Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Sorry to double-post, but as I lay in bed last night, it seems to me that Maine's best shot is actually to win the HEA tournament. That's a lot more doable than getting in via the PWR.

(The PWR is definitely not happening, but HE is fairly lousy this year... That could happen.)
    Definitely not happening? Maine hasn't even played half their non-conference games yet. Is making the NCAA's even the goal this year? I'd be happy with .500 and see it as a positive step forward.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Definitely not happening? Maine hasn't even played half their non-conference games yet. Is making the NCAA's even the goal this year? I'd be happy with .500 and see it as a positive step forward.
      Anything but the cellar in HE is an improvement, I'm still not convinced they can stay out of there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Anything but the cellar in HE is an improvement, I'm still not convinced they can stay out of there.

7th or 8th place maybe gravy for this team, if they continue to play hot/cold...then cold/hot in each series. One team that may have the bottom as for the way they've played this season is Vermont. IMO after the Friendship series Maine should go with Swayman on a 3 out each 4 games, unless he falters...time for him down the road to play back to back games. The bottom of Hockey East might be a toss-up from here on in, UConn/UNH/Maine/UMass/Merrimack/Vermont. HAPPY Turkey day to all...!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          7th or 8th place maybe gravy for this team, if they continue to play hot/cold...then cold/hot in each series. One team that may have the bottom as for the way they've played this season is Vermont. IMO after the Friendship series Maine should go with Swayman on a 3 out each 4 games, unless he falters...time for him down the road to play back to back games. The bottom of Hockey East might be a toss-up from here on in, UConn/UNH/Maine/UMass/Merrimack/Vermont. HAPPY Turkey day to all...!

I don't think home ice is out of the realm of possibility. Maine can really bury Vermont next weekend, and Merrimack hasn't been much better to start the year. That leaves only Massachusetts or Connecticut for Maine to keep pace against and we'll have playoff games at the Alfond.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
            I don't think home ice is out of the realm of possibility. Maine can really bury Vermont next weekend, and Merrimack hasn't been much better to start the year. That leaves only Massachusetts or Connecticut for Maine to keep pace against and we'll have playoff games at the Alfond.

Ya know, it could happen... Mostly because HEA looks pretty bad this year.

I hate the concept of AQ's, but if Maine gets home-ice in the first round, and then benefits from a couple of minor upsets to pave their way, they might conceivably get one... That's not nearly as remote a possibility as earning a berth via the PW, which is a practical impossibility IMO.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all you nut-case Maine fans! Reading my alumni magazine today (with PK and Monty on the cover) really made me look back with great fondness to what we used to have in Orono. Best college team ever in '93. Best program in the nation for years. They made me so very proud to be a Black Bear.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-23-2017, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              I'm very happy with 4-6 at this stage and think Maine has put themselves in great position to finish .500. The schedule in the second half is much easier and the games that really county are against UNH, UMass, and Merrimack. Those are the games Maine needs to win.
              You forgot UVM. That should be another two wins for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                I feel your pain, but Maine isn't a prohibitive favorite against anyone...

Sure, they need to beat the other bad teams to even have a sniff, but they really need to beat what better teams remain on their schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                  I think they'll come around a bit as the season goes on, ideally after they play Maine! In all seriousness, those are two huge games for Maine. It would be nice to take all four points and need at least two.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    I feel your pain, but Maine isn't a prohibitive favorite against anyone...

Sure, they need to beat the other bad teams to even have a sniff, but they really need to beat what better teams remain on their schedule.
                    I agree, I'd bet Maine won't sweep vermont, if history predicts the future Maine makes the Vermont goalie look like a brick wall on one of those nights

Comment

Any video streaming options for the Belfast games?

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        Any video streaming options for the Belfast games?
                        http://friendshipfour.com/2017/11/23...here-to-watch/

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          if history predicts the future Maine makes the Vermont goalie look like a brick wall on one of those nights
                          According to the Vermont thread, Lekkas is the only guy pulling his weight this year, so that very well could happen.

Comment

I guess first game is over, motor cycle racing on nesn. Clarkson wins first. I hope Maine shows up

Comment

Too many men, what the heck was that. it wasn't even close.

Comment

Just like Americans shouldn't be allowed to call football games, irishmen shouldn't be allowed to call hockey games. The accent is brutal. What happened to Doherty and Hamilton?

Comment

Working...
                                X