Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Former Maine goaltender Sean Romeo is 1-1-1 for Ohio State, GAA @ 1.95 and Save % @ .913

Comment

North Carolina basketball can commit academic fraud and the NCAA will still look the other way. If you generate cash the rules don't matter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Red really only has two classes of his own so its not surprising he hasn't put any guys in the NHL. I think Michel and Pearson definitely make it though. There are some other guys who have a shot. Is guys in the NHL really a good way of measuring how good recruiting is? If you look at Maine between '99 and '07 there wasn't a ton of NHL talent and those teams were all very good. I'll take a team of Peter Metcalfs and Colin Shields any time.

We'll agree to disagree on Maine's future. I really hope you are wrong though!
        What it come's down to is Gendron has to produce, no more excuses in what he has for recruits, his job is to recruit along what he has on his present roster and that also means his Assistants Guite/Michuad and the four years before with Leach have to be held accountable also. You deal with what you have and move forward, for an example when Bazin and Leaman took over @ UML & PC they had some talent but they hit the ground and did there jobs in recruiting and since they have been there both have produce...period. It's time for Gendron and Staff to move forward....we all bleed for this program...at times it may sound or seem negative but it's in how you look at it. NOBODY wants to see it fail.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          north carolina basketball can commit academic fraud and the ncaa will still look the other way. If you generate cash the rules don't matter.

Sent from my sm-g950u using tapatalk
          $$$$$ = nc$$....and hockey is a after thought while the big $$$$$$ controls the NCAA/as in Basketball and Football.

Comment

At least Maine football beats the teams they should.

Comment

BTW, Scared Heart beat UConn

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                BTW, Scared Heart beat UConn
                Among other bad results for Hockey East. As I said prior to the season, Hockey East is going to be awful this year. It's one of the things that gives me a lot of hope for Maine.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

You say that every year and are usually wrong. But yes this year it could actually be true.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    You say that every year and are usually wrong. But yes this year it could actually be true.
                    I don't think there is much doubt the league has declined a lot over the last 10 years. Mass used to produce a lot of kids and just doesn't anymore. I've seen Jeff Cox post on twitter that it just costs way too much around here and it discourages a lot of kids. I don't know that from personal experience but it would make a lot of sense. I wonder if the USHL being in NCHC/Big 10 territory gives them a big advantage as well.

Don't you think BC has declined quite a bit over the last six or seven years? How many guys from this year's team get in say the 2010 team? I can't imagine it would be more than four or five.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I don't think there is much doubt the league has declined a lot over the last 10 years. Mass used to produce a lot of kids and just doesn't anymore. I've seen Jeff Cox post on twitter that it just costs way too much around here and it discourages a lot of kids. I don't know that from personal experience but it would make a lot of sense. I wonder if the USHL being in NCHC/Big 10 territory gives them a big advantage as well.

Don't you think BC has declined quite a bit over the last six or seven years? How many guys from this year's team get in say the 2010 team? I can't imagine it would be more than four or five.

Didn't HEA have four teams in the NCAA's last year? I don't remember the actual number, but this league is still relevant.

Having said that, we're looking forward to see Maine football and field hockey this coming weekend. I'm all about going Blue, and those programs are still alive.

Hockey might be, too... Is any program "elite" anymore?

( Still, I just don't see any chance. This is Red's team, as was the last one, and it looks pretty bad. I never thought I'd miss Timmy, but I do, lately. )
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-15-2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        Didn't HEA have four teams in the NCAA's last year? I don't remember the actual number, but this league is still relevant.

Having said that, we're looking forward to see Maine football and field hockey this coming weekend. I'm all about going Blue, and those programs are still alive.

Hockey might be, too... Is any program "elite" anymore?

( Still, I just don't see any chance. This is Red's team, as was the last one, and it looks pretty bad. I never thought I'd miss Timmy, but I do, lately. )
                        I don't miss Timmy. He did well with Grant, after that not so much.

Is Miami any Good? hope to be there Friday. 2 weeks to prepare

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          Is any program "elite" anymore?
                          Sadly, I think we all know the answer to this question...

Comment

My nuanced take on Whitehead:

1.) The decline and fall of Maine hockey was going to happen regardless, due to economic and demographic factors well outside his control.
                            2.) Despite that, he probably needed to go to confirm that he wasn't the issue.

Shawn Walsh was a once per generation coach. Maine came on the scene at the right time to be able to spend gobs of money on having top notch facilities and budgets as compared to the rest of college hockey.

Unfortunately, Shawn's death coincided with the time when bigger and/or richer schools got more interested in hockey and started spending more money on it, and a decline in the fortunes of Eastern and Central Maine as a whole, which reduced Maine's ability to keep up with the Joneses on all the off ice stuff.

Without one of the 3 or so best coaches in the game, Maine hockey was always going to turn into the sick old man of Hockey East. Still, it was worth seeing if a coaching change would inject some life into the program. Whitehead had long enough to show he couldn't turn it around. Whether Red was the right hire, I don't know.

Looking back on it, the run of national championships by LSSU, Northern Michigan and Maine was absolutely bonkers.

Comment

This is a situation that could get worse in years to come
                              The Big Ten (own network) and NCHC (cbs sports) have national TV contracts
                              Hockey east will only have its tournament on national TV
                              League has failed to get a contract after ASN thankfully went out of business

Comment

Is Miami any Good? hope to be there Friday. 2 weeks to prepare

Miami/Ohio is 0-2-0 to date, they lost two games to Providence last weekend by the scores of 3-1, 2-1 and this weekend they played the US Development Team and won 7-5.

Comment

Working...
                                X