasi quickly realized he had the better team and switched to a wide open style. That adjustment turned what could have been a snooze fest into the bonkers game we saw last night, with Miami scoring seven times in a 35 minute span. After establishing a four goal cushion they went back to a defensive posture and attempted only two shots on goal for the final 19:52.
                              Yup, that's exactly what happened. You described it better than I could. With only three countable games , the season is still young. I would like to think that the team would develop as the season progresses, but Gendron hasn't demonstrated any ability to do that with past teams. If anything, they get worse.

Comment

In previous year's Maine just didn't have the depth. That's not an issue this year. I will say though there definitely has been the feeling of leaving wins out there.
                                The problem is Maine doesnt have that depth you think they do. Is it better than past years? Probably but don't compare to other Maine teams, look at their opponents. Conn was faster, Miami blew their doors off .

If Maines depth is so great why is Perez playing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X