Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Quiet around here....

Weekend Preview from UMaine
    http://www.goblackbears.com/news/201...ar-season.aspx
    UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
      Quiet around here....

Weekend Preview from UMaine
      http://www.goblackbears.com/news/201...ar-season.aspx
      It seems that during Maine's decline over the last 10 years the number of posters and number of posts about what happens on the ice have declined as well. I'm going up to the game tonight and am excited, even though it probably won't be one of the more exciting games of the season. It seems that most of the Maine-Uconn games have been pretty boring. These two games are ever, ever so important though. This is one of Maine's better chances to get points in hockey east and they need to take it.

Do you have any projection on the lines? I would expect to see Holway, Smith, and Robbins all come in if they're healthy. Red is going to have tough calls on the last dman and last forward.

I'm going to predict Maine 4-2 tonight and a 2-2 tie tomorrow night. Hopefully Maine does no worse than a split.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Do you have any projection on the lines? I would expect to see Holway, Smith, and Robbins all come in if they're healthy. Red is going to have tough calls on the last dman and last forward.
        Very difficult to predict. I'll give you a rambling stream of consciousness response, none of which I would testify under oath. I expect more than 18 players to skate this weekend. But even that prediction depends on tonight. Based on the exhibition game I think Vesey-Pearson-Tralmaks is probably a good prediction. Beyond that so much depends on who Red slots up the middle. Based on the exhibition game you would expect Pearson, Shea, Holesinsky, and Lacroix. But there is always Pieper who is a bit of a wild card at this point because he has not played significant game time hockey minutes since 2013-14 (BCHL). Maybe Pieper was banged up last week but I was surprised he didn't play. Last year a couple of the freshmen played off position but I suspect that was mostly due to a lack of depth. If Pieper plays I would expect Red to slide Shea back to wing, even though I think he impacts the game so much more at C, which has a sort of domino effect by likely pushing Fossier back to the left side, etc. As you said, assuming good health Holway, Robbins, and Smith play. I think Doherty and Holesinsky will stay paired together and perhaps Robbins slots in on the right side with them. Given Holesinsky's vision and passing and the speed of Doherty/Robbins that could provide for some interesting offensive potential. Housakos/Pappalardo/Perez/Hayes could see a game this weekend. Of this group I would give the edge to Housakos (Swiss Army Knife) who looked strong on the week last Sunday. Pappalardo, who looked overwhelmed by the speed of the game last year, looked much more comfortable. I was actually surprised at how well Malcolm look during the exhibition game. I wonder if health and development have finally come together for him where he could provide some quality minutes here and there on the checking line.

In my mind the D is less complicated with Hamilton, Michel, Holway (health?), Binner, Tiuraniemi, Muehlbauer, and Keeper all playing this weekend. I suspect Keeper gets in there Saturday and either Tiuraniemi or Muehlbauer sitting. If Holway has a health concern that keeps him from action this weekend (**** Red and his secrecy) that the other 6 play both games.

In net I think we all know how that will go.

Regardless of who Red & Co. go with this weekend they are going to have carry the play and capitalize. UConn is built from the sieve out with one of the top sieves in the country and some underrated dmen (Masonius, Gendron, Pratt, Nyberg, Drake, Karashik). Lehtunov is an elite playmaker and apparently rededicated himself to fitness over the summer. Look for him to be setting up Naas and El-Mir all weekend for good scoring opportunities. Also of note Ben Freeman, who will center the 2nd of 3rd line is from Falmouth.

Maine will need to control the puck offensively and keep the pressure on sieve. Play disciplined defense and not give up any lanes to UConn top lines. Use team depth to wear down UConn and take advantage of any turnover/slop that UConn gives us. Stay out of the box to limit PP opportunities for the aforementioned UConn top scorers.

In case you or anyone else didn't notice I am PUMPED for the game tonight!

Comment

Got a ticket for tomorrow's game, watching on the big screen tonight. **** or get off the pot time for Red and the bears. Win and get some excitement around the program. Lose and attendance continues to plummet. I'm picking a sweep

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Also heading down to the game tonight and really looking forward to see the new players and how the others have developed. Im not as optimistic, predicting a split for the weekend. I just no longer have confidence in the coaching staff, the past is a better predictor of the future, like the stock market.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              So it looks like what used to be the center ice club is now an exclusive bar for people who pay $2K a season.
              Yes, that would be a $1.700 increase to much for this 26-year member and his wife.

Comment

• Same lines as last Sunday

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                  Same lines as last Sunday
                  Sorry same as last week except no Holesinsky. Doherty playing center with Robbins on the wing

Comment

Far too many penalties for Maine. Uconn pp moves the puck quickly, Maine not so much

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Far too many penalties for Maine. Uconn pp moves the puck quickly, Maine not so much

2 1 Maine, nice shot by michel

Comment

Maine looks faster than last year but still not as fast as uconn. Poor discipline, stupid penalties. But have a 2 1 lead. Doherty is the real deal.

Comment

Housakos looked way overmatched on the penalty kill, he was running all over the place. Tralmaks again has good speed and skill but I feel like he's been selfish with the puck. Tiuraniemi has made some good plays but took a silly penalty. Let's see how they come out in the second.

Comment

3-2, maine still taking penalties.

Comment

Wasn't pretty but it's 2 points

Comment

Maine played hard all game, Looked slower than UConn at times but considerably faster than last years team, more depth on the lines and on D. Bubba made 1 mistake(2nd goal) but looked really good for most of the game. Like Doherty, Tralmaks and Brady Keeper,he likes to jump into the offense. It seems everyone was throwing puck on net and actually making the goalie stop the puck unlike last year hitting the boards or glass. Also quite physical but too many penalties including a too many men with 2 minutes left, W TF. Maine forced that turnover up high and Vesey took off, great shot and everyone went home happy Hope they play well this afternoon.
                                http://bangordailynews.com/2017/10/0...am-past-uconn/
                                Last edited by walrus; 10-07-2017, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X