Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    Is "Ocean Drive" the same as Park Loop Road?

Also it sounds like you can do Mt. Cadillac in a couple hours and hit the trails up and down and be good?
    Ocean Drive is the section of Park Loop Road between the Sand Beach entrance station and Otter Cliffs.

If you want to hike Cadillac Mountain rather than drive, the fastest way up is probably the North Ridge Trail (about 4-4.5 miles round trip, moderately difficult). I suggest going up the Gorge Path (about 2 miles one way) and coming down the North Ridge trail. The Gorge trail is more strenuous but is more interesting on the way up.

If you're not afraid of heights, I might drive up Cadillac and check out the views and then continue on Park Loop road and hike up Precipice (do a google image search of the "Precipice Trail, Acadia National Park" for a preview). The Sand Beach/Ocean Drive part of the loop is after the Precipice parking.

If you stop in the visitor's center first and tell them how much time you have, they can suggest some options in the park to hit the highlights. This is my suggestion for a day trip:

Stop at Hulls Cove Visitors Center, purchase park pass (if you don't have a NPS annual pass), talk to a ranger at the information desk.

Bring a picnic lunch.

Start your drive on Park Loop Road
    Drive up Cadillac Mountain
    Continue on Park loop road to the Precipice Trailhead Parking. Hike up the Precipice to the summit of Champlain Mountain. Hike down Champlain North Ridge until you get to an intersection where you will go right towards the Orange and Black trail. At the end of the short connector from Champlain North Ridge to Orange and Black you are going to go right back towards the Precipice. When you meet back with the Precipice hike down to your car.
    Continue on Park Loop Road to Sand Beach/Ocean Drive. Depending on how much time you have park somewhere and walk along Ocean Drive (there is a path from Sand Beach to Otter Cliffs).
    Continue along Park Loop Road, maybe stopping at Jordan Pond House for tea and popovers.
    Finish the loop and drive into Bar Harbor for dinner/beer. Blaze has the best line up of taps in Bar Harbor.

If you are afraid of heights, don't do the Precipice and modify this plan. Maybe hike Cadillac North Ridge (or Gorge Path on the way up, North Ridge on the way down). Talk to a ranger in the visitors center about your plan and maybe they will have some suggestions. If you're short on time, do the same drive, but hike up the Beehive instead. It's a very short hike. I usually come back down the back side to "The Bowl" and then hike around the base of the Beehive back to the car. You can do this hike in an hour.

Keep in mind this time of year you'll start losing daylight early. I think sunset will be around 5:30 and it will be totally dark by 7.
    Last edited by BassAle; 10-24-2017, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      Ocean Drive is the section of Park Loop Road between the Sand Beach entrance station and Otter Cliffs.

If you want to hike Cadillac Mountain rather than drive, the fastest way up is probably the North Ridge Trail (about 4-4.5 miles round trip, moderately difficult). I suggest going up the Gorge Path (about 2 miles one way) and coming down the North Ridge trail. The Gorge trail is more strenuous but is more interesting on the way up.

If you're not afraid of heights, I might drive up Cadillac and check out the views and then continue on Park Loop road and hike up Precipice (do a google image search of the "Precipice Trail, Acadia National Park" for a preview). The Sand Beach/Ocean Drive part of the loop is after the Precipice parking.

If you stop in the visitor's center first and tell them how much time you have, they can suggest some options in the park to hit the highlights. This is my suggestion for a day trip:

Stop at Hulls Cove Visitors Center, purchase park pass (if you don't have a NPS annual pass), talk to a ranger at the information desk.

Bring a picnic lunch.

Continue on Park loop road to the Precipice Trailhead Parking. Hike up the Precipice to the summit of Champlain Mountain. Hike down Champlain North Ridge until you get to an intersection where you will go right towards the Orange and Black trail. At the end of the short connector from Champlain North Ridge to Orange and Black you are going to go right back towards the Precipice. When you meet back with the Precipice hike down to your car.
      Continue on Park Loop Road to Sand Beach/Ocean Drive. Depending on how much time you have park somewhere and walk along Ocean Drive (there is a path from Sand Beach to Otter Cliffs).
      Continue along Park Loop Road, maybe stopping at Jordan Pond House for tea and popovers.
      Finish the loop and drive into Bar Harbor for dinner/beer. Blaze has the best line up of taps in Bar Harbor.

If you are afraid of heights, don't do the Precipice and modify this plan. Maybe hike Cadillac North Ridge (or Gorge Path on the way up, North Ridge on the way down). Talk to a ranger in the visitors center about your plan and maybe they will have some suggestions. If you're short on time, do the same drive, but hike up the Beehive instead. It's a very short hike. I usually come back down the back side to "The Bowl" and then hike around the base of the Beehive back to the car. You can do this hike in an hour.

Keep in mind this time of year you'll start losing daylight early. I think sunset will be around 5:30 and it will be totally dark by 7.
      I believe he's going to the game Friday. Shouldn't he be on his way by 5:00 or so? I strongly recommend driving up Caddilac where he has limited time. The views are absolutely stunning and for me that is the best part of the island.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        I believe he's going to the game Friday. Shouldn't he be on his way by 5:00 or so? I strongly recommend driving up Caddilac where he has limited time. The views are absolutely stunning and for me that is the best part of the island.
        That's true.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Bring a picnic lunch.

Thank you so much! We'll only have from about 9 to 4 so hopefully I can figure something out and do it!
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Looks like they will be unveiling a retro jersey Friday night

Comment

• Looks to me like the original jerseys Maine wore in the inguaral seasons in the Tortorella era.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                Looks to me like the original jerseys Maine wore in the inguaral seasons in the Tortorella era.
                As in, when both brothers were playing..?

i was there, know them both. Pretty sure that you got this one: the sweaters are the same ones they wear now.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-25-2017, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  As in, when both brothers were playing..?

i was there, know them both. Pretty sure that you got this one: the sweaters are the same ones they wear now.
                  There has been a few changes since the they had the just printed out MAINE, to the round shape M in script to the present day M in script that has a shaper angle....plus the MAINE sweater more or less on the arm looked like BU and Detroit Red Wings style. Plus colors were lighter then changed up to be darker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    There has been a few changes since the they had the just printed out MAINE, to the round shape M in script to the present day M in script that has a shaper angle....plus the MAINE sweater more or less on the arm looked like BU and Detroit Red Wings style. Plus colors were lighter then changed up to be darker.
                    If I don't see script Maine on a jersey this weekend I'll be sorely disapointed.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                      Thank you so much! We'll only have from about 9 to 4 so hopefully I can figure something out and do it!
                      Since grad school days during early 70s in Orono, I have spent a lot of time on The Island, and I endorse the excellent itineraries above that your local hosts have provided. Off-season always has been my favorite time in Bar Harbor and Acadia NP. Fees tripling for next year. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        If I don't see script Maine on a jersey this weekend I'll be sorely disapointed.
                        They really should bring back that script style from the late 80's, early 90's. Has the best look on the jerseys IMO.

I've been trying to pick one of those up on eBay, but no luck. If anyone has a large they'd part with PM me.

Comment

Any predictions? I can't, based on what I saw last weekend Maine could sweep, split or get swept, not much of a guess.
                          Looking forward to seeing Duluth in any event.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                            Any predictions? I can't, based on what I saw last weekend Maine could sweep, split or get swept, not much of a guess.
                            Looking forward to seeing Duluth in any event.
                            Couldn't agree with you more
                            UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

I bought tickets to see Duluth Maybe Maine will show up, who can predict that

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

As of 2pm there were 993 tickets for the upper bowl remaining for tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X