Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Bought tickets for uconn, miami and duluth, shocked at how many open seats there are.
    I'm not, as an example they raised soda prices to 4 bucks. They were 2.50 last year, family of 4, better part of 20 bucks for a game soda. Mom I want pizza, another 20 bucks?? plus ticket costs etc etc
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
      Nobody is suspended
      It was a reply on what one of the Posters yesterday speculated....I am just saying what the pre-game show said and even Gendron did not mention anything.

Comment

One game is not much of a measuring stick, especially a Exhibition game. Myself I am going by how this team looks 10 games into the season and with that on the road will also be a BIG test if this team is going to make any progress.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          I'm not, as an example they raised soda prices to 4 bucks. They were 2.50 last year, family of 4, better part of 20 bucks for a game soda. Mom I want pizza, another 20 bucks?? plus ticket costs etc etc
          I saw the Prices and had to look twice, stopped and went the other direction...NOPE not very Fan friendly....and the stuff is BAD to boot.

Comment

I thought I would provide a summary from my notes of the newcomers (freshmen, RS, transfer) performance in the exhibition game against Acadia. I think many of these points have been made by others on this thread already but I had some additional points that I thought were worth mentioning.

Forwards
            Doherty: A
            Made an impact on every shift. Excellent speed, tenacious, very high compete level. Very strong on his skates for his size. At times seemed like a man possessed speeding through the neutral zone taking on much bigger defensemen. Makes quick decisions with the puck, doesn’t play with it. Disrupted plays defensively, made things happen offensively. Had multiple scoring chances and created numerous scoring chances. Strong forecheck and backcheck. His PK work in the neutral zone led to Michel’s goal. Great motor. Wish he was ruled eligible last year. Doherty’s style might be the definition of a Red Gendron dream hockey player.

Holesinsky: B+
            Excellent vision, poise, and skill. Fits the puck through seems in all three zones. Excellent and efficient distributor of the puck. Gets of a quick accurate shot. Game seems slow to him. Smooth skater with good speed. Pursues puck hard in all three zones. Had a couple of clean “pick-pockets” on the backcheck that were quite impressive. Very good in the face-off circle. Instant upgrade to a center position which lacked depth and skill last year.

Westerlund: B+
            Sniper ability. Fantastic shot from face off circle high glove side under the crossbar late in the 1st was thwarted by a fantastic save by sieve. Release is quick, in stride, and accurate. Only had one shot sail over the net all night. Strong on the puck. Backcheck stood out. Plays hard and physical in all zones. Strong on his skates. Did not create a lot of opportunity for others but certainly seems to have the ability to be a finisher.

Tralmaks: B+
            Combination of size and speed stood out immediately. Strong on the puck. Can really get moving in the transition game. Goes to the net hard and with aggression. Looked equally adept at creating and scoring. Doesn’t shy away from dirty work in corners. Had a goal taken away by sieve. Delivered a couple of big hits. Played extremely well with Pearson. The two of them created plays all night.

Defensemen
            Binner: A-
            Skated the puck seamlessly out of the zone multiple times. A couple of turnovers in own zone were only major blemishes i saw, all of which were just a second late, suggesting adapting to forecheck speed at next level thus not much to worry about. Displayed agressiveness on offense that I did not see last year. Defensive game is very sound and provides immediate improvement over UMaine departures from a year ago. Top four defensemen from day one (perhaps two pairing?). Still 2018 NHL draft eligible and would not surprise me if he is drafted (admittedly I am still surprised he wasn’t drafted last year).

Tiuraniemi: B+
            Excellent vision. Outlet passes from own zone led to many chances up ice in transition. Crafty with the puck. Poised in the offensive zone. Walked the blueline very well. Good pokecheck despite average size. Smooth skater with speed. Able to chase puck down. Looked very good on PP. Had perhaps best display of skating of anyone on the night when he put a move on a forechecker and caused him to go crashing into the boards. Not overly physical but doesn’t shy away from contact either. Had a poor tripping penalty in the neutral zone, where he tried to poke the puck away and completely missed and got the skates instead. Took a second penalty (interference), something to watch but penalties have not been a concern for him in the past (10PIM in 61 games last year including playoffs) .

