Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Exhibition win, whoopie doo, better than losing like last year though Thought Swayman looked good, Tralmak, Doherty also. Need a D1 team before one can tell much but I like what I saw. Couple of the freshman D can shoot.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

We finally have some actual hockey to talk about!

Very impressed with Tralmaks, Binner, Westerlund and Keeper among the incoming crop. Kept thinking Tralmaks was going to get on the board as he was creating a ton of chances. Binner made an excellent pass on that first goal by Holesinsky and looked very sound in all three zones. Westerlund was around the net and with his size and skill should be a menace all season for opposing. Not sure how much PP ice time they will give Keeper but he looked like a natural PP QB on the blueline.

A couple stupid penalties (Tiru and Perez) gave Acadia unnecessary PP's which better teams will kill Maine with if they continue but Maine was pretty disciplined overall in what was a very chippy game.

Swayman faced a lot more pucks than Bubba but showed why he was drafted. Good reflexes and very flexible, he had to make some very tough saves on defensive lapses and his only goal came on a cross ice pass on the PK.

Overall they dominated the puck battles for 2.5 periods before Acadia got a little life later in the third. The size of this team makes me think they will win plenty of battles and I can't see them finishing last in Hockey East.

Comment

Really like the Westerlund, Shea, Fossier line. Shea is much more impactful playing up the middle and Fossier back to his more comfortable RW along with the power and sniper ability of Westerlund could provide for a lot of production. Doherty Holesinsky and Papparlardo line was quite impressive as well. Doherty was an animal from the get go. Great to see defensemen who can play defense. Binner comes as billed, shut down, and can skate the puck through the zone. Will be fun to watch this team come together. I really wish NCAA allowed an extra week of team practices prior to start of the season. A big 4 points on the line next week. Will be interesting to see the line formations and how the team plays when the games count. Glad to see Pearson with the C, he is the real deal, and hoping he is partnered with Tralmaks all year.
        UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          Nope. Him, Smith, and Holway are all missing. Maybe they're suspended? Hopefully none of them are hurt. Some of the turnovers were careless but overall I thought Maine played decent enough. Need to do a better job finishing in front.
          Listening to the pre-game and they didn't mention any suspensions...they did say that any minor injury's that Maine would hold out a player as it being a Exhibition game.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Herner looks slow. Hamilton with a c, lacroix with an A, Michel with an A

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            Pearson has a C

Comment

Uconn this weekend? That should give us a better idea what the compete level is for the Freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                Listening to the pre-game and they didn't mention any suspensions
                Nobody is suspended

Comment

Larry

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/10/0...n-over-acadia/

Comment

Are any players expected to miss this weekend's games? Hopefully none of the injuries are serious. I would expect Robbins and Smith to come in for Perez and Pappalardo. On defense it seems Michel, Hamilton, Tiru, Binner, and Holway are locks with Keeper and Muehlbauer fighting for the last spot. If Red goes for Muehlbauer does he put Keeper up front?

I thought Holesinsky was a bit under the radar, but looked like a good skater and had good hands. It's really encouraging to me that Red was able to bring in four good forward and maybe a fifth with Pieper.

I'm pretty fired up for the season now. This is Maine's deepest team in at least 12 years and in a lot of ways resembles the teams from the late 90's early 00's. I don't think they will have the same level of success but it is crystal clear Maine is going in the right direction.

It's sad we have to play UConn next weekend. For me those are two very important games and it would be nice if there was more time to prepare. It's the same for both teams though.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Are any players expected to miss this weekend's games? Hopefully none of the injuries are serious. I would expect Robbins and Smith to come in for Perez and Pappalardo. On defense it seems Michel, Hamilton, Tiru, Binner, and Holway are locks with Keeper and Muehlbauer fighting for the last spot. If Red goes for Muehlbauer does he put Keeper up front?

I thought Holesinsky was a bit under the radar, but looked like a good skater and had good hands. It's really encouraging to me that Red was able to bring in four good forward and maybe a fifth with Pieper.

I'm pretty fired up for the season now. This is Maine's deepest team in at least 12 years and in a lot of ways resembles the teams from the late 90's early 00's. I don't think they will have the same level of success but it is crystal clear Maine is going in the right direction.

It's sad we have to play UConn next weekend. For me those are two very important games and it would be nice if there was more time to prepare. It's the same for both teams though.
                      Am I the only one who thought Herner looked so slow he will never play? After all the rumors saying he was going to be a big help. Hopefully I'm wrong and it was just one game.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Am I the only one who thought Herner looked so slow he will never play? After all the rumors saying he was going to be a big help. Hopefully I'm wrong and it was just one game.

Couldn't agree more. I posted last year that if he was any good at all they would have played him. Yesterday proved this to be true. He's probably the ninth or tenth dman right now.

Comment

I wasn't too impressed with Tiru yesterday (maybe it was the penalties and being generally unnoticeable out there), but I would definitely want Keeper in the lineup for this weekend. Maine isn't going to be a strong offensive team so a lot of the breakout passes and offense will have to come from the blue line and I think Keeper is a better fit for that role. He and Michel together looked very good when they played on the PP, lots of crisp tape-to-tape passes. Would love to see more of that.

And I agree, very optimistic based on what we've seen from these most recent freshmen classes. The base is there for a very strong team, if Maine can bring in a high level offensive recruit (wishful thinking, I know...) just think where they could go. Shame we couldn't lure Wahlstrom up to Orono...

Comment

Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                            I wasn't too impressed with Tiru yesterday (maybe it was the penalties and being generally unnoticeable out there), but I would definitely want Keeper in the lineup for this weekend. Maine isn't going to be a strong offensive team so a lot of the breakout passes and offense will have to come from the blue line and I think Keeper is a better fit for that role. He and Michel together looked very good when they played on the PP, lots of crisp tape-to-tape passes. Would love to see more of that.

And I agree, very optimistic based on what we've seen from these most recent freshmen classes. The base is there for a very strong team, if Maine can bring in a high level offensive recruit (wishful thinking, I know...) just think where they could go. Shame we couldn't lure Wahlstrom up to Orono...
                            I don't think Tiru had a great game but you could see the talent. Where he is one of three lefties I think he has to play. I'm not a huge fan of playing two righties together unless you have no other choice.

I don't think Maine needs a superstar. In the modern game those guys don't stick around very long anyway. If Red keeps getting good three and four year guys we will be in good shape.

Comment

I don't think Maine needs a superstar. In the modern game those guys don't stick around very long anyway. If Red keeps getting good three and four year guys we will be in good shape.
                              Good point, I'm all for guys that want to stick together and develop. Let's hope they can hit the back of net!

Comment

The Capt and Assis are good choices. Awesome that Pearson made it as a soph. He will have a good career at maine and contribute greatly before he gets done.

I listened to the game on radio, sounded like good speed and tenacity chasing the puck in the offensive zone and not giving up. Lots of high and wide shots on net still. Some bad turnovers in the D zone still occurring, this has got to stop. Other teams convert it to a goal.

Bought tickets for uconn, miami and duluth, shocked at how many open seats there are.

Comment

Working...
                                X