Keeper: B
            Great to finally see him in person and against higher level competition. Quick hard accurate and low wrister from the point. Poise and vision in offensive zone are easily noticeable. Excellent anticipation of the developing offensive play. Does not force the puck. Game did not seem to fast for him. Needs to work on defensive positioning and gap control. Did not see a lot of time PK. Good but not great speed will probably keep him on the blueline long term. Made a couple of poor turnovers in defensive/neutral zone, perhaps game speed adjustment is all that is needed. Did not look out of place against better competition. Simply put, offensive minded defensemen who looks to create first and score second, elite PP skills. As with others in this class a testiment to the recruiting efforts and thoroughness of Red, Gutie, Leach, & Alfie to find a player that was largely overlooked.

Herner: C
            Imposing size on the ice, with immense length. Maintains position down low. Battles opposing team F to prevent position. Not overly physical along the boards, seemed to prefer to bear down on forwards as opposed to hit them. Did a good job getting the puck out of the zone. Kept the offensive play in front of him and did not get beat in transition. Needs to work on speed. Too often chased the offensive play. Needs to use length more to disrupt play with stick. Was not able to get a good assessment on offensive abilities. Did not disappoint or impress. Raw player still requiring development.

Goalie
            Swayman: A-
            Displayed great poise and an aggressive style. Extremely athletic. Multiple grade A saves. Very good stick. Had one grade A save in the 3rd off a rebound where he poked the puck away from offensive player stick before shot and quickly covered with glove. Comes out of crease to take angle away which means weak side defensemen will need to maintain position to take away weak side rebound or one-timer as witnessed by Acadia’s lone goal. Has all the tools. Development is key. Glad Alfie is around to work with him everyday. Will be fun to watch in Orono!
            UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Think I might go to a game this weekend. Seeing some of younguns in person sounds like a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Think I might go to a game this weekend. Seeing some of younguns in person sounds like a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                Plenty of seats to choose from.

Comment

Bhall: great summary. Swayman may be the key. Now lets see if Red can put this together into something that works.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    I saw the Prices and had to look twice, stopped and went the other direction...NOPE not very Fan friendly....and the stuff is BAD to boot.
                    Did they raise the price of a baked potatoe again?

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      Did they raise the price of a baked potatoe again?
                      Real Mainers pay anything for that "treat"...it's the other items that are too high and more or less not very good to eat...unless your coming in and want something quick and don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                        Real Mainers pay anything for that "treat"...it's the other items that are too high and more or less not very good to eat...unless your coming in and want something quick and don't care.
                        It's already too expensive for Real Mainers. Not that they'd notice because they're already priced out of the market for tickets, so will never see it.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          It's already too expensive for Real Mainers. Not that they'd notice because they're already priced out of the market for tickets, so will never see it.
                          Well I guess the bottom line is we or you or others don't have to buy the products that are over priced...period. Ticket prices will always bring out the worst when losing and when they are winning, well it takes the bite out of it....imo.

Comment

Waterfront Concerts is apparently running concessions this year...which explains the high prices. Gotta put more $$$$$$ in Alex Gray's pocket somehow

Comment

I saw the team play on Sunday and I thought they looked pretty good. Tralmaks especially stood out to me, he had good hands and good speed and was making plays all over the place. Swayman also looked good, he appeared to be comfortable in the net and had no real chance on the one goal that was scored on him. The added depth will be huge, they won't have to rely on the top line and top pair for 20+ minutes per game and it should allow energy to be more evenly spread and I think that will help them stay in games. I am expecting 3/4 points this weekend against Connecticut and if all breaks right for Maine, I could see them placing as high as 7th, but that's a very optimistic projection.

Comment

So it looks like what used to be the center ice club is now an exclusive bar for people who pay $2K a season.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